Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Unruly groups of teenagers in theatres (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Unruly groups of teenagers in theatres
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 03:22 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have attended many showings of movies that have had rowdy teenagers in them. I've never had a problem before, but this past Friday night, there was a rather disturbing incident at a showing of "Stealing Harvard" at Hollywood 18 here in Huntsville.

During the first few minutes of the movie, I noticed that there were many groups of teenagers, with 5 or 6 in each group, that would all get up and move around, and walk in and out fairly often. The auditorium was originally a standard seating type that was converted to stadium seating by building a walkway behind and on the sides of the stadium section. The rear auditorium seats not at the rear auditorium wall, but are 5 or 6 feet away, with a ledge behind the seats. If you look over the ledge, you can look down into the walkway. Teenagers have found that, as they walk in, if they bang on the walls of the structure that holds the stadium section, it makes a really loud noise, and several groups of teenagers did this as they went in and out.

Another thing I noticed was that an usher was in the auditorium the entire time watching the kids and making them behave and turn off cell phones, etc. This was the first time I'd ever seen an usher have to stay in the entire show. The ushers were doing a very good job at keeping things in order.

I was sitting in the center of the rear stadium row, mainly because nobody could kick the back of the seat and there is more legroom there between that row and the row in front of it. About 30 or 40 minutes into the show, a bunch of liquid came from above and behind me, hitting me and 7 or 8 more people near me. Someone had thrown a Coke from the walkway over the rear wall of the stadium section. Several others and I went out there to try to figure out who had done it, but whoever did it went out the door and were not seen by the staff outside. The person who threw the drink could have been someone that was in the theatre and did it as they went out, or it could have been someone who came in the auditorium door, threw it, and ran back out.

I went back in and sat in a different place and a few minutes later, the manager was standing behind me, so I went back and told her all about what had happened and what all the groups of teenagers had been doing. We went outside the auditorium and talked for a while about that and a lot of different things (projection equipment, movies, history of theatres in the area). I enjoyed my talk with her more than I did the movie. She got me a pass. Anyway, it turns out that there were two ushers in there plus one security person "babysitting" them. She said they had a lot of problems like this on Friday nights.

This was my 362nd visit to the theatres in my area and I'd never seen an audience like this one. These groups of teenagers weren't just rowdy and having fun -- they were true troublemakers, getting their kicks out of annoying people. The one that threw that drink over the rear stadium seating wall is a really dangerous one that needs to be caught. If he'll do that, he would do other more dangerous things to see if he could get away with it. There was one teenager in the lobby that one staff member pointed out that had been in trouble for throwing Cokes in another auditorium a few months earlier, but they could not say that he threw this one in #10 because nobody saw him.

Do any of you have frequent problems of this degree in the theatres that you run? I'm not talking about groups that talk or wiggle about a lot (that's normal for many teenagers) -- I'm talking about ones with a mean streak that want to annoy everyone. How do you deal with them and prevent them from being a problem?

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-15-2002 04:03 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans,

If I was the manager at that theatre, I would instruct my staff people to first warn them to behave. If that fails, those bastards should be kicked out of the theatre! If the staff suspect one or more of these trouble makers might become violent, the manager of the theatre should call the police first and let them handle the situation.

-Claude

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 04:48 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, I remember when we use to have a problem with teenagers many years ago. They would come in just as you described... groups of three to six, sometimes ten or more, each group sitting in a different section of the auditorium. They would move in and out of the auditorium to the lobby and restrooms and back. They would yell things across the theatre to the other groups, sometimes throwing things as well. They would bang on the seats, push on the backs with their feet ripping the seats from the floor. We had to be in there with them all the time. Fortunately this only occurred for one show a week. The 7:00 PM show on Friday evening. That show for some reason was always the teenagers social gathering each week probably because it was the first show after the week of school was over and they needed to let off some steam. We would throw many kids out each week, but you couldn't catch them all, and about 30 to 45 minutes into the show every week anywhere from 25 to 50 kids would all get up, all at one time, and leave and go down the street to the pizza shop.

This seemed to prove that they had no interest in the movie, it was just something to do, and they got their kicks out of either giving us, or our other patrons a hard time. We would normally get 50 to 150 teens every week for that show regardless of what we played. Once that group got up and left, we had no problems with the ones that remained. I think they were just as glad that the others had left as we were. Of course other people complained about them, and we did everything that we could to keep order, but it was impossible for several staff members to control fifty or more unruly teens. As a matter of fact, I would tell my patrons that there was only so much we could do, and that the best thing for them was to attend any other show during the week except the 7 PM Friday show. There was never a problem during any other show, except for maybe a Sat or Sun matinee, but those were little kids that didn't know any better.

We no longer have this problem, or at least it is something that happens very very seldom, and we haven't had the problem for over five years now. How did we solve our problem? Two things happened. First we made it known that those teens were not welcome. That helped a slight bit, but was not the final solution. We also raised our prices. We had been a dollar house, and therefore the teens didn't feel that they lost anything of real value when they were thrown out or left on their own. The rise to $3.00 made it somewhat less attractive to lose the money. However, the real solution was done for us. It was done by Regal, Carmike, and Hoyts. All three of them built major multi and mega plexes in our area. Keep in mind that we are a moveover run single screen theatre. Why did the building of those plexes change things when we had numerous multis in the area before and it didn't seem to matter? The teens were drawn to the new plexes for several reasons. Was it the large selection of films? No, as they could have had a large selection before in the six to eight plexes that had been around for many years. Was it the even higher prices being charged at the new theatres? Of course not, that would make no sense at all. Was it the stadium seating and digital sound? Maybe for some, but that still isn't the real reason. So what was the reason? It is the design and layout and admission policies of the new megaplexes. What do I mean by that? First of all, remember that at a single screen theatre the only reason to go is to see the movie. Sure some might have some video games in the lobby, but I don't. You buy a ticket and have it collected before you enter the lobby in a single screen theatre. In mega plexes (at least in our area)you buy your ticket and enter the lobby but don't give it to a ticket taker until either you enter the hallway going to the auditoriums or at the entrance of the proper auditorium itself. The theatre lobby has become a public space. It has many video games, usually a video room attached, and a large refreshment center, sometimes with national fast food outlets, along with tables and chairs where you can sit down to eat. It has video screens showing trailers of upcoming films. It has in fact become a FREE gathering place for teens to socialize in. They need not buy a ticket to enter. They meet there in small and large groups, have something to eat or drink, play video games or just sit around and talk, and then decide what movie to see if any at all. If they decide not to see a film it hasn't cost them anything other then the games or refreshments if indeed they had that. The new megaplexes have become the social nucleus for teenagers. The plexes have what the teens want, and that is good. Good riddance.

Of course shortly after the new plexes were built we saw a sizeable drop in attendence. That was not good. BUT... our problems with unruly teens disappeared almost overnight because they were the patrons that disappeared. And guess what? It didn't take long for people to realize they were gone, and our adult patronage increased. Especially our senior citizen admissions, which now make up as much as 50% of our patronage. After losing the teens we changed our booking policy, and stopped playing films of interest to them (no Austin Powers here), and started bringing in more semi art product. We now do very well again without the teens, and our new audience love having a place free of them. And my hair isn't getting gray anymore.

Of course this doesn't address how to deal with those problems in a megaplex, but both myself and my patrons are glad that the problem has moved there. This is another good reason for keeping a few single screen houses around. Maybe the singles could cash in by putting in there ads "Teen Free Zone".

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever "one of those" movies was coming out, (A night at the roxbury, Austin Powers, Varsity Blues, or any of those teen slasher flicks) our theater would always request two police officers to be present for the entire evening.

There were incidents such as kids trying to light things on fire, sticking gum on the port glass, messing with the work lights during the show, dumping popcorn off of the stadium seating onto entering patrons, throwing sodas, and worst of all: spraying the fire extinguisher into the audience!!

The officers would regularly walk the theaters, never in any set time pattern so as not to make people think, "He just left, so we have 10 minutes to goof off!" and this worked rather well to control most problems.

For a while, one of the officers would sometimes come up to the booth and look through the port glass so he could get a view of the entire audience without being seen himself. After he tripped over the film going to the platter and caused the shows to stop several times, the GM put a stop to it.

I personally try to avoid evening weekend shows of those movies to avoid rowdy crowds unless the experience would enhance the movie. (i.e. a really BAD movie that is itching to be heckled)

=TMP=

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-15-2002 05:45 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
"What?! My children would never act like that! How dare you even suggest it!"

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 06:44 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to deal with these types of problems before. In my experience, the best way to deal with this is not to let kids get away with this type of behavior. If they misbehave, throw them out. If they refuse to cooperate, involve your security. Ban repeat offenders from the buiding and, if they return, have them arrested. You will both solve your problems and get the gratitude of a vast majority of your customers.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-15-2002 06:46 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest way to handle that is to very politely invite them to shape up or ship out. If they don't comply, call the police and have the offenders removed from the premisis.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 06:55 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans: Have you brought up your problem with the Huntsville police? If they get a bunch of complaints like yours the police should assign uniformed cops with marked patrol cars for crowd control Friday and Saturday nights.

The Reading Cinemas in Manville NJ doesn't seem to have this problem since the theater draws mostly families and adults -- and the police station is only 1,000 feet away. OTOH if a movie has strong teen appeal (say, The Fast and the Furious) I don't go opening night.

At the AMC Hamilton and AMC (nee GCC) Clifton Commons, the ticket taker is at the entrance to the lobby. That means if you're not here to see a movie, you don't belong here. Police presence on Friday and Saturday nights helps as well.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-15-2002 09:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who throw sodas into the audience, vandalize things and simply behave like dirty pigs need a savage ass kicking --or perhaps a baseball bat slapped up side their heads. There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. I don't care if it falls into a category of a "teen needing to let off some steam."

I've seen a good number of instances of piggish behavior in movie theaters (seat upholstrey slashed and cigarette burned, armrests ripped off, candy and soda slung onto the screen). All of it needs to be severely punished.

When one considers video camera CCD technology has improved in the low light and infrared areas, I can see a day fast approaching where theaters aim such surveillance cameras at an audience. I'd love to see the look on some scumbag's face when the police and theater management show him on videotape heaving a coke into the audience.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep...you have to find a way to throw them out. Otherwise, you will lose the rest of your audience. And if you can catch them vandalizing the theatre, I'd have them arrested. Let their parents get involved and pay for the damages. And if you don't fix the vandalism, you'll have people unwilling to patronize the theatre even when the kids aren't there.

Post a few very large uniformed guards in the theatre during the show to enforce the rules strictly. I bet they wouldn't cost you more than 5-10 admissions. After that either those kids won't bother to come anymore or they'll keep quiet.

Also, I'd think raising prices for that 7pm show is a good idea.

I don't know if it's still there, but there was a small multiplex in the Union Station terminal in Washington, DC. Their policy was that if you talk even once during the film, they would throw you out. I thought this was a bit of overkill, but it worked.

I'm also in favor of throwing out anyone who is rude enough or stupid enough to let their cell phones ring during a movie.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Evans: Have you brought up your problem with the Huntsville police? If they get a bunch of complaints like yours the police should assign uniformed cops with marked patrol cars for crowd control Friday and Saturday nights.

No, I think the theatre staff is putting an honest effort into trying to solve this problem. The manager knows that I run a WWW site that many people read, and that comments about that type of activity would reflect negatively on the theatre. I told her that since this was the first time anything like this had ever happened, and since I was offered a couple of passes (and took one since I'd already missed 10 minutes of the movie at that point), I would not write about getting splashed with Coke on the WWW site this time. This manager is very friendly and nice, and I saw plenty of evidence of ushers putting great effort into making people behave in there. I will attend this theatre again for some Friday night 7ish showings to see if these types of things happen again. If there are problems like this occurring frequently, I will write about them on my WWW site.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2002 10:32 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My solution to this type of situation is FIRST OFFENSE throow them out. Post your rules on a poster in the lobby and if they break one throw them out NO REFUND! if they claim they want a refund tell them that you are only obligated to give them a refund if the theatre breaks the lisence granted by the ticket, if they break it (not following you rules) thats thier fault they broke the lisence no refund. SECOND OFFENSE if you can have the cops get thier name and send them (or thier parents if under 18) certified mail a letter saying that they are not allowed on your property and if they enter your property they will be arrested for tresspassing. THIRD OFFENSE have them arrested for tresspassing. once the word spreads that you dont play games your problems will dissapear.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-16-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think anyone intentionally disturbing customers (like throwing a soda on them or dumping popcorn on the heads of people entering the theater) should be permanently banned from the theater --even if it is the first offense. One would have to be taking maximum strength stupid pills to think such behavior causes no harm.

Anyone caught vandalizing theater property should be arrested, made to pay for the damages and never be allowed on the premises again (and emptying a fire extinguisher into the audience is vandalism).

I hate cellphones. It is bad enough that I can't seem to eat a meal in a restaurant without hearing phones beeping out their irritating fake tunes at high enough tones to make dogs in the next neighborhood howl. I have no tolerance for it in a movie theater. Unlike a crying baby, a cellphone is something the user can control. I believe people who allow their phones to ring in the theater should be kicked out of the show --especially if they take the damned call in the theater and start yakking away. For most people, they can leave their damned phones locked in their car. Most people have a cellphone for vanity/personal use anyway. If they have to have their phone with them all the time (particularly for business needs) then they can spend a little extra for that vibrating battery option. And when their phone buzzes --take the freaking call outside of the auditorium. Very simple.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-16-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too would suggest zero tolerance, zero exceptions for any sort of antisocial behaviour. When word gets round that it won't be tolerated, the offenders will usually go away and become someone else's problem.

Enforcement can be tricky in the early stages, especially if ushers are quite young and a bit intimidated at the prospect of having to deal with yobbos, but gritting your teeth and dealing with them before the problem gets serious will usually pay dividends later.

Phil Connolly
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2002 04:31 AM      Profile for Phil Connolly   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Connolly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a 'fun' experience a few days ago, I went to see 'Signs' and there was a crowd of about 7-8 teenagers, generally making a nusence of themselve's talking and walking in and out during the performance.

So much so that 'many' audience members had to tell them to be quite. This was at the Odeon, Leicester Square in London, so there were about 8-9 Ushers in the room that did little or nothing. I went to this theatre to escape noisy crowds - big, expensive mistake (tickets were £10).

I've yet to see a cinema kick unruly patrons out - It's never happened, if I was aware of a cinema that did that - I would without doubt be there number one customer.

I love film and the cinema experince as much as anybody, but this sort of thing is driving me to DVD.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: