Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » ? for managers when interviewing someone for a job

Author Topic: ? for managers when interviewing someone for a job
Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2002 08:21 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got an interview coming up and need some advice. Should the interview get to the part of what I expect to get paid for the job I don't want to shoot the chance at getting it by expecting to much but I dont want to ask for to little. For those of you that have interviewed for a new employee what do you consider a good response from the person you are interviewing? How could one put the ball back in the other court with out naming a price right now? This job is for projectionist and then to lead to manager in January. I really need the job and just plain want to get back into the theater but don't want to come across desperate. Thanks for any advice. Brad if this is in the wrong forum please excuse.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 11:00 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on whether the person who is giving the interview is allowed to adjust the starting rate of pay. Most of the time it is pretty much decided from up above the corprate ladder how much a postion is going to pay and there is no way the person at the manager level to adjust said rate no mater the experience or qualifications. There have been times that I have fought for a higher starting pay because I really wanted to hire someone because of their experience but most of the time I am unsucessful.

Anyway to partically answer you question. When I am interviewing someone for a salried position at some point in the interview I will inform said interviewee as to what the job pays and then ask if that is acceptable. If it is ok than I continue with the interview and start explaining the benefit package and such. If that starting salary base is not acceptable and they have no basis qualtification wise to expect more than I end the interview right there. If they have a ton of experience or knowledge and I get the sence that they would fit right in to the position, than I will finish the interview and call my superiors and explain the situation and try to get a higher base rate (assuming that it isn't extraordinary higher than what was being offered).

Dave, I would find out what other projectionists are making or if you held that position before, what you were making then and keep your salary expections around there (probably less depending on if it is an entry level position, your experience, and the slow economy). Hope that this is a least somewhat helpful.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: