Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Exactly what different versions of LOTR:FOTR are on film?

Author Topic: Exactly what different versions of LOTR:FOTR are on film?
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 12:18 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK at least. We are having a showing of this soon and people keep bugging me and asking me if we are showing some un-cut version bla bla bla. (One guy mentioned an un-cut battle scene).
There was some kind of re-release in the states? But I thought that just had some kind of trailer for Two Towers spliced onto the end of it?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-15-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know (someone else can confirm), in the US, a new last reel was sent out to theaters, containing teaser footage of The Two Towers. Nothing else was changed.

The upcoming DVD release is supposed to contain a "director's cut" version. Maybe that's what those people heard about.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-15-2002 03:01 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's correct. The dvd version coming out for thanksgiving will be 20 to 40 minutes longer. It is not a re-cut of the theatrical version, instead it is the original cut of the film. Peter jackson cut both versions so actually they are both directors cuts.

The longer version, originally intended for theatrical release, was cut out of fears that no one would sit through a three and a half hour plus movie, no matter what it was. The same fears came up for Titanic, but that was a small hit.

I personally think it was to have two major dvd releases. It's money in the bag baby. People would not be able to wait three more months for the longer version, so they get the original, THEN also get the longer version.

It's all marketing. The original intent also was to release the films six months apart from each other, but the studio heads changed that to every christmas instead. Once again, they wanted to make sure they had the market bled dry on each film before releasing another one.

At least with the Matrix sequels, we wont have to wait but nine months.

Dave

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 04:49 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read on a website that LOTR:FOTR is being re-released on Australian cinema screens on November 14, the same week as the DVD release of the extended version of FOTR, strange timing?
I can't imagine that they would print up the extended version for this release though.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 09:38 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael

There was at least one print of Fellowship, UK124 ,which had a missing section at the end of reel 8. this is the bit where Sean"Boromir"Bean is shot by the orcs, a most painful experience, and then Aragorn beheads the evil bowman. This wasn't an authorised version but was the one screened for two shows here in Pictureville in January while we waited for a replacement print.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-17-2002 02:24 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The version I saw in the US was the "last-reel-sound-out-of-sync-by-two-seconds" version. But that version was soon censored, and replaced by the "last-reel-sound-in-sync" version.

:-)

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: