Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "Regal Crown Club" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Regal Crown Club"
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-28-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal here (everywhere?) is promoting a frequent-moviegoer membership program called "Regal Crown Club". Free, costs nothing to join. You get a magnetic-striped membership card, on which they record "movie credits" based on 1 credit awarded per dollar spent at the box office (rounded up). Concessions are excluded: only admissions earn credits. It's free, I see a lot of movies, so I joined. The 1st award requires banking 25 credits, which would be 5 matinee admissions, and for that you get a free small popcorn. 50 credits is a small soft drink. "Spend $42.50 (10 tickets at the $4.25 matinee price, earning 5 credits each) and we'll give you a complimentary soda that costs us about 25 cents!" Accumulate 75 or more credits and you become eligible for free movie admission.

Not that I'm complaining. It beats a poke in the eye.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2002 05:36 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or a hot poker where the sun don't shine. Which is what Regal seems to do here with their inflated ticket and concession prices.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-28-2002 05:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal concession prices here are a higher than Cinemark. Too high. I think a small popcorn and a small drink is like $6.25. A couple weeks ago I asked for a small bottled water and the concession guy gets this look of shame and says "They're $3.00 -- Do you still want one?" Cinemark's admission prices are higher though, especially evening weekend shows.

Why not award credits for concessions too? Wouldn't that possibly raise their per-caps? Seems like this program could be used to encourage spending on concessions, which is where they make their real money anyway.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 11:04 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds about as "rewarding" as their frequent combo club or something they started a few years ago. You recieved a card that would be hole-punched with a special puncher every time you bought a combo. Buy 10 to fill the card ($100+??) and you get one free, and another card. Now, is leaving underpaid concession workers alone with these hole punchers and cards a good idea? Can we see a problem arising here?

=TMP=

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 07:23 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal ripped off this idea from the AMC MovieWatcher club.

Is this "Crown Club" for Regal Cinemas only or Regal/UA/Edwards nationwide?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-29-2002 11:00 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's for all Regal/UA/Edwards locations

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 11:35 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love the name of the club.

I work for Crown Theatres.

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 09:24 AM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, it's only in a few markets with the Regal brand. I think they are planning on having it out everywhere by next year sometime.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 12:41 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, you're talking about the Regal Combo Nation. At the theater I worked at, we (the managers) kept the hole puncher and the concession employees had to call us on the radio to come punch a card. Sounds like a pain, but there weren't too many Combo Nation members, so it didn't happen too often.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-30-2002 12:58 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be just Regal Cinemas. I havent heard about anything like this at my Edwards yet. It might also be posable that they are doing this only in a spacific area for market research to see if it would be sucessfull if expanded nationwide.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 01:10 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This whole plan for the Regal Crown Club sounds counterintuitive to me. I don't understand why they would exclude concession sales from the program, as the majority of our revenue for the bottom line comes from concession sales. Unless of course they don't want to have to replace their vending terminals to be able to accept card swipes?
(Does Regal use Radiant?)

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-30-2002 01:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flyer they're handing out promoting this and the magnetic membership card have all 3 logos: Regal, UA, Edwards.

I don't understand the concession exclusion either. Seems "wrong" not to offer credits that encourage spending $$ at their biggest profit center. Like you said, maybe it's because concessions don't have the magnetic card systems.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 02:11 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now, the program is only offered in a limited market. I expect that eventually it will expand nation wide. Theaters built by Regal used to use cash registers. To my knowledge, only the theaters accquired from Cobb used Radiant in concession. But Regal is upgrading nation-wide to a new touch-screen computer system in concession. I don't know what it's called or who makes it, but it isn't Radiant and I think it can accept magnetic cards, unlike the Cobb Radiant setups. (Radiant can accept credit cards, but the Cobb theaters never set that up in concession, only in box office.)

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 05:56 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the theaters are still using the Casio registers. However, there is a new concession system being developed in house. It uses the IBM SurePOS registers (with built in card swipe and touch screens).
Maybe down the road, the Loyalty cards will be brought into it.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 06:23 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC MovieWatcher club awards points based on tickets purchased, not on concessions. To prevent misuse/overuse there is a 4-point limit per person per day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: