Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pay expectationsFor a 12-plex( i know, your prolly tired of this question)

Author Topic: Pay expectationsFor a 12-plex( i know, your prolly tired of this question)
David Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2002 11:15 AM      Profile for David Goodman   Email David Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, Heres the info on both the theatre and my-self
Brand new,12 screen movie theatre. Approximately 1800 seats.Approximately 2 to 2.5 million yearly box office(this could be more in theory, but lets just call it an estimate for now).
Assuming a $2.50 per cap gives you you about $1,125,000.00 in yearly concessions. I would assume a staff of between 40-60 people.

My info:
I have six years of theatre experince as an asst. manager at a drive in and 2,6 and 8 screen theatres. Experienced in all aspects of theatre operations. Liscensed Projectionist. I also have 3 years of retail management experience. So basically I feel I know what Im doing
Ive been out of the theatre biz for about 2 years now, and i was working for Carmike last( so i DONT want to think of what they would pay, im sure they would pay nothing)
So the questions.
Do you think Im qualified for this position( I certainly do, but im biased)
What kind of salary would you be thinking of?
Thanks in advance for your responses
P.S. I should also note that it is a smallish chain wiith about 10 theatres with about 100 screens, spread out in a lot of states.Im thinking im gonna have to be able to work rather independently. Hpe to here from everyone soon

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-12-2002 02:01 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you think Im qualified for this position?

What position? General Manager?

David Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2002 02:17 PM      Profile for David Goodman   Email David Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Yes, General Manager

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-12-2002 02:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Pay expectationsFor a 12-plex( i know, your prolly tired of this question)"

Not trying to be rude here, but if you want to be a General Manager, you should probably check out the spelling of your and prolly, as well as the proper places to capitalize words like For and i. You also have some serious problems with use of contractions in your post as well as other grammatical errors. Many places will not consider hiring someone based on a resume/application written like that.

David Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2002 02:46 PM      Profile for David Goodman   Email David Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be rude but........
Yes, I'm well aware that grammar and spelling are important. I did not feel that posting a quick question on a message board would cause such a harsh critique. I apologize for my poorly worded written post.I am quite capable of writing in a competent and professional manner when the need arises.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-12-2002 02:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's worth the extra time. No one here knows you yet and the only way people can have any idea of who they are talking to is by looking at your picture (of which you have not sent one in) and how you compose your posts. If you compose your posts in a teenage-chat-room style, people will assume you are at "that level" (for lack of a better term) and your answers to questions like this will be skewed. Hope that makes sense. It's not being rude, it's being helpful. I think you do see the difference, but if you don't see the difference, then no you are not cut out to be a General Manager, for you won't be able to handle criticism from the customers. As anyone with even only a few month's experience knows, customers can be ruthless!

In reference to your specific question, there are plenty of other people on the forum who can answer your question much better than I can.

David Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2002 03:10 PM      Profile for David Goodman   Email David Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mea Culpa.
I think I've started off rather badly here and I would like to nip this in the bud. I apologize for "just writing a quick post", and in future will take greater care with spelling, punctuation and grammar.I'm afraid that my typing is rather horrible at times, and on message boards and chat I tend to not corrcet myself. I would ask that future posts be focused on my original question, instead of my writing skills. I would like to add that I feel that this is a great site, and that I have learned (and remembered) a great deal. I registered because I felt that the people posting in your forum seem very intelligent and familiar with the industry.Thank you for your time
David
I also have every intention(if I'm given the chance)of trying FilmGuard. I've read great things about it.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 11-12-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say $28K but that's Canadian in a Canadian theatre.

Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 11:12 AM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the theater chain?

David Goodman
Film Handler

- posted 11-14-2002 10:28 PM      Profile for David Goodman   Email David Goodman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The company is called United Entertainment Corp.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2002 03:39 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

First off if you have to ask someone else if they think you are qualified, then you probably are not. To get a position of authority (like that of a GM) then you have to act like it is not you searching after them, but them searching after you.

You want to go at them with the concept of "It's your loss if you don't hire me."

Not "Hear are my qualifications. Do you think I am ready?"

Of course this would have to be done in a tactful manner. You also will need the goods to back yourself up. They are going to want to focus on the time you spent "out" of the business. You need to focus on the traits that you were developing.

Being a GM can be a lot of work. I used to be the GM of a 16 screen Regal Cinema here in Fairbanks, Alaska. It is a very busy theatre.

The question remains: Are you cut out for this?

Figure in the questions they will ask you and be prepared. Know what you are talking about. Don't try and fake your way through as that will always show up in the end.

If you don't know something, then let them know that you are willing to learn.

If you are not skilled at sending in resume's, cover letters, dealing in the hiring process,then get familar. You need to know what to expect. They are going to be detailed in hiring someone for that type of position.

I say if you are up for it. Don't take no for an answer. Be persistant. Good Luck!

------------------
-Joshua S. Lott
President & Owner
Consulting, Supply & Design

Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2002 02:03 AM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, $28K a year for GM? Out of curiousity, which chain do you work for right now?? How can a GM be making that small amount of money, especially for a 10-plex?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: