Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Regal -non competition clause? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Regal -non competition clause?
Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-21-2002 12:57 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does regal have a non-competition cluase that would prevent me from working at another theatre concurrently with the one i work at now?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-21-2002 01:13 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, unless things have changed. When I was with Regal, the District Mananger told me point blank that if I held a union card, I could not work for Regal.

Whether or not he was usurping his athority, I don't know. But the bottom line was, I had a union placement with AMC to service their equipment in the area since Regal wanted to remove all my benefits and reduce my hours. I turned that position with AMC down because of the statement Regal's District Manager made, and I have to admit it was a stupid decision on my part.

I told the District Manager to shove his company and his theatres where the sun does not shine shortly thereafter. I should have taken up AMC's and the union's offer, and told Regal to "shove it" earlier.

rant mode off!!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 02:32 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

If he told you that I believe he broke national labor law.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-21-2002 07:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean is right. An employer can no discriminate against a worker because they belong or do not belong to a union. I'd have recommended you call your local NLRB.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-21-2002 10:57 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me give you the details:

I have worked at Regal/Edwards for over a year as a ground level minimum wage employe. It has come to my attention that a local independant theatre is hiring, and starting their employes at higher than minimum wage. Ideally, I would like to divide my time between the two theatres.

I have a good thing going at Regal/Edwards. I provide outstanding customer service, work hard, and have high upsale rate at the concession stand. I really enjoy working at this location.

Since the independent only shows independent films, I don't think it should be considered direct competition to the Edwards/Regal Location.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 11:18 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - If the independent theater can give you the same amount of hours as the Regal/Edwards would, I would inquire with them and then talk to your manager. Explain that you like working at your theater, you are a good employee, been there a year, etc. but that a better offer has come along. Explain that it is not a chain and ask if it would be a violation of the clause. Don't indicate you want/plan to quit, but subtly indicate that they could be losing a very good employee if they don't pay you what you're worth.

If the manager realizes that she/he could be losing a great employee, they will try to do something about it, possibly a raise. If they seem indifferent or encourage you to go to the other theater, they unfortunately probably regard you not as an employee, but as merely "time on the clock" as most corporations do. Sad, but true. If this is the case, you may be appreciated more at the independent.

Paul -- Sounds to me like you were a victim of union-bashing. That's why I always carry a handheld tape recorder whenever I have to speak to superiors. It changes their tune really quick.

=TMP=

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 11:22 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

You cannot work for Regal and competition at the same time. This I know for a fact. However, you bring up a good point that they may not consider that theater competition. I still don't think you can work for Regal and any other theater at the same time.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-21-2002 12:05 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Steve and Thomas: I wanted to challenge them. Unfortunately, I did not have the time or financial resources to follow it through at that time. I was basically going to be out of a job soon, and I knew it.

This may sound sarcastic, but it is true. I don't know why Regal wanted to enforce the "non-competition" clause. Some theatres in the outlying area put on a much better presentation anyway. There was no competition to begin with.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2002 12:12 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a touchy subject in a way so here are my opinions. First off I believe that if you work on the floor staff and are not a member of the management crew, you should be able to work at the other theater. What information could you pass along that could not be picked up by the other theater anyway. Now if you were in a managment situation I feel that would be different because then you are privey to other info and the company would feel that you need to spend more time with them than someone else. If it is in writting and you signed a paper saying that you can not work at another theater while working at this one then You can't. Otherwise it is none of there damn business where you work or what you do on your own time.

As far as Paul's situation there is a problem when it comes to unions and non unions businesses. If the state has a right to work law in place then it does not matter if you hold a card or not. If there is no right to work law established then you must choose one way or the other you can't have both.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-21-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl has a point. It is a matter of which states do, and which states do not.

However, we have to be careful what we write here. Regal has "Lurkers" that don't have the intestinal fortitude to come forward and clear up some of the sticky points with us. When they read our posts, and if some of them were written by Regal employees, Regal takes a very dim view and will eventually find a way to terminate the employee.

Another point-blank statement I heard from the higher-ups was basically this: "If an employee speaks unfavorable about the company, that employee will be fired."

Sorry, I get a little steamed about this....I wish I would have had a pocket cassette with me when I was dealing with some of the corporate guys in Regal.

I trust people until they do something to me that will cause me to distrust them. I trusted Regal until I got the shaft.

Doesn't it seem strange that just about every ex-Regal employee has nothing good to say about that company? I have never heard of a company that has more disgruntled ex-employees than they have.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2002 12:42 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya Paul. I just talked to a guy the other day who left our company to go to work for Regal only to come back three weeks later with nothing good to say.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 02:29 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Doesn't it seem strange that just about every ex-Regal employee has nothing good to say about that company? I have never heard of a company that has more disgruntled ex-employees than they have.

I like Regal. I'm kicking myself for having left. I can't wait to finish school so I can get out of this town and go back to South Florida where I will have a large selection of Regals to choose from.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2002 04:11 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

As an hourly, I see no reason as to why you can not work both locations at the same time. Given the circumstances, and presuming you would explain them to your manager, I see no problem with working both locations.

I can say this, working for a major chain, as you do, you will often times not 'enjoy' your job as you should becuase of corporate structure and it's (sometimes) ineffectiveness. Your options could greatly expand with an indie and the rewards, both personal and financial could very well prove to be to your liking.

At any rate, take a few days to mull over the situation, talk to both theatre managers and explain the situation to them both. If either of them are worth their weight in salt, they'd be glad to have you whenever they could, if, of course, you are the employee that you say you are. I know I wouldn't have an issue with it, company policy or not.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-21-2002 04:20 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what Regal's concern is here. Certainly it would be unethical to share (non-public) company information with a competitor or to work as management for two businesses that are in direct competition, but what's the problem for non-management types? Last time I checked, there wasn't anything remotely secret or proprietary about running a booth or popping corn. And what about working for another theatre in a completely different market? It sounds like Regal wouldn't like this, either, but I can't imagine why.

Theatre work is a part-time "fun" job for me, and I work at several places, none of which are in direct competition with each other. I enjoy working in different places; all of them know this and none seems to care. I don't see why Regal would have an issue with it.

(If Regal really does have a perfectly valid reason for this rule, I'd be curious. And, no, I've never worked for them or in any other theatre in one of their markets.)

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-21-2002 04:38 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not going to give to many more details (ive been in trouble for posting to much info here before)

I brought it up with my manager. She doesn't know right off the top of her head, however she doesn't think regal would go for that. I told her that if she wanted to throw in a competitive bid (a raise, promotion, projection time, etc.) I would drop the situation.

BTW, the independent theatre i'm aplying to is Madstone Hazard 7 (Pictures from when Mann owned it are on the Film-Tech pictures section). It's almost a half hour from the Edwards I work at, so IMHO it shouldnt be considered competition at all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: