Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Professional Ethics

Author Topic: Professional Ethics
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2002 05:03 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a contination of the Would you do this? thread. I apologise to both Manny and Brad for not having made the subject matter clearer in my original post.

Returning to the principal point of my original post, is there such a thing as a cinema code of conduct either here in Australia or overseas? If not, do you think there is some merit in the idea of there being one? It would seem to solve many of the problems that I mentioned in my original post and would also set a defined standard for acceptable ethical conduct in the context of cinemas. We have standards for screen luminosity, film gauge and sound quality - why not presentation ethics?

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-30-2002 08:54 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well for me there is a PERSONAL code of conduct. I don't like giving a bad show for people who pay to see it. If the equipment breaks in my booth, which can happen quite a bit with ORC platters, I usually try to hide from the customers point of view while I quickly tend to matters. It's very embarrassing. And I don't want them to think it was because I wasn't doing my job that their show went down. It was because the machine is failing and it would be in the theater's best interest to replace the platter. But sometimes I can restore the show quickly (within seconds) and I hear the "well nobody complained" line from corporate so they don't see a problem. Hacks me off.

Customers spend approximately 10 times more time watching their presentation than they do in the lobby. Therefore anything that happens inside the auditorium is 10 TIMES MORE IMPORTANT as far as the customer is concerned. But if there was something defective in the lobby, I cannot tell you how quickly that would be taken care of.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 09-30-2002 08:59 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, all you can do is point out that there is a problem and leave it up to management to determine whether to run the show or not.

Joe is absolutely correct. All too often, theatre management decides that a problem isn't a big deal. They write: "the show was only off-screen for 5 minutes" in the log book. I have also seen: "Only four people requested refunds."

Meanwhile, if there's a shortage of hot dog relish on a Sunday evening they will send somebody out to locate a convenience store right away.

Should there be presentation standards? Well, okay, there are already standards, so I guess we're talking about "enforceable" standards.

My guess is that it will depend largely on who you ask. I think there ought to be a set of specified standards referenced in the distributor/exhibitor agreements. However, I'm willing to bet that many theatre owners would totally freak out if that was ever attempted.

~Manny.

I'm always hacked off.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2002 01:11 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think all management should be or have been a projectionist. I beleive this will allow for a better running of the booth. Because I was a projectionist, I make damn sure my projectionists put on the best possible show. It allows me to approach problems in the right light as opposed to somebody that does not have a clue. Joe is absolutely correct about the patron in the auditorium. We all may make our money at the stand, but we will not have our beloved business without the movies. That is what the patrons come to the theatre for. Not just popcorn even though I want to sell as much snacks as humanly possible.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2002 04:03 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny Wrote:

"Sometimes, all you can do is point out that there is a problem and leave it up to management to determine whether to run the show or not. "

Unfortunalty this is not always true. It is not always the management's decision weather or not to run a show at least at the theater level. Typically orders come from on high that the show must run unless the print is so damage that is not playable. So you byte the bullet, have the box office cashier inform the customers so the have a choice (I am totally against using signs unless absolutely necessary) and run the show as best as possiable until the replacement print shows up.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-30-2002 05:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During recent remodeling, we had new wall coverings installed. We were without our surround speakers for 2 days. I put up a sign stating there would be no surround sound at the boxoffice. (The movie at the time was "Ice Age.") While there were a couple of "Awwwws," nobody turned around and left.

People seem to become far more upset if the popcorn machine is on the blink than if anything is wrong with the film.

Manny Knowles

- posted 09-30-2002 05:37 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...Maybe I should've simply stated that sometimes the decision is beyond the projectionist's control.

But I feel that what Michael is saying actually highlights another layer to the problem. Namely, that quite often the people who are making these kinds of important decisions are not actually on-hand to witness the results of their decision-making.

For instance, it's very easy to say "the show must go on" if you don't have to lift a finger to put the show on...or if you're nowhere near the angry mob that comes out looking for refunds when the presentation sucks.

I'll add to this and suggest that we've got too many "business people" and not enough "show people" in show business today.

As for the customers not seeming to care about the presentation...It's probably a function of geography and/or demographics, so I won't agree or disagree with the statement. However, I will say that I believe there has been a steady decline in presentation standards and, hence, the general public has gradually become more and more tolerant of projection problems.

Then again, maybe that is cultural, too: It's probably a safe bet that a large portion of the moviegoing population actually gives a damn about the presentation standards in Burbank, Beverly Hills, Hollywood and Los Angeles.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-30-2002 11:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't saying people don't care about presentation. Most people will "put up" with a problem without grumbling if they're just told about it in advance. They still get to see their movie. But for some people, it just isn't a movie without popcorn, so if that element is missing, they get thoroughly annoyed! We've only had that problem a couple of times in my 23 years in the biz, thankfully.

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-01-2002 07:33 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Mike...but we need to level out the playing field.

It's unfair to compare a scratch in the film or "just mono today" to the whole popcorn machine being dead. It's more fair to compare the significance of the projector breaking down to the popcorn popper breaking down.

You could, however, compare something like the film going a little out-of-frame for an entire reel (or a delayed lens change) to something along the lines of "we're using Flavacol instead of Savoral" or "we have to use the canola oil today." Those are closer in nature because you still have the product...just not the way you usually offer it.

How far from standard can your popcorn stray before your customers get angry about it?

What about the movie?

Would you still say that they seem to care more about the popcorn?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-01-2002 11:10 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I think all management should be or have been a projectionist.

I wouldn't go that far, but I would insist that all managers spend at least 2-3 days in a booth as part of their training programme. The last cinema chain I worked for introduced this policy and it certainly resulted in managers who were more aware of, and sympathetic to, technical issues than in other places where the projectionists went in their black hole and were forgotten about... until something went wrong.

The other side of that coin is that trainee projectionists should be made - at least once - to usher a full house of customers in the aftermath of a box office computer crash...

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-01-2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been there, done that.

I used to give all of the incomming managers an entire month of training during their regular training period. Less than a year later, they can't remember how to thread because they are uniformly disinterested in doing it and, hence, staying in practice.

They also tended to break things during their training period and I never got the impression that anyone was making it mandatory that they excel in that area. They came in and played along and then that was it.

Nearly all of the managers are now banned from operating the booth equipment at their theatres. The only exception is the manager who actually worked her way from being an usher/concessionist through projection and then became a manager. There is a hefty penalty surcharge if any of the other managers are involved in a projection mishap that I am called in to handle.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2002 02:57 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I get exceptionally annoyed when a manager that is mostly clueless about the booth tries to give me grief over the stupidest stuff - e.g. trailers not playing in DTS in the DTS house - well duh! We don't have a third DTS drive for a subscription disc. >_<
...And questioning why it takes so long to get film work done. Demmit, haste makes waste - then the presentation would suffer.

Yeah, I'm just a little irritated with work right now. Someone managed to bust the handle on one of the two splicers we have - and not mention it in any of the logs, or leave a note for anyone...

Barry Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2002 09:57 PM      Profile for Barry Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gracia, I feel you on that last post. We had 3 of the 5 splicers in our booth with busted handles which just "happened" on their own. Nobody admitting to leaving them on a platter and then it falling to the floor. Nobody accidentally bumped it. It just happened. I have to say that for the most part the managers at my theater would listen when the projectionist said "no-go" on a show. Since most of them had no prior experience (at least with our specific equipment) they were more than happy to take our word for it. I would most certainly not allow a show to go on screen sub-par unless the company made it clear the problem was not going to be fixed. For instance, we have had the wrong lenses in 4 houses since opening day in '98, but they didn't think the problem was bad enough and in a big enough house (only 80-90 seats) to spend the money on. Some things you can learn to live with, but it still hurts to look at.

------------------
"The greatest thing you will ever learn, is just love and be loved in return."

Barry C. Martin
IATSE Local 182

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: