Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » manley poppers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: manley poppers
Phil Radosevich
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2002 09:49 AM      Profile for Phil Radosevich   Email Phil Radosevich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old Manley Popper That I want to fix. Does anyone know where to get parts for them

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2002 11:03 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know where to find parts for those things but we had one at our drive in years ago and that thing would make some popcorn. Those things I think were the cadilacs of the popper world back then.
One day I hope to obtain one myself.

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-29-2002 12:11 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In all my travels in the theatres, I only saw two of them. One was at Shelton, WA, (our theatre)(the popcorn machine was sold a couple of years ago) and the other was at the Fargo Theatre in Fargo, North Dakota where it sits proudly on display.

Those machines looked like they were built like a T-REX!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-29-2002 01:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had one. It was over 40 years old when we finally retired it, unable to get parts. I donated it to a school, where last I heard it is still in use (when they need something for it, they get the shop class to fabricate it!)

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you show us a picture of your treasure?

------------------
Samual Hunter Sr.

KC5ZSL

Rick Meister
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 11:36 PM      Profile for Rick Meister   Email Rick Meister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. been wondering if it would be possible to just mount a new kettle ,kettle brackets motor etc and keep the manly cabinet. I would think it would cut the cost down alot for us less aflluent theaters? what do u think? and where would a guy go to get it?

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 11:42 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know you can still get most Cretors parts ( they still support our 54 yr old one). Maybe you could mount them into your Manley.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 11:49 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that both Cretors and Gold Medal make a kettle conversion kit that allows you to install Cretors and Gold Medal kettles in your old Manley popper.

Phil Radosevich
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 08:24 AM      Profile for Phil Radosevich   Email Phil Radosevich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main thing wrong with the popper is a gear that turns the kettle. There are a few plactic peices broken. I had to rewire it about 5 years every thing else works well Its an old model 1 I think it came on the ark. I took it out of service 2 years ago it popped like crazy. Ill try to get a picture of it posted.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 08:53 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If its just a gear, try taking it to an auto parts store or a machine shop to find a replacement. It is a long shot, but worth a try.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 09:12 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The large brass gear is a frequent failure item. If that's the one you need, let me look around. We used to have several Manleys and I may be able to find you one of those gears.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 11-02-2002 12:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be a company called "The Boston Gear Company" in Seattle. If that company is still in existance, provide them with a sample and they could probably make one. They made a couple of gears for us that were needed for the Weber Synchrofilm Soundhead about 28 years ago.

I am sure other gear companies exist, but I am equally sure they would be very pricey.

Rick Meister
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 04:08 PM      Profile for Rick Meister   Email Rick Meister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is a guy and Lyle Turner I have his number somewhre that has parts or at least some parts for these machines. He wanted I am thinking $ 70.00 for a set of gears. I went to a shop and they ordered them for me . they cost $ 7.00 each. the gears can be gotten. also some of the fingers will unscrew and the spring can be replaced in them to work. I have yet to figue out what it is that is in the front of the fingers to make ontact on the kettle kinda looks like carbon from the old carbon arc machines. anyway it sill pulloff or wear out and needs to be replaced. if anyone knows about this please let me know

Phil Radosevich
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 05:08 PM      Profile for Phil Radosevich   Email Phil Radosevich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken It is the big brass gear Its about 2 1/4 inch with a 1/4 hole

Rick Lyle Turner is the guy I bought some of the kettle brushes you were talking about they connect the pwoer to the kettle But untill you said it I couldn't remember it thanks If you would so kind to send me the info you talking about

Rick Meister
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2002 08:28 PM      Profile for Rick Meister   Email Rick Meister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Phil

that number is 214 522-0990

that is a really old number I haven't called him in a long long time.
if it doesn't work let me know please so I can delete it too

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: