Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What makes someone a good manager? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: What makes someone a good manager?
Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 02:49 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering what people here think makes someone a good manager?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 04:10 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not actually come across many that were good in all aspects of the job, but there's a couple that spring to mind.

Ability to deal with staff as people, no power tripping.
Level headed in all types of situations.
Treat all staff equally and with respect if earned, by doing that you will earn their respect.
Leave the projecting to the Projectionists!

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 06:57 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Good manager is some one who gets it right! This includes makeing everyone around them do the same thing.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-14-2002 03:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....and the ability to tell someone to go to hell, and have them take it as a complement.

Pete, I agree with you.

Sean, a good leader has to be a good follower. This includes not trashing the upper management in front of the workers. That sort of trashing can be done by snapping pencils in two and smashing your head against the wall while nobody is looking...

A good manager will praise in public and reprimand in private.

A good manager should be consistant, firm, and fair when dealing with their subordinates.

A good manager will let their subordinates know exactly where they stand at all times.

If a subordinate proves a decision is wrong, a good manager will not try to dig up half-assed excuses to cover up mistakes. Nobody is perfect.

A good manager will not be afraid to apologize if it is known they made an incorrect decision.

A good manager will listen to their subordinate's suggestions. If they have a good well thought out suggestion that will help achieve the overall objective, a good manager will try to implement them if possible, and give credit to the person that made the suggestion.

A good manager will never take the credit that belongs to another person.

A good manager will give credit where credit is due.

A good manager will always treat their subordinates exactly the same way they would like to be treated under the exact existing identical circumstances.

A good manager will set an example for others to follow.

As Pete suggested, a good manager will not go on a power trip or an ego trip.

These are just a few things I have learned through the years.

Kyle Caudill
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 05:32 PM      Profile for Kyle Caudill   Email Kyle Caudill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not think it is fair to say leave the projection booth to the projectionist. Being the manager of theatre, I have take responsiblity for what occurs in the projection booth along with every other inch of the theatre. I want to make sure the correct trailers are on the films, the correct tech ads are on the screen, projectors are being cleaned, and bulbs are being changed. Just like I would in concession to check to see if my concessionists are upselling or saying thank you the customer, or that my ushers clean an auditorium properly or say thank you to a customer when they tear their ticket.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-14-2002 05:35 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good manager rules with an iron fist.

Absolutely sets down a policy that is followed and enforced at all times, by employees and manager alike.

A good manager does not get personally close to his employees. There must be a professional distance between them. If an employee gets the idea that they are now buddies, they will tend to slack off believing that they will get preferential treatment. This tends to make the other employees feel they can not bother with thier job as well.

No freebies given to just friends of managers, but not friends of employees. This goes back to Iron Fist Management. Set a policy in place and everyone follows it.

Dave

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 06:39 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good manager has to lead by example, and must possess a thorough knowledge of all aspects of the operation. Those who "fake it" will soon lose the respect of employees. There's nothing worse than the boss who appears to know everything, but in reality knows nothing.

Fairness is also the key, regardless of one's management "style". Of course, be firm, but be fair.

Flexibility is also necessary. You never want to see the manager paint onesself into a corner. Are there ever exceptions to a rule? You bet!

Above all, delegate responsibility to others. I feel one of the worst faults is the tendency to "micromanage". If there are assistants who excell in their particular area (concession, floor, projection), let them take the ball and run with it and stay the hell out of the way. If on the other hand, an assistant is struggling, you will have to stay on top of the situation, but that's not micromanaging.

Know when to cut your losses when it comes to bad employees. You are running a business, not a rehabilitation center. When an employee starts to "go South" remember( in the words of our Managing Director) that it doesn't get better, because it doesn't. Cut 'um loose.

Reward those who are doing a good job, even if it is just a compliment. People will work harder when they know they are appreciated.

Finally. at least listen to what other people have to say, even if they don't appear to know what they are talking about. Nobody ever learned anything with their mouth open, as the old saying goes.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-14-2002 06:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave said:

"A good manager rules with an iron fist."

The Iron Fist technique is called "Mission Management", and it is good for short range goals only. But it sucks for long-term goals. Even the military has gotten away from that technique for the most part 30 years ago. They want to keep their personnel.

Mission Management works well in a crisis situation. Sometimes that style of management is required, but other times it can get in your way. I tend to stay away from that style of management unless I have no other choice. Mission management is like a dictatorship. Sometimes it is needed, but most of the time it is not.

What the military and corporates are looking for these days is "Middle Management", namely the ones who can swing from Mission Management to People-orentated Management as the situation calls for.

People-orientated Management is good for long-range goals.

However, I fully agree with Dave's statement, "A good manager does not get personally close to his employees. There must be a professional distance between them. If an employee gets the idea that they are now buddies, they will tend to slack off believing that they will get preferential treatment. This tends to make the other employees feel they can not bother with thier job as well."

I also agree 100% with Dave's statement, "No freebies given to just friends of managers, but not friends of employees."

Dave, that is not "Iron Fist Management." It is called "People-orientated Management." It is being consistant, impartial, firm, and fair when dealing with ALL subordinates and superiors.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-14-2002 06:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Hendrickson, you said it very well. It re-enforces some of what I was trying to say in my earlier post.

Thank you.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-14-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, you are certainly getting some awful good advice on this thread! This one may have to be bumped up from time to time as the question is asked in the future. These are some of the best, most thought out and professional posts I've seen in awhile.

I must agree with everything said on this thread, except for Dave's recommendation of the Naziesque "Iron Fist" management. That simply does NOT work. Employees hate those kind of managers and they will not stick around for any length of time. In fact, if you anger them enough with that sort of nonsense, you might find your personal life will be affected, for many employees when pushed too hard may start "getting you back" for being an A-hole to them. I've seen managers like this have their cars broken in to, tires slashed, personal items they brought to the theater stolen and even things done to their house if the employees figure out where the manager lives! Please don't do that. Be a professional. Those are REAL PEOPLE who are working under you, not doggie turds. Treat them that way.

"Do unto others as you would like them to do to you."

*or*

"Screw unto others as you would like them to do to you."

It goes one way or the other, you can't have both.

One question for Sean. Are you "Sean" to your employees, or are you "Mr. McKinnon"? A word of advice, even though I will probably get flamed for it from the hard-ass managers on this board...drop the Mr. McKinnon. Go by Sean. Have your fellow managers call you Sean. Introduce yourself to employees as Sean. Specifically tell your employees that your name is Sean and let them know that ALL of you are there as a TEAM to run that theater and that you are no better than anyone else there, you are just the one directing the operation. You will be AMAZED at how far this one little thing will go! Nobody likes to be bossed around, and every time your employees have to address someone higher than them as "Mr." reminds them they are the low man on the totem pole and kills a bit of morality. Forced respect will get you nowhere. Respect must be earned.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 08:18 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since I can only seem to think negatively, here's what makes a BAD manager:

Not knowing or caring about movies or how projection equipment works.
Interrupting and/or not listening to what other staff members have to say.
Thinking that the proper response to one customer complaining that the sound is too loud is to automatically have the volume turned down.
Finding nothing but faults with good workers (they should let them know what else they want them to do, but acknowledge if they ARE doing the main part of their job right!)
Not LIKING to spend time at the theatre!!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-14-2002 09:28 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone in a position of authority at the local Cinemarks seems to be addressed as "Mr." (or presumably "Ms" as the case may be). Is that a formal Cinemark policy?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-14-2002 09:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes David, that is the corporate thought pattern of Cinemark. Obviously I don't agree with that approach and their high turnover rate and general low staff morale proves it. It's not my company to run though.

Sean one other thing that works very well is to never "order" anyone to do something. Instead phrase the order as a "question", and be sure to say "please". For example, "David, go clean up that vomit in the men's restroom." As opposed to, "David, would you please clean the vomit in the men's restroom?" The latter is much more effective, as it keeps more of a team effort and the manager in this instance is asking the employee more as a friend, instead of commanding him like a dictator to do something...especially when it's something nasty like cleaning up vomit. (That being said, I personally cleaned up the vast majority of all vomit incidents in the theater when I was managing for UA. I didn't want to ask an employee to do something that I would not want to do myself, and that was my way of showing it. The only time I didn't is when I HAD to be somewhere else in the theater due to a time schedule. In those instances, I thanked the employee and always tried to make sure they understood I was sincere.)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-14-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, another good point to remember:

Never ask or tell someone to do something you yourself would not do.

David, as we know some corporations have the "Mister, Ms, or Mrs." protocol in place. I think that is OK, but I also think it should be left up to the individual as how they want to be addressed. If that individual insists that corporate protocol is used, I will just forget about using the protocol and their name altogether.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I think the whole Mr and Mrs thing is stupid. AFAIK all Loews people are adressed by first names. Thanks for the advice everyone!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: