Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Good Advice Falling on Deaf Ears... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Good Advice Falling on Deaf Ears...
Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 01:50 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I was reading the August 2002 issue of BOXOFFICE I came across the following letter to the editor, and I am posting it here because it makes eminent sense.

Dear BOXOFFICE:

I have a great deal of respect for John F. Allen (no relation) and his assessment of the sound problems in today’s theatres and what to do about it. But I would like to respond to a statement he made in his July article. Regarding the difference in sound levels between trailers and the feature, he stated a projectionist’s ability to be there to ride the fader is sometimes “impossible.”
First, I would like to say that probably the only place you will find qualified and trained projectionists is New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, and other large metro areas where IATSE still has a foothold. If it is truly “impossible” for these operators to be there to adjust the sound levels because they have to be in another booth, then it is because management has totally lost sight of the fact that the booth and its screen performance are the most important aspect of their operation and have failed to hire sufficient staff.
Secondly, elsewhere in the country moviegoers are subjected to a presentation initiated by a minimum-wage employee who has been given just enough training to know how to thread the machine and press the auto-start button. Although some circuits have “Chief Projectionists” to oversee these operators, they have so much territory to cover that their visits are infrequent and they are unable to correct day-by-day errors committed by these amateurs.
I have visited many multiplexes owned by the large and not-so-large circuits and have been constantly subjected to unreasonable sound levels, out-of-focus and underlit pictures, fuzzy edges (because the projector is out of alignment), performances that start out of frame and images that jump because the machine has either intermittent or pressure shoe problems. And when I leave some of these auditoriums (as the last credits are scrolling) I’m surprised that they were able to get a picture through the port glass at all, as it appears to have not been cleaned since the place was built.
So, while John has a lot of excellent advice to offer theatre owners, until they put screen performance back on top of their list, it’s falling on deaf ears and they will continue to receive complaints (and lose customers).
R. E. (Bob) Allen
Retired Theatre Owner/Operator
Gold Beach, Oregon.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 02:32 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of my projectionists are underpaid.........

(AND THEY ARE NOT IN A UNION...........)

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-20-2002 04:09 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the basics of the author of the letter. But the fact that he thinks that only union operators are properly trained and qualified just proves how far in the past he is living. Anyone with that opinion is usually very, very old. As far as changing the trailer volume being impossible, that's why they make the CA-21 automation!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-20-2002 05:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually several automations allow for level changes but the fact that many theatres do not consider projection as a profession insdead of a partime job is the main culprit

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-20-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ability to easily do sound level changes is my favorite feature of the CP500, which can do it with pretty much any automation system. There are other ways of doing this, too (see the "tips" section of this site, for example), but the CP500 offers the most "elegant" method for existing installations, as it doesn't require modifying the automation in any way.

As I understand the letter, the author is basically complaining about the inability or unwillingness of theatre owners to make any effort to improve presentation quality, particularly if it costs money. If they hired good people and payed them enough to care (and enough to keep them from taking a higher-paying job at McDonald's), then presentation quality would improve. I agree with this sentiment wholehartedly.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2002 04:37 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems there are a few of you that believe us "union operators" are a thing of the past and apparently no longer required!
I can understand some of this but:
here in the Emerald City, our local strives to fully train each and every person who wants to be a projectionist. They work with qualified people who still believe in quality presentations etc. for several months before they are turned loose. I, for one, have had several of these trainees under my wing, and they are good at what they do.
Here in Seattle, we get a GOOD working wage, along with the benefits, and in most cases, a good company who appreciates what we do.
Damn, I'm getting real tired of some who put unions down for one reason or the other.
Granted, you "non-union" people think you're doing OK but what about the future?
Are you getting retirement pensions? How about paid vacations?
Do you get medical, dental etc. bennies?
We are quite happy here with Landmark and how they treat us, quite happy!
If you're doing better, more power to you.......but I really doubt it.
And please stop calling me very, very old!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-21-2002 04:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, what is the lowest projectionist wage at your theaters?

Peter, I know Joe pretty well and he is not bashing unions. However there is a general attitude in one direction from people (usually managers) that say unions are not needed and they can do things on their own. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The attitude coming from the other direction is from union workers, who feel that non-union operators simply have no training and that they can never equal the level of presentation that a union booth can. Joe is just pointing out that (I will use different words) for every properly trained professional union operator, there is a properly trained professional non-union operator. Or in other words, you don't HAVE to be in a union to put on a flawless show.

So what's the answer? I'm not sure I can really say, or how such a thing would be determined. However I have personally worked all sides (union booths as a union operator, non-union booths as a non-union operator and management) and generally around town the union booths were the best, some of them being nothing short of perfect (anyone been to the Northpark 1&2?). This was from the Dallas Local 249 which I can vouch for was a first rate local who were very presentation minded. I say "was" because it is no more. Nowadays all the corporate people care about is the bottom line and how can they save another buck. That being said though, I have seen and worked in non-union booths that did put on a better show than other union booths. In the end the final variable related to a quality presentation is the personnel themselves. The pay rate and benefits are a different issue (feel free to open up a different thread...it would be an interesting discussion!!!)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-21-2002 11:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in any way bashing unions themselves or even their members. I'm bashing people with the opinion that only unions can possess trained and qualified operators, and any non-union scab just isn't worth much of anything. Please re-read my post and you'll see that. Thanks.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-21-2002 11:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Brad, I've worked this union business from all sides...union, non-union and adminstrative. There is no inherent superiority to a person that holds a union card. In fact, sometimes people use their union card to give them knowlege and ability they simply don't have. Kinda like a Driver's License.

I have found that nothing can be management's desire to have a first rate show. If quality is instilled in employees, union or not, the results will be better than a repressive atmosphere

However...my general test for judging things like this (union vs non-union) is kinda like looking at fungable goods....discard the best in both categories (cuz both have their exceptionally talented) and discard the worst (every group has it's moron population) and look at the murky middle...on the whole, the union group will be a better choice.

However, the situation Brad describes about a local that was once very good falling victim to corporate mentality that just doesn't value projection/presentation is a common one that has pretty much devistated most of the once good locals.

I claim it still comes back to management (and I mean beyond the individual location...but at corporate)...if they want good people and long-term quality they will get it.

If it is left up to just the caring individuals at the theatre level...then you will have a few good places and the rest crap.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2002 04:36 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not at liberty to say how much my projectionists get paid. However - the ones that work for me are full-time, professionally trained individuals who work very hard - and do a great job. With all of them - their job here at the theatre is their one and only. Being full time - they are eligible for benefits after 90 days.

:-)

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-22-2002 05:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A quote from Bob Koch from the Film Handler's Forum made earlier today:

quote:
"(union workers are) paid a salary which would permit you to ,buy a home, send your children to school and be a functioning member of the community."

Dennis, since "well paid" is relative, perhaps this is a better way to answer the question without giving out a number. Does the above quote fit what the lowest paid projectionist makes in your theater? I'm not picking on you specifically, but *most* of the time I hear that a company pays their projectionists properly, it is not enough to provide the benefits from the quote above. The typical to above average non-union projectionist's salary will be struggling damned hard to even be able to put food on the table if they have even just one kid. I applaud you and your company if you are able to honestly answer that question "yes they are paid enough for that kind of life."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-22-2002 11:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't even buy a home today with a union projectionists salary.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2002 01:40 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projectionists that came on board with us **with prior experience** make enough money to live well. Hell, if I had my choice - that is what I'd be doing for a living. The truth of the matter is - the management-end of our business has more potential in the long run, especially with introduction of digital presentations. We have 'trainees' upstairs that make a regular wage, but once they have the experience and the know-how they will get a healthy pay-raise - but we know that comes with time.

The truth of the matter is - here is Las Vegas, Nevada - we pay our employees (floor staff and projection) more than any other theatre in town. We have benefits to offer to our full-time employees also.

------------------

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 12:29 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was not my intent to start a "union vs non-union" battle with that letter. You notice that regarding the IA I said "probably" the only place..... I'm aware that there may be some well trained non-union operators out there, but I have never known any and they are sure not around here. Generally, I believe, per capata, you will find more professionals among IA members than among non-union operators and, no, they're not pros because they're in the union, they're in the union because they're pros. My point in the letter, as some have seen, is that, generally, I don't believe the corporate big boys give a rip about screen presentation. Just one of the many reasons they have all filed for bankruptsy. As to my age, I am 70 and started in the theatre in 1945, left it for some time and am returning to start what I hope will be a chain of theatres in the underserved rural areas of our state, and perhaps, nation.

Bob
The Old Showman

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 04:52 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe
You probably can't buy a house in Seattle on anybody's salary unless you work for, ehhh, what's his name......Gates?
All our Boeing folk are leaving and I'm really afraid we are going to see that billboard again on I-5 in south Seattle.
WILL THE LAST PERSON LEAVING SEATTLE PLEASE TURN OUT THE LIGHTS.
All kidding aside, I consider the job I have now at our union shop to be the best I've ever had. I'm making the most I've ever had with all the bennies included.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: