Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Major UK Arthouse Distributor is Closed

Author Topic: Major UK Arthouse Distributor is Closed
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-11-2002 09:43 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Four's independent production arm is closed following massive losses.

A certain sense of deja-vu here: Korda, British Lion, Goldcrest, Rank... and now Film Four. As with the others, one or two expensive turkeys (in this case Velvet Goldmine and Charlotte Grey) have bought down the whole company. I guess that the Hollywood studios can absorb these sorts of losses because at any one time they'll have 20 profit-making features on release for every one liability, but on the scale the British film industry operates, those economies of scale just do not apply.

I hope Film Four will continue to distribute European and American independent product to British cinemas: they've released some good stuff over the years.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-11-2002 09:55 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a sad day for all of us who make our living in the film Industry.

As someone once said...When one door closes another one opens. Hopefully this will be the case.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2002 11:32 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit of a shame that. More so for an old boss of mine, he left the company to take up a fairly senior position at C4 Films!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2002 03:50 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To US audiences FilmFour put out a steady supply of upmarket/arthouse product. Four Weddings and a Funeral was a hit for the now-defunct Gramercy. East is East was a semi-hit for Miramax and would have been a hit for any other US studio.

FilmFour most recently had a US output deal with Warner Bros. -- but that will last only for one title. Charlotte Gray tanked as "Oscar Bait" last Xmas.

Ironically, Charlotte Gray is currently an arthouse hit in Australia (via Universal).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: