Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Foreign films with titles that are a bid doggy

Author Topic: Foreign films with titles that are a bid doggy
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 12:04 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've decided to program Baise Moi (f*ck me) in our November program. But the only problem I foresee is the posters. I don't want to upset (ie I don't want complaints from) French students who walk past our notice board in the students union.

Another example would be the film F*cking Amal what would a cinema do with posters for that?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

F*cking Amal also ran under the 'export friendly' title of 'Show Me Love', and you should be able to obtain posters for that.

As for 'Baise Moi', you shouldn't be afraid of offending French students with that poster. It's the name of the film...that movie is now part of contemporary French culture. Why ignore it?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-14-2002 02:47 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves me correctly, they had to rename The Pope Must Die to The Pope Must Diet in the US in order to avoid offending Catholics.

In my student film society days I managed to offend just about everyone by producing a poster for Die Hard with the slogans:

It's HARDER than a teacher training course!
It's HARDER than Ayrton Senna's cornering technique!
...and it's even HARDER than Singapore law!

There was an urban legend that teacher training courses were taken by people who didn't have what it took to do a 'proper' degree. Ayrton Senna, the racing driver, had just crashed his car and killed himself, while in Singapore a teenage vandal had been flogged for writing graffiti on a wall.

Complaints were made all over the place (not least because there was a large contingent of Singapore exchange students in the college) and in the end the posters had to come down. But they did the trick, though - we sold out almost 600 seats. So if you can handle the resulting flak, I'd stick those posters up all over the place - with the title translated in big, bold type!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-14-2002 05:23 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Publicity is publicity.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-14-2002 05:35 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats right, the catholics here in the states control just about whatever they want. Same movie, different title, so whats the difference? Its all in a name. Judge a book by its cover. Not too bright.

Dave

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-15-2002 02:47 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I wonder what the French are going to call the sequel to this masterpiece? How about OK, Bend Over ...

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2002 09:27 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,
If you are so concerned about offending people with your posters, then don't program the film. Plus, if you are only advertising on your college campus, mostly college-aged people would be seeing the advertisements, I would hope that the majority would have the maturity to deal with the language.

Michael Barry, not only was Fucking Amal billed as Show Me Love, but it also included an annoying and horrible English language theme song of the same name. Does anyone know if that some was on the domestically released prints?

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2002 06:20 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pope must Die was the release title in the US. IT was not until VHS that the title was changed. Even then it was a small t in a different font than the rest of the title.

Robb Johnston

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: