Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Need Advice re: Cinema/Restaurant Start-Up

Author Topic: Need Advice re: Cinema/Restaurant Start-Up
Tom Holland
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2002 04:35 PM      Profile for Tom Holland   Email Tom Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am considering opening a cinema/restaurant combo in the Los Angeles area, which will be a glamourized spin on the existing Cinema & Brew-type concept. I am preparing a business plan now, and seem to remember a forum discussion about existing exhibition-related business plans that might be available. I could also use a source for statistal data about movie attendence, revenues, etc.

Could any of my esteemed Forum collegues assist?

Many thanks for any advice (other than "Don't do it")!

Tom Holland
Calabasas, CA

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2002 05:40 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.cinemagrill.com

Franchises availible.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2002 07:47 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the Franchise is the way to go. I hear you give them a % of every ticket sale. You can work this out on your own without paying them.

------------------
Fitz

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-14-2002 11:09 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everybody who has tried dinner and cinema in this area wishes they had not. Restaurants have the highest failure rate of any new business and recent theatre business is easy to see. Two difficult to manage businesses in one.

Tom Holland
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2002 11:46 AM      Profile for Tom Holland   Email Tom Holland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are absolutely right that both businesses are risky. I've read that 50% of all new businesses fail in the first year or so. Knowing this, I've come up with a unique spin on the concept that (hopefully) make the odds much better. Of course, that's why a business plan is critical and why I'm going through the process. All advice/comments are welcome.

--Tom.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2002 06:41 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One word of cation, I made ready two of these type of theatres & the projection & sound equipment is usally in bad shape !! Do count on spending some money in getting these type of theatre ready to run, most theatres I seem of this type has worned out booth equipment, Mono sound systems...there is a reason the theatre chain pulled out & left the equipment behind...the two new owners of this type of theatre was shock in the amount of money they had to put out durning & after the theatre opens, so be ready for this, the theatres/cafes I seen have been doing pretty good business, slow in getting started but the patrons do come back & business starts to do good....but the start up cost & maintaining the booth equipment is expenive...Be Ready For That, unless you can to the repairs yourself & save, but the replacement parts are not cheep....Just to let you know what to expect concerning the booth....I hope you well & good Luck !!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-16-2002 07:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why on earth would anyone pay alot of money for a franchise when you could do it yourself??? Thats really stupid to think that a franchise is the save all for this sort of operation. Put all that franchise money into the operation! A customer of mine in Stoughton, WI did this sort of thing about 10 years ago on his own and was very sucessful. Part of that might be that his large Pizzas weighed in at 17 lbs going into the oven! He also had both Coke and Pepsi products...something one rarely sees anywhere these days.

He started out on the old single screen theatre, outgrew it and bought an old department store down the street. He built that into a 4 screen dinner/movie theatre. Far as I know he is still there......
Mark @ Claco

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: