Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Stronger than PG-13 but not quite an R? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stronger than PG-13 but not quite an R?
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 02:56 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I figured out yesterday at a theater that opened xXx.

The Carmel Movieplex 8 in Carmel NY had a sign in the front window: For xXx anyone under 13 must be accompanied by a parent -- under 13 and alone, must have parental consent. xXx is rated PG-13.

Has this happened in your theaters on any PG-13 or PG titles?

Carmel is 40 miles from NYC and the Movieplex 8 is part of the Northeast chain Cinema North.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-12-2002 04:40 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever my own personal opinion of a film was too strong for certain age brackets, I would put up signs such as that, and stick to it. I never let anyone under 17 into House on Haunted Hill or 13 Ghosts, even with thier parents present. They would through these fits in front of other customers, claiming rights and all, then I would fire back with "I dont care if you are clueless enough to try and warp your child for life, but I have a responsibility to the rest of the world safe from little johhny!"

I did the same thing on Messenger, story of joan of arc, even when parents wanted to take thier little jr high school kids as a history lesson. Hey, history is replete with nasty nasty death. They dont need to see it on screen, just let them read, you do remember reading right? That's what I tell them.

Now with films that are PG or PG-13, that once again is a case by case scenario. I prohibited children under 5 from going to star wars phantom menace, primarily because most of them wouldnt care to watch the movie, and would just distrupt the rest of the audience.

I always attached a warning to all pokemon and digimon style movies...

"WARNING, this movie may cause you to want to flee the theater and leave your kids behind! WATCH WITH CAUTION!!!"

I do find it rather funny to think of a sign that reads...

"xXx is rated PG-13"

Dave

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 05:28 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave -
If you use the rating system at all, you really have to adhere to it completely and adapt a uniform policy for any and all movies sharing that rating. No manager should ever change the policy for one PG-13 movie and not for another. That is, if you support the MPAA, and use its rating system, you have to be consistent. People won’t have a problem with consistency. I can completely understand how someone would throw a fit if you allow a 16 year old with a parent into one 'R' film, but not another. I would throw a fit as well. Same with PG-13. If you let a 5 year old go to one, but not another, I would flip out. You need to be consistent with your policies, not change it depending on what your opinion is. Who said your opinion is right? That's what we have the MPAA for, to provide a consistent system of giving a customer a rough idea of what a film is like. And then some manager is going to let his opinion supercede that? Some managers cut out the frames of “Titanic” that showed her breasts because they didn’t believe that was appropriate for a PG-13 movie. Is that proper?

Also, if someone ever said to me anything like, "I don’t care if you are clueless enough to try and warp your child for life, but I have a responsibility to the rest of the world safe from little Johnny!", or, "...just let them read, you do remember reading right?", I would punch that person squarely in the nose. Like it or not, you have no right to tell someone else how to raise their child, barring anything illegal. Just like you wouldn’t want anyone telling you how to raise your own child. Really, Dave, I have to believe you’re joking on some of these points you make. They sure make me laugh.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 08:20 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,

I certainly hope you do not work for a major chain and are serious about that post. The MPAA sets the guidelines... not theater managers. Not allowing paying customers to watch a movie because YOU find it inappropriate would probably get you fired in most theater chains... not to mention the bad image your theater could get.

If I were a customer at your theater and wanted to bring my daughter into Braveheart (or some other R rated movie I find value in) and I feel she can handle it and you refuse admission even when I am watching it with her, I would be very upset. Your corporate office would certainly receive a letter. I would then stop going to your theater and make sure everybody else I knew did the same.

Of course, if you are the owner (and that should be the only reason you would be in a position to make decisions like that) you should not book the film in the first place if you think you will have to screen out the "appropriate" customers.

I am not trying to be offensive, but is this pretty common for theaters in Utah?

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 10:12 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MPAA rates film based on various content ie: drugs, sex, language, violence and pressure from distributors. The rating does not tell the moviegoer WHY the film is rated the way it is. Only theatre staff, especially the manager, is aware of the reason and they/he have/has a responsibility to the community to inform the customers. It's people demanding their so-called "rights" (usually perceived rather than actual) that has gotten this society in its current mess. Have you ever heard the saying "It takes a village to raise a child"? If a parent insists his child see a film which I believe is unsuitable for that child I'd stop him at the box office. If he wants to corrupt his kid let him do it in his own home when the film comes out on video or DVD but don't make me or my theatre part of the process. Any parent who would punch a manager in the nose for attempting to protect his child is not only setting a poor example but has a problem bigger than not being able to get his child into the theatre and any parent who would attempt to create a boycott of a theatre because the manager was concerned about the effect of a film on his child needs to re-think his values. We need more exhibitors who are willing to honor their responsibility to their communities. This "let anyone do whatever they want as long as it doesn't bother me" attitude is destroying this country. And "we don't have a right to tell anyone how to raise their child" is just another version of "I don't want to get involved". Believe me, I've been around long enough to realize that a lot of parents NEED to be told how to raise their children. While we, as exhibitors, can't get intimately involved in their lives we CAN and SHOULD do our part as members of the "village".

Bob
The Old Showman

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 10:57 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob,

I agree with you when you say that the theater has a responsibility to inform the customer why a movie is rated that way. I think putting up signs and informing customers of the reason for a rating is a good idea. When I worked in the box office, I would always inform parents of the content of some of the stronger movies if I saw them bringing their kids. I would have never considered not allowing them in if they still wanted to see it.

I am a strong supporter of enforcing the MPAA guidelines at the door and box.

My problem is when the "manager" decides he will take the MPAA guidelines a step further (beyond what the guidelines say) and refuse service to people only based on his beliefs. It is one thing to refuse admission to a bunch of kids wanting to go into an R rated movie without an adult. It is quite another to refuse admission to a movie to a child when they are seeing it with their parents. As I said before, if I want to watch a movie like Braveheart or The Messanger with my daughter, and I am refused admission because the manager feels it is inappropriate for my daughter, there is going to be a problem. Not to mention, I have a feeling most distributors would have a real problem with this if they heard about this type of thing going on!

I know my child much better than some theater manager I've never met. Let me decide what I think is (not) appropriate for her. Especially if I am there watching it with her. As a parent, I always look at the MPAA guidelines and reasons for those ratings and take them into consideration. The guidelines are not set by the opinion of one person either.

As far as I know, even the MPAA ratings are only guidelines in most states anyway... and they do not completely bar children seeing a movie with their parents.

All I am saying is do not undermine the parents authority in deciding what is right or wrong for their child.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-12-2002 10:58 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a situation here with DEVIL'S ADVOCATE where it was stronger than a "C" (18 and over only) but not strong enough for a ban or edits.

That movie came with a warning that it contained blasphemy.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-12-2002 11:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On plenty of occasions, I have told parents at the boxoffice, "If I were you, I would not let your kids see this movie. It is not for kids."

But it is overstepping the rules to deny admission to a paying customer if they want to take their kids into an R-rated movie.

Consistency is the key. Plenty of parents brought their kids to "Saving Private Ryan" because they felt the film would be a good history lesson. If a theatre gets the reputation of having a manager who decides on his own whim who PG-13 and R-rated movies are "appropriate" for, that guy will lose mucho business. Why bundle up the kids to go to "Austin Powers 3" if there's a chance the manager won't let you take them in? It's absurd!

(By the way, I have a feeling Dave's post above was possibly made just to stir up the fire. Worked, didn't it?)

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2002 12:27 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you run much "Hollywood" product down there Manny you know that many contain blasphemy. Producers think little of belittling religious people's beliefs, especially Christian. But the MPAA never rates a film based on that as they and producers apparently feel religion is fair game. Most times when religious persons are portrayed they are made to look rediculous and of no consequence to mankind.

Bob
The Old Showman

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-13-2002 02:05 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I love Film-Tech. It takes just a few lines and I can fire the emotions of just about everyone. And what better topic to do it with?

Chad you are very correct. I am joking on some levels, and serious on others. My statement earlier was designed to relay on a very emotional level of what I feel should really be going on. I am sure that I am not alone in this either. Just because a few here would disagree and say I have no right to refuse admission TO MY OWN THEATER, doesn't mean that I would actually be doing something wrong.

I would never actually tell a parent that I know better than they do. I would find a very kind way to inform them that this choice could warp thier children beyond belief.

I did on some occasions refuse admission. Once to a father who wanted to bring his five year old, his three year old, and his girlfriends teenage daughter to see House on Haunted Hill. I felt this was innapropriate. I told him of the graphic level of gore in this movie and that it is not good for the younger ones. The fact that he said that I should shut up and just sell him the sell them the damn ticket is what did it for me. I was only advising him. He got histerical. That is when I said no way.

I have always advised my patrons to the extent of what is in a film, and to what extent I feel it will warp thier children, however I have never refused admission because I felt it would warp thier brain, only if they refused to hear my empassioned plea and instead got rowdy with me.

It is true that we asked people to please leave thier small children at home for pg-13 and r rated movies. These films are for the adult audience, not for kids. Kids only detract from the film experience. If the film was pg, but not oriented to kids, once again we kindly asked. If they did not, we asked them to leave the auditorium the moment thier child starts to make noise or squirm. We issued passes in this case to the offenders, to make things easier to swallow.

As for my working for a major chain? SURELY YOU JEST!!! I have been offered not once, not twice, not three times, but SEVEN TIMES in this last year alone to work for major chains. I have always turned them down. ONE SIMPLE REASON. No responsibility. They are bottom line only. No community responsibility at all. It's all about the almighty dollar.

Mike, if I were to practice as you suggest, I should just turn my head and cough whenever someone in a white coat grabs my balls. I want to see credentials first. As with cinema, if I am forced to run a film that could hurt, I am naturally cautious. It is the big chains that overbuilt and caused hollywood to start spitting out ten times as much garbage as they used to. There are 70 percent more screens now then there were 15 years ago. Our population has not increased 70 percent, so we have to fill these screens with movies that suck ass. The fact that a major chain will just sell a ticket to any damn fool doesnt impress me at all. If anything, It tells me that I should be ashamed for going there myself.

I am independent. I ran an independent for a whopping three years. I left there in january, and for very good reason. The responsibility that I was allowed to express, and make REALLY DAMN GOOD MONEY doing it, was removed after 9/11, in order to get any damn fools money. In a theater with only 1100 seats, I would sell them ALL OUT for six movies every weekend evening show. WHY? Because we would not allow an element that would add harm to community, such as allowing every tom dick and harry to bring in every five year old girl to see 13 GHOSTS just because they want to. I at least get the chance to say to them that maybe they should try a disney flick.

As far as I know, when I make an agreement with a distributor about running a film, I make certain agreements that I follow up to the letter. However, I am sure that I would not be denied a movie just because I would refuse admission to janie and jonny to see house on haunted hill. If I was, I wouldnt want that piece of crap anyway. I would prefer to run family oriented films anyway. There is exception to the rule, but on those exceptions, I take exception to the MPAA.

Even as a member of the MPAA and NATO, I do not think it is any violation to go things a step further, and prevent the wrong people from seeing a movie. It is better than the alternative, which happens in many of the major chains. I have seen time and time again that chains and others allow a small child to see a rated r feature without thier parents, as long as the parent purchased the ticket for them. This violates the MPAA directly, that says the parent must accompany them throught the run of the picture. This does not seem to bother anyone, but it does me. It also bothers many others, who would constantly complain that children were alone in the movie, after their parents ducked out the back door. I dont see the MPAA doing anything about that at all. Or anyone else for that matter.

Do I have a right to take community responsibility? Well I hope so! It isnt me just making sure I am like some god or something, like you suggest, but rather showing the neighbors that I want to do something good, something right. Movies with nothing but adult themes and content are made for and meant for adults only. The only exeptions are when the film has very close ties with historical significance. Such as Schindlers list, or films of the like. It is ok to allow older teenagers to see this, but still hard for very young viewers.

The fact that a parent wants to warp little johhny should be everyones concern. It shouldnt be just take thier money and run. It scares me to think that these children, warped during childhood, will be running whats left of our country some day. What will they have to base thier life on? What values will they have? Blood and terror? Yeah thats a good thing to have. Well if I am running a cinema, I will do whatever I can to help stop that trend.

I am sure you will want to respond with something like "good thing a nut like you doesnt work for a chain" or some stupid thing like that. Believe me, it is good. For me mostly, so I dont have to support a corporate crook interested in greed and nothing else. Ever hear of a living wage? Neither has these chains.

I am working to open a new theater in the next two years. Working right now on recovering from a crushed foot instead. It will show movies from all eras, movies with real good stories to tell, with heart and values. Not this crap we keep seeing. I have always had good support from the community, and I will again. I am glad I dont have to see parents destroying the future of the world, just because they have a right to do so.

And in case you think I dont know what I am talking about, think again. Back in the day, when I was in college, I did a two year study involving more than 300 children, ages 3 to 15, on the viewing habits they had and how it affected thier lives. From the study, I concluded that:

1. The content has a direct link to thier behavior,
2. The content becomes socially acceptable to them if...
a. thier parent watches it with them, and
b. no one tells them this is a bad idea...

As far as theaters in Utah bieng this way, I got carded for South Park the movie. Actually Utah nearly passed the very first law of its kind, allowing local authorities to throw a theater manager in jail for 30 days for allowing a minor into a rated R movie without thier parent, or allowing them to sneak into a rated R movie. The second offence would be a year in jail. It barely NOT passed, two years running, and will come up again next year. In fact, part of the law this last year that did not pass, would allow ONE PERSON in the entire state to actually put a stamp of approval on a movie if a youngin' could see it or not. We have the only position of its kind, a "PORN ZCAR", or Zcarina, in this case, a 50 year old unmarried female self prolamed virgin, whose sole job is to search out and identify what she deems pornography. She gets 75 grand a year for this job. I can do that job, and I know where the pornography is. There is this one bookstore.. ON EVER STREET CORNER IN AMERICA, that sells playboy, damn the stuff is on the internet now... AUGH...

I would rather my child see naked people having sex, then people getting cut in half. But most of the parents who would ask about an R film, would only ask this one question, "is there swearing or naked people". Thats it. Thats all they care about. Language and nudity.

Dr. Dave.. PHD (phool heardy doofus)

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-13-2002 06:34 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should also clarify that our ratings system differs from that of the MPAA CARA in one key area - ours is administered by a government agency and the ratings are the law. That is, they are not optional.

True, many movies contain blasphemy, but DEVIL'S ADVOCATE was different in that it went beyond "swearing." I personally don't have anything against that movie but - given the religious climate here - I was certain it would be banned (like SOUTH PARK, HALF BAKED or JAY & SILENT BOB).

My mom is an American and we are both performing artists (she does her performing "on the side"). I actually have much stronger feelings than hers about how evil censorship is (she's kind-of a holy roller). Still, I was born and raised here (a so-called "Christian country") so I never experienced "culture shock" due to the banning of movies. Especially not after I got into the exhibition business and learned that there is always AT LEAST one clergyman (or woman) and a police officer on the viewing board.

As for the American preference for violence over sex...

There is a pretty famous quote here about the American ratings system. IIRC these words belong to an American film critic:

"Licking a nipple gets an X, chopping it off with a chainsaw gets an R."

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2002 07:42 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
I guess I took your original post a little bit too literally. I would welcome the cashier/manager/owner telling me they THINK it would be inappropriate for my child. Maybe the movie is worse than I thought or I didn't know what was in it. I can then decide if we are still going to see it. I just thought that you flat out denied access to movies that you deemed inappropriate even if a parent was present. That would most likely stir up some controversy even in Utah.

For the comment about theater chains, I can understand where you are coming from (I work for one) and can see why you are/were independent. The reason I brought that up is because they usually take company policies to an extreme and a manager making a decision like barring all kids 17 and under (parent ot not) on a personal belief could cost some revenue and hurt the image of the company. Just as Mike was saying: Why bundle up the kids to go to "Austin Powers 3" if there's a chance the manager won't let you take them in?

I tend to think I did very much the same as you when I was at the theater. If a parent was bringing their small children to Jeepers Creepers of 13 Ghosts, I would make sure they knew what was in it directly or indirectly. In many cases, I would suggest another movie... but that would be it. If they still wanted to see it with their kids, I would sell them the ticket with a warning that we do not allow screaming or loud crying during the movie. I would then make sure there that the first disruption that came from their kids screaming because somebody's head got chopped off, they would receive passes and ask them to come back another time because they are disrupting the other patrons. Usually by then, the parents get the hint that they must have missed when we warned them about the movie in the first place.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2002 09:32 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I took the first post literally too. I didn't know people were in the habit of making things up on Film-Tech just to create an arguement. My main point is, who is this magical person that is going to decide what is appropriate and what isn't. To quote Bob, this "let anyone do whatever they want as long as it doesn't bother me" is what our country was founded on. Personal freedoms. So long as it does not infringe on your own rights, you have no business telling someone else to stop. The exceptions that have been made to that are laws that have been passed to attack certain groups whos morals are questioned, such as prostitutes and homo-sexuals. Also exceptions come from situations that money would have to be spent to compensate for the behavior, such as drug use or not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle (all of this being state by state of course).

We DO NOT want, as managers, to begin regulating what movie a parent brings a child to, regardless of what we think. Make your opinion known, and leave it at that. The next step would be to make movie ratings law, and that would hurt all of us.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-13-2002 09:52 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not mean to infer that I made anything up to create and argument. What I wrote is truly what I would want to do, and I should have made that clear when I wrote the original post. As I did not, my writing caused a stir. That is what I was referring to as causing the stir, the fact that I did not refer to my writing as base gutteral feeling instead of factual occurance. I did not point that out and we got a good old fashioned word fight! Thats what I love about this site, that we have so many wonderful opinions here that we can throw this stuff around and really and truly debate a very at home issue.

Mike and Chad, you are both correct on the business end of things, but I still believe that there should be some responsibility with some of our parents these days. The fact that they dont understand that what is good for them may not be good for thier kids is cause enough to perhaps mandate parenting classes for anyone who even TRIES to bring a small child to JEEPERS CREEPERS.

As Chad can attest, I am very opinionated, and stand behind my opinions till my head pops off! However, I am often using my own feeling and emotion to back myself up, and sometimes will forget that not everyone (meaning everyone) is on the same page as me. So my apologies for my original post, as I did not clarify what my intentions by it were.

I do stick by my second post however, especially the part about my balls.

Dave

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2002 11:23 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem is two groups of people: The ones who want to be told what's appropriate or not with ratings, signs, suggestions and whatnot. And then there are those who know better (or think they do) to make their own decisions about what's appropriate, and they don't want any outside "interference".

IMHO, the ratings system is fine the way it is. Now there are ratings reasons under each one, and sometimes simply by looking at the poster you can tell whether the movie will be "appropriate" or not. (Let's see... "Final Destination": A holographic poster with lightning and people turning into skeletons, rated R. Hmm... I dunno, it MIGHT be ok for little Suzie... ) If we take ratings reasons any further, instead of "Rated R for Drugs, Violence and Nudity" we'll see something to the effect of "Rated R because someone smokes some crack, a man gets hit in the face with a hammer, a lady takes her top off and shows her breasts, two men exchange the word Fuck on occasion, and the person whom you thought was going to be the hero dies in the end and the hero is really the character from the beginning. Enjoy the show."

What more do people want? LCD panels on the marquee showing clips of what might be considered "offensive" in the film so that people can make a better decision about wheter to take their 5-year-old to an R movie? No wait... then the kids will see the clips too... hmm....

I guess I am in the minority that hardly anything offends me because I hardly take anything (movies, TV shows, books) seriously. I'm Christian, Polish, and have a large nose. If I got offended any time these issues were poked fun at in a creative medium, I would spend all my time cooped up in a closet writing complaint letters under a low-wattage lamp instead of enjoying this beautiful world.

Actually, probably the only thing I find offensive is Christian groups on campus, as they scurry up to me while on my way to a class, politely explaining I have no time to talk and them telling me I am going to hell because I won't pause to listen to the words of Jesus.

Banning, editing and censoring films is not the answer, as that only caters to those who are offended and isn't fair to those who would actually appreciate the film. But to each their own.

Let the movies play.
=TMP=

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: