Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Master Of Disguise (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Master Of Disguise
Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 07:01 PM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know why i am getting this movie again we lost it about 1 and a half months ago ? is it a re release?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 07:43 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is a re-release ... they're trying to bump it up over $40,000,000.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 09:28 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You meant $40,000 right?

Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 09:29 PM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well thanks for the bad news

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 09:55 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I think he meant $40.00 !!!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please you have got to be kidding me

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2002 11:51 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No joke, Sean, my theatre got it as well. Granted its doubled up with something else, but still....

In my mind this makes no sense. Over $40 million? Maybe, but we dropped Trapped this week, you'd think Sony would have prefferred to keep that in first run rather than bring Master of Disguise back. The only other explanation I can think of is perhaps this is in response to Tuck Everlasting. There aren't a lot of kids movies out right now and maybe Sony is hopping to grab some overflow if Tuck is a hit. That's a stretch though.

Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2002 12:37 AM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
at my theater we are droping ----- signs , ballistic , spy kids2 , trapped , stealing harvard, master of disguise and xxx are going to be together also getting trasnsporter , rules of attraction ,and brown sugar

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2002 04:31 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Well, through Sunday, October 6, Master of Disguise has grossed $39,516,694."

That's an awful lot of money Sony is hoping to make off of that movie to hit the $40,000,000 goal. With any other movie, sure, but Master of Disguise???

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2002 09:30 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard something that a movies gross has something to do with the video market and how much the rental houses have to pay for copies, or whatever money they have to give a studio.

So, if a title is close to crossing a boundry like $40M, then the deal is better for the rental company.

Master of Disguise for us is playing the first matinee only and we also had a re-release of Bad Company a little while ago and this is where this info came from.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2002 03:47 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you just love how we have to jump through hoops for the films companies over shit like this. I really hope that they don't reach their $40 Million goal this week and have to hold it over. I am willing to bet money that if they don't hit their goal, we will be forced not only to keep the film, but run it for a full set of daily shows with the usual threat of pulling their next major film release off of our bookings.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2002 06:18 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Booking is an extremely complicated thing. Sony is an extremely good customer to have ... look at the phenominal year they're having. After providing us with many good movies this summer (Spider-Man, Mr. Deeds, Men In Black 2, Stuart Little 2), we should gladly do this little favor for them.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 10-10-2002 06:32 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if it doesn't pass the $40,000,000 mark this week?
Does that mean you get to put on your marquees HELD OVER second
exciting week.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 11:15 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that booking is a complicated monster. However, we are suppose to be in the business of making money the same as the film companies and I would rather use the screen on a movie that someone is actually going to go see. Instead we have to be the film companies bitch in order to keep them happy. This is not a good system. It would even be nice to be able to play the occasional art house film.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-11-2002 12:22 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get this....how does the distributor tell you what you are going to play? And if you are playing something that you would not book on your own, but are doing it for some kind of publicity for the studio, certainly you don't PAY to do them a favor like this, do you? I would four wall the theatre if they want to use my screen as a publicity gimmick, ESPECIALLY if it is to help the video rental store down the block who is my fierce competition. "You want me to play MASTER OF DISGUISE, great....give me the next upcomning Sony blockbuster for 50/50 instead of 90/10.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: