Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » rocky horror

Author Topic: rocky horror
Matthew Wilkinson
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2002 01:57 AM      Profile for Matthew Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does anyone know who to contact to show this film or buy a copy? want to show it the month of october. im located in wayne michigan between ann arbar and detroit please let me know

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-03-2002 05:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a theater? Are you a college? Are you just an individual who wants to rent a print for a week? Need more info.

Matthew Wilkinson
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2002 09:30 AM      Profile for Matthew Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are a non-profit group called the palace theatre co. and we own an historic theatre built in 1927 as a vaudeville house! Its a 850 seat theatre. Our theatre is not fully restored yet but we are working on it and thought that this would be a great fund raiser. We are able to use the citys movie theatre to show the film. Our website is [url=http://www.historicwaynetheatre.com]

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 02:05 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt
You should contact your nearest Fox office if in need of a 35MM print.
I understand if Rocky Horror is playing somewhere in your territory you'll play hell trying to get a print. This happened to me several years ago in Portland OR. Not really sure how they are handling it now.
Like Brad mentioned we need more info.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-04-2002 02:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The month of October, inparticularly the last week, will be damned hard to get a print. Everyone likes to play Rocky around Halloween.

You need to contact Criterion distribution to book that. It is a Fox film. I don't have their info handy, but I know it has been posted on these forums before. Just do a search for "criterion".

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 03:36 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Criterion's website is at http://www.criterionpic.com/ and has a searchable database.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-04-2002 08:48 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmmm I don't know if I would play that movie after spending a lot of money on restoration. It has been known to generat some theater damage. Have some security on hand to keep things under control.

Matthew Wilkinson
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2002 11:17 PM      Profile for Matthew Wilkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew Wilkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well like i said our theatre is not fully restored yet. We have used it as a haunted house for the past 14 years. We are starting to renovate the theatre as a theatre again. Really just cleaning it up really good and some paint. In the 70's they converted our theatre into a music store so the leveled off the floor with wood and been that way ever since. We just removed the fake floor and we are painting so not a big renovation yet! There was a fire that destroyed the storfronts and the lobby of the theatre in 85! well let be know of anything i might want to know about the movie thanks.

Brent Arnold
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2002 11:50 PM      Profile for Brent Arnold   Email Brent Arnold   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of off Topic. But I talked to the Manager today, and said we should show Rocky Horror, and they said "deffinently Not... It has a transvestite in it" Bah, I know we could show it at our theatre for a week and would sell out every night. We have a perfect theatre for it. (for all the interactions and stuff)

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2002 07:27 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That may be true Brent, but you need to also figure in the cleanup costs and such associated with having Rocky due to the participation.

Around the block from the former theatre I managed was a theatre that every saturday night played Rocky for their midnight show (They've had a booking of it for at least 10 years now, probably more.) with a floorshow and the full participation.

The ONLY reason they had success with it is because the floorshow company also agreed to volunteer to clean up after the show. The extra cleaning costs alone (even with 300-400 for a show) could more than eat up all of the potential profits on this film.

While your manager might have said no because "it has a transvestite in it," other factors such as horror stories most of us have heard about auditoriums being trashed due to the audience participation could have played a part in the decision.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 01:45 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently approached by a group here in Las Vegas asking if we would 'lend them an auditorium' for them to run RHPS on Saturdays at midnight. They had been running it at the dollar house in town and then the dollar house was shut down.

Do you know what the answer was?

(hint:We are operating a brand new 14 plex just opened May 3rd)

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2002 03:15 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been approached twice by this very same group at both theatres I have worked at in Vegas as well. The second time they wanted to run Headwig and the Angry Inch. That theatre you are talking about Dennis... I have heard they may become a first run theatre shortly.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-10-2002 12:27 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you run it figure on that auditorium being down for a day or 2 while you clean, repair slashed seats draperies, reattach seats to the floor.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-10-2002 08:29 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of morons do you have there?
RHPS ran in Toronto for years, every weekend. I think the RH shows kept that place alive for years.
The cleanup was slightly more than normal, but you have to sweep anyway so what's a little rice and toast with the popcorn, really? Nobody slashed seats, tore curtains, blah blah blah.
Sometimes the screen gets a little water sprayed on it, not a big deal. People bring squirt guns and make "rain" for a few seconds, this is NOT a general attack on the screen.

The fans are there for a good time, not a riot. They are strangely dressed, a bit weird, sometimes stoned - sound like Star Wars fans a bit? They want to come back next week so they aren't about to wreck the place.

Run the show. Make money. Keep an eye on the crowd. Is this different from any other night?
If you don't want to deal with the public, you're in the wrong business.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-10-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run rocky horror once a month and give the patrons a nice "pat down" before they are let in the theater, no toast, or squirt guns, or anything else. Just a really loud, fun, oddly dressed crowd. They still love it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: