Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » GSTA Progress report

Author Topic: GSTA Progress report
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2002 11:25 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides Gordon and myself stumbling out of bars at 2:30 every morning
the conference is going great. Pulse - A Stomp Odyssey seems to be the favorite. It was mine and I look to it to win at GSTA this year. That is if The conference can not play politics and automatically give it to IMAX. Let's see if my intincts and faith in the industry hold up. IMAX is getting slammed this year by it's own theaters over the DMR process and showing 35mm on its screens. Lots of Great films here... Disney is releasing a <60min print of Black Stallion to only Large format next Sept. The trailer looks great. Let's see if the terms are. Will keep yu up to date.
BTW Gordon pulled off a flawless screening last night.. Congrats.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-02-2002 04:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Momentum didn't crash so we are all happy
Amazingly several people were asking us about booking the one new print of North of Superior

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-02-2002 10:17 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'll ask...

...what is GSTA?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-02-2002 10:25 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Giant Screen Theatre Association
http://www.giantscreentheater.com/

The conference is where Gordon shows up the guys/girls at the Paramount by running a flawless show. (Actually I feel sorry for them too, it'll probably be the only time they have a problem all year.)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-03-2002 10:39 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showing them up has nothing to do with it
Every theatre tries to present the best it can but
Murphy lives inside every electro mechanical device and comes out to play the most often when you have a big event and is most devious with the more important the event is

We have an excellent team here to ensure the best is presented
For GSTA we had our other 2 projectionists there as well
Vince Evola
David Callaghan Jr (his father was the first in the drivers seat of Serial#1 in 1971)
Peter Moser Technical Manager for the park
Ed Whelan,Lauren Bacala and Paul Panabaker from Imax
and our mentor John Gifford who probably had to kick this machine more often than all of us combined
Large Format festivals are a nerve racking experience with stress levels higher than most at the best of times and when things go wrong the mess is even bigger (literally a large format pile of )

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-03-2002 10:51 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little lost...forgive me if this is just an IMAX thing...

Is "The Paramount" a problematic theatre or something? What's all this about flawless presentations...you make it sound like a rare thing for IMAX...?

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2002 10:56 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trade show was way cool. Amazing the amount of attention one gets with "Film Buyer" tacked to the name tag. McGillvary had a cool party at the Centre for Spherical arts (a pool hall) but the SK Films party at The Church on Berkely got down....I am trying to figure out hoe to get to the Ontario Science Centre for my afternoon screenings....Missed the bus this morn...go figure.....attached pic of one at the sk party..

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-03-2002 11:09 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny said"Is "The Paramount" a problematic theatre or something? What's all this about flawless presentations...you make it sound like a rare thing for IMAX...?"
No Toronto has not had "problematic" large format theatres
And as for down time at least at cinesphere we are 98% up time or better and that is probably the norm for most institutional large format theatres

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-03-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just kidding about showing them up. They were just unlucky that night, as all of us have been at one time or another.

The Paramount is a very nice theatre, with big screens & big auditoriums, built above a Chapters Book Store. It's also one of the few that I know of that still 'introduce the feature' before the show starts on weekends. I'm especially envious of their cool Pioneer Plasma Displays in their hallways, that run trailers of coming attractions (Tribute.ca tapes if I remember correctly).

I've never had a chance to see an IMAX show there but I'm sure that it keeps them busy, like any large format setup would.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: