Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Monsters gone away -- comin' back another day

Author Topic: Monsters gone away -- comin' back another day
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 06:23 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An early heads-up to all Film-Techers: Disney looks like it will re-release Monsters, Inc. for Labor Day.

That'll give the Monsters one last go-round in the theaters before going to video.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 07:11 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those bastards pulled it from all sub-runs after only 4 weeks of release. They were afraid it would affect Lilo & Stitch's numbers. It was my #2 movie at the time ... and the only thing I got to replace it with was Woody Allen's Hollywood Ending crap.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-02-2002 08:07 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, a Woody Allen film normally will not top a good disney film, but its grosses don't necessarily mean the movie is crap. I have had plenty of great films that I lost money on, but it wasn't crap. Most audiences seem to flock to the crappy eye candy offered today. If it doesn't blow up, it sucks.

Dave

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said!

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2002 12:15 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave -

The crap comment was in reference to the gross. I'm in this business to make money ... so if something doesn't gross ... I classify it as crap. Hollywood Ending grossed 7% of what Monsters had grossed the previous weekend.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2002 02:32 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And once again, this brings up the question of print quality. After the Pearl Harbor reissue I got, with its 3 vertical scratches (thru all NINE REELS) and poor head and tail leader one can only wonder what Disney has for us this time.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2002 12:44 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>_< demmit. I remember getting a seriously beat-up print of "Dinosaur" when Buena Vista re-issued "Dinosaur" & "Gone in 60 Seconds", together.

I can honestly say that I have never seen any pther print as damaged as that print of "Dinosaur". There were easily a dozen vertical scratches (minimum) across the screen throughout the entire movie! Some of them were base side scratches (they were black), then there was a plethora of emulsion side scratches - a fair dose of green, another fair dose of yellow, and even a sprinkling of white! On top of that, the print was filthier than filthy!

Just how inattentive were the people that handled the print previously?
...obviously Technicolor doesn't know what they should look for when inspecting prints!!!

For as long as I'm a projectionist, I hope to never handle such an abused bit of film!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-03-2002 01:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gripe all you want about Disney, but I'm all in favor of any studio holding a title back from video for 10 months. I wish the rest of'em would take note that Disney will not lose a single video $ for doing this, in fact they will make MORE money because of the additional theatrical revenue.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2002 03:13 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any problem with them holding the film back from video, I have a second job at Best Buy and it's a lot fewer boxes of DVDs to unload.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2002 09:06 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox is re-releasing "Ice Age" in August. They haven't set a firm date yet, but it is being pulled from all theaters on July 19th. For those of you discounts out there ... beware ... Ice Age WILL end on July 18. Once again, my top picture will be forced to be final (Fox didn't make Ice Age available to subruns in my area until July 3 ... so I only get a 2 1/2 week run out of the film.)

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 02:50 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if Monsters, Inc. will get re-released now. Upcoming Movies has confirmed the re-release of Ice Age.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2002 03:47 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bumping it back up top to ask: Are the re-releases of Ice Age and Monsters, Inc. still on?

Labor Day weekend only has 1 new wide release plus 2 arthouse titles going at least semi-wide.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I'm aware of. I never heard anything about a Monsters, Inc. re-issue. We were re-issued Monsters, Inc. sub-run on 8/2/02. It only played for 2 weeks, then was taken off screen due to low gross. Fox never pulled Ice Age, either, and it too was taken off screen due to low gross on 8/15/02. Fox canceled the plans for the Ice Age re-issue on 8/16 presumably due to it being a waste of everyone's time. Speaking of a waste of time ... are any of you showing "Little Secrets"?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: