Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Would you have concerns displaying this poster? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Would you have concerns displaying this poster?
Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-15-2002 01:00 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the image is funny as hell, but I imagine some communities would have problems with theatres that choose to display this. Maybe Lion's Gate will have to come up with a "green band" version... What do you think?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 01:20 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We would put that up in our lobby.

We put this one up in our lobby.

We got one complaint from a lady that we dissmissed as a crank. Most people love this poster.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 01:30 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...well, at least the seams in her stockings are where they're supposed to be!

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 03:11 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see no purpose in them other than to debase human sexuality and entice those with perverted sexual appetites into the theatre where the debasement continues.

Bob
The Old Showman

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 08-15-2002 03:38 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Ian, I can't assume that you have many childern in your theater being Art. Would you display this if you were in a first run or sub run with little kiddies running around everywhere?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-15-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The conservative side of me says

The liberal side says

----and I am a Democrat

Ah, Politics!

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-15-2002 04:27 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I had some fun with this topic, I would like to express my true opinion about the poster. I feel that if the theatre is frequented by people of all ages including children with or without their parents, the poster is very offensive and should not be displayed in the lobby. If the theatre is an art venue with primary adult patrons, the poster can be displayed but it should be done with caution because there are many adults that might find such a poster in very poor taste.

-Claude

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 06:14 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both are good college dormroom posters but that is about it.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 07:02 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Claude, in my opinion, conservatives are typically more supportive of the whole 'freedom of expression' thing while liberals are usually the ones who worry about people getting offended or feelings getting hurt. That being said, I do not believe the stuffed animal poster should be displayed in a theatre with children, but the Secretary one is fine by me. Kids won't get it anyway.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2002 07:05 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure most children have scattered and/or piled their stuffed animals in their rooms somewhere and some may have fallen into the "positions" in which they are on the poster.

Question is, would a "little kiddie" really understand what the animals are "doing" in the poster? And if they do, then the problem is not the poster, but rather at home.

Adults think like adults. They look at the poster and see sex. Kids look at the poster and see stuffed animals. Same with foul language. Once a child is taught that a word is "bad" and finds out it has shock value, they will use it. On the other hand, when someone accidentally slips up and says "F--K" within young ears' reach, that word probably means as much to that child as "rectifier" or "dolby digital."

Personally, I would display it just to see what sort of complaints (if any) I would get.

=TMP=

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-15-2002 07:24 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came up with a different approach to bad words where my kids are involved. The idea came up when I was trying to explain why my six year old girl cant have some of my beer.

I explained that this kind of drink is an Adult Drink, and when she is old enough, she can have some too. But it is too dangerous for the body of a small child.

She accepted this and so I took it a bit further. Mostly because she was picking up on mine and her mom's swearing problems. I explained that certain words are adult words, and that children get into a lot of trouble when they use them, but adults only get looked at funny. The words really shouldnt be used and that if she hears a word from me or her mom that even she can't use, it's wrong and she can slap our hands. My hands hurt a lot at first, but it worked. She does of course not slap anyone else, but just understands that she shouldn't use the words.

I never worry about her hearing the words, or see something. She is innocent, as most kids really are. We really shouldn't be so afraid of them seeing the world. If we deal with it right, they will to.

Dave

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-16-2002 01:56 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,

It appears that you are not very well versed in political science because I can cite at least three examples proving that you got your facts backward but the Film Tech forum is not a place to talk politics and I will not discuss the subject anymore and I hope everyone will also do the same. Although I was just trying to be funny, I realize now that it was wrong to make a polital joke about the poster and I hope everyone will accept my apology.

-Claude

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-16-2002 02:39 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record a conservative is one who adheres to traditional methods or views being cautious and discreet.

A liberal is one who is open minded and not strict in the observance of traditional forms or ways.

I guess I fall in the middle. poster in art house with adult oriented films is fine. in the mainstreem more caution is needed.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-16-2002 05:46 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, while I agree that the discussion of Politics is an unwritten no no here, although I find the humor of politcal satire is always good for a laugh.

I studied the science of politics in college rather heavily, and learned much more about it all than most people would ever know, or care to know. It was after all my studies that I found that I prefer to not BE in any party, or behave in a way that labels me. Instead, I free think. It's rare, but there are a few of us out there, and I would hope that this site has a greater majority of them than the general population.

Dave

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-16-2002 11:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding "kids won't get it": You would be surprised what a lot of kids "get" these days.

To me the first poster is kind of funny, but offensive. The second one is just offensive (but the lady has nice legs!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: