Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Steep increase in AMC discount ticket prices (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Steep increase in AMC discount ticket prices
Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2002 07:03 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As of September 3, AMC (at least in Overland Park, Kansas) has eliminated their $3.75 twilight shows. All matinee shows before 6pm are now $6.50. After 6pm, adult admission is $8.00. That's a pretty steep increase. Knowing that for a movie in its first few weeks in release, 90% of that increase is going to the distributor. AMC has done an effective job in the area of eliminating the competition, but many people now cannot afford to go to the movies. Double ticket prices are rapidly converging with the price for a family to own the DVD when it's released.

I know you guys are theater managers and what not. I know that the distributors make your profitability in line with the American farmer. But does it really make sense to almost double your discount ticket prices when so much of that goes to the distributor anyway? I hate to say this, but couldn't a more moderate increase at the concession stand have brought about the same result without locking people out of the theaters?

And whatever happened to the idea that AMC was going to sell a monthly pass? Did the distributors nix that idea in the bud?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2002 09:11 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QUOTE:

quote:
Knowing that for a movie in its first few weeks in release, 90% of that increase is going to the distributor.

Only after the house allowance is subtracted from the total boxoffice. It's 90 percent of the "net", not the gross. In more cases than not, the floors have kicked in, even during the first few weeks, with 70 percent for the first week or two, then 60, 50, 40, 35 and out the door. Theatres actually generate more income from the boxoffice than is usually believed. It still takes both boxoffice and concessions revenue, however, to make a stable business. A larger percentage of a theatre's overall profit derives from the snack bar, but there's still some profit to be made from the boxoffice as well.

Jeff Leyland
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2002 01:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Leyland   Email Jeff Leyland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell,

Simple, just go up I-35 to the Cinemark Merriam.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2002 01:56 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dickinson still has several theatres in the area comperable to AMC as well...

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell is referring to shows that start between 4-6 PM, Monday through Friday except legal holidays.

The AMC Hamilton discontinued its twilight discount earlier this year.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-12-2002 03:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago when I was still dealing in 35mm management, I believe the minimum average ticket price most film companies wanted for first run was $4.00. It sounds like AMC got tired of paying 25 cents a head for the privilege of selling twilight prices. (Oversimplified, I know)

On the other hand, maybe they just decided that if the customers were willing to pay it at the competition, they might as well charge it too.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2002 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Friends told me that AMC raised prices the same way in Central Ohio. They are going to find alternate entertainment from now on, and I will be avoiding AMC whenever possible.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-12-2002 07:36 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least you have bargain times, in Manhattan at the AMC Empire 25
it's $10.00 all the time. The only bargain is the Loew's State in Times Square it's $4.95. It's no bargain to go to this theatre.
As a operator I've gone to this theatre about three times. It's
Film Done Wrong, every time. They have a electric marquee in Times
Square, it shows film that played at that theatre 4-5 weeks ago.

For the Worst operated Theatre, the award goes to the Loew's State
in Times Square.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 12:57 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to give props to the Times Square Loew's for an excellent incarnation of the vertical sign in the LED/fiber optic era.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-13-2002 01:52 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I qualify for senior citizen admission, I have not bought group tickets in years but I do know that our prices are the lowest in the country. Thank God, I qualify for senior citizen prices!

Here in Hawaii, all senior citizen ticket prices is $4.50 for all show at most of Conslidated's theatres and all of Signature's. Since I refuse to see Movies at Wallace Theatres, I have never bothered to find out what their prices are for senior citizens but I assume it is the same as the two other chains. The only theatres that charge more at Consolidtaed are the Ward 16 and all three Waikiki houses because they are the premium theatres in Honolulu. They all charge fifty cents more for their senior citizen tickets and regular admission. Their first class quality presentation however makes it all worth paying a little more.

-Claude

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 08:36 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can buy BLADE II the first week of release on DVD for $15.99 + get a CD of the music free. I can play it at my leisure at home as loud or as soft as I want, stop it when I please, and snack on popcorn at about $.30 a bag. I can buy two bags of miniature Milky Way and Snickers candy bars for $3.00 total. I can hear the film on a 6-channel system (yes, there is discrete 6:1 DTS-ES) and modify the system to match my personal tastes. Why should I spend my money at a theatre?

OR, I can stay home, and watch whatever comes over STARZ and have almost everything in 5:1 Dolby Digital.

I certainly not going to stop going to movies, as for some pictures, the big screen experience is essential (I will only look at LAWRENCE with a 70mm print), but I'm certainly seeing FEWER pictures in theatres.

This constant hype about grosses is meaningless since the prices have gone up. There is a LIMIT to how much the public will spend on going out.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 12:42 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there some sort of "Top 10" or "Top 100" that lists films based on number of tickets sold, not how much money the picture made? I know there are ones "adjusted for inflation" which are roughly accurate.

I agree, as prices rise, the meaning of "box office gross" falls. The first 20 films in the "Top 100 grossing movies of all time" list were either produced after 1990 or have had substatial amounts of re-releases. (with the exception possibly of Jaws) IMHO, "director's cuts" or "special editions" (ET, Star Wars) grosses should NEVER be counted with the original picture. If anything's changed, they're not the same movie!!

=TMP=

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2002 01:35 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
I'm beginning to think there are alot of others out there who are doing the same as you.
I read somewhere recently that the numbers going through the turnstiles were down, but money was up this summer. When I hear about $10 ticket prices I cringe. Seems with the "home video boom" we are pricing ourselves right out of the market.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-13-2002 05:02 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before long it may cost just as much to see a movie as a play on Broadway.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-13-2002 05:36 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Broadway show "The Producers", the standard scale ticket for a evening show is $99.00 , $45.00 , $35.00 . With Wednesday Matinees
going for $94.00 , $40.00 , $30.00. And add one dollar from each
ticket going to the theatres Restoration fund. If you want Premium
Tickets they go for $240.00 a show. Thats $199.00 plus the one dollar
for Restoration fund and a $40.00 service charge. But other shows
range from "42nd Street" ($30.00-$100.00), "Throughly Modern Millie"
($60.00-$$95.00), "Lion King" ($35.00-$100.00) plus add one dollar
for the Theatres Restoration Fund.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: