Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Alcoholic Managers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Alcoholic Managers
Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 01:24 PM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Have a manager that I have heard is a functional alcoholic. I think if its true, how would you deal with this problem if this person "was" under the influence during the job.

Alot of the employees dont get along with this person. He will often say one thing but mean another and will get into an arguement besause of it. One day just recently this gentleman told a empoyee to go up to the employee break room and sweep up a tiny little rodent. The employee did what he was ordered and swept it up. Later on the manager asked why this employee did'nt sweep up the whole breakroom. The employee replied "you only told me to sweep up the rodent". You can guess what happened after that.

This seems to be a ongoing problem from this manager, saying one thing an meaning something else then getting into a big arguement over it.

How would any of you deal with it? Would you go over the GM's head and go directly to the district manager or talk about it with the GM?

We are fixing to start lossing employees beacuse of him and I fear more will follow.

|  IP: Logged

Jennifer Osborne
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 02:05 PM      Profile for Jennifer Osborne   Email Jennifer Osborne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin,

I recently had a similar problem with a manager at my theater. One day he came in to work under the influence, and was just recently arrested for a D.W.I. . . . Myself and fellow managers went to our G.M with the problem, and our GM went and voiced our concerns to our district manager...My manager is now under close watch by the company, and I believe that he'll be fired soon. I hope things get better for you.

------------------
I'm not a people person, that's why I'm in the booth.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 02:16 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think that this is something for you to talk about between you and your bosses at this company. In larger companies they usually have procedures and policies to handle things of this nature. And maybe they can even help the guy out if he wants it. Public forums could be a dangerous place to post things about other people since someone who knows someone who knows that guy could be reading this right now and possibly get you into a situation that you would not want to be in.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-05-2002 02:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would not get involved unless I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he/she is an alcoholic, and if the person was caught red-handed drinking alcoholic beverages on the premisis. What a person does with their personal life is nobody's business, as long as it does not interfere with the rights and well-being of other people. If this person is intoxicated while on duty, it should be called to the attention of higher authority.

This could be mis-construed as a "witch hunt" especially if nobody likes that person.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Paul

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2002 02:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to agree with Adam here, this is a touchy subject and not one that is in your best interest to be posting on a worldwide public forum. Call your Human Resources department or go to your DM directly. If the GM hasn't done anything about it, he/she is probably not going to and you don't want to get cornholed if the two of them are buddies. Take it to a higher level and outside of the building.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 02:42 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin,
I agree with Adam here. Be careful what you say. If you and your co-workers are having a problem with a manager, then I think you should deal with it in an appropriate way. It sounds like you have a definite problem with the way he is managing, and that is certainly an issue that you could, and perhaps should bring up with upper management. I would watch your allegations of him being an alcoholic and/or drunk on the job. If you can't substantiate your claim with some proof, then you could get yourself in a situation you don't want to be in.

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 04:00 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin
Brad was right about the GM. If the GM hasn't done anything by now chances are that he/she won't or doesn't care. If you can back up your claim then definately go up the ladder. You are looking out for your theatre, bottom line. If they have personal problems I can somewhat understand them drinking but it isn't that hard to be sober on the job. Most important of all, watch your back.

Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 05:59 PM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I completely agree with all of you. I will talk to my GM about it first.

Thanks for the advice!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2002 06:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, I don't think you bothered to read this thread very closely. You might want to read it again before you go talking to your GM.

Justin McLeod
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 06:25 PM      Profile for Justin McLeod   Email Justin McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I understand what you are telling me brad. I read the thread very close and two thirds of them suggest going to the higher up's instead of going to the manager. I wont be able to speak to my GM if I decide talk with him about this issue until friday. However, I dont have access to the corporate numbers. I haft to go through a manager and if i go through a assistant manager, word is eventually going to get around to the GM. I dont want to dissrespect the manager, we are good friends. However, I dont know how well the GM and this assistsnt manager get along.

I guess I can e-mail the corporate website.

Thanks for the heads up though!!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-05-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Upon re-reading the details of this thread Justin, I am starting to think your best option here is to just stay out of it, at least until you have more info.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-06-2002 07:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that discussing specific cases (which could, even if the possibility is very small, be identified by a third party from the information you have given) on an Internet forum is a very bad idea which could cause no end of problems if and when the matter gets official.

I once had to contend with a line manager who had a drink problem. Without saying any more than that about my experience, I would only make the following suggestions.

• If you have reason to believe that his or her behaviour could endanger anyone's safety, e.g. because the individual is driving or operating dangerous equipment when under the influence, then you need to take immediate action. In fact, under certain circumstances, you could be in trouble if it were ever proved that you knew about (or suspected) the problem but did nothing.

• If his or her behaviour is causing workplace-related problems, either for you or a colleague, but is not safety-critical, there may be a case for taking action but think long and hard about how before doing so.

• If none of the above apply, then as Brad says, stay out of it. You are a projectionist, not a social worker. If a site manager is causing problems which result in unusually high staff turnover, then his or her bosses should start noticing this and investigating without you having to become involved.

Finally, if you do decide to take action, do not do anything unilaterally if at all possible. Discuss the issue with colleagues you feel you can trust, take the action jointly and make it clear to anyone you report the matter to that you are doing so not out of any ill will towards the individual concerned, but only because his or her behaviour is endangering safety and/or the effective operation of the workplace.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2002 02:32 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well considering how public this forum is (I've found this out the hard way) I think that Justin has no recourse but to talk to someone about it unless Justin happens to be the only one in his theater or company that reads these forums.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2002 11:53 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do remember that in the United States Alcoholism is considered a disability, and therefore is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act. You cannot fire someone for showing up drunk on the job if it is the first time it has happened. Remember that non-documented incidents do not count. I believe if the employee in question does not seek help for their problem however, they may then be terminated. Before proceeding further it would wise for you to read up on the legal details.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 04:28 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's assume this guy is a "functioning alcoholic". If his management practices stink because of his boozing it will have a trickle down effect on the staff, the customers and ultimately, the bottom line. As a responsible employee you have no choice but to call it to the attention of the corporate brass making certain they know you are concerned about the business and not out to get the guy.
Alcoholism is a self-induced "disease" that can be cured the same way.
If the brass cares at all about their bottom line (and ever get out of their offices to actually go into a theatre) they should respect your concern and treat your report in confidence while they investigate the situation. Enough of this "let's not step on anybodys toes" philosophy. If he worked for me, after one warning he'd be gone, ADA be damned.

Bob
The Old Showman

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: