Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » need advise or suggestions on how to compete

Author Topic: need advise or suggestions on how to compete
Rick Meister
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 12:56 PM      Profile for Rick Meister   Email Rick Meister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone
I have a single screen theater in a small town. I do ok until the Competitor opens his drive in theater and then business just goes to hell in a hand basket as they say.
I have stereo sound, air conditioning,2 showings each night, a 2 for tuesday night, and free popcorn thursday night.All of this and business just sucks after they open. I play just as good of movies as they do. Anyone have any ideas short of closing down during the summer? Would appreciate any help.l

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 01:08 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd advertise that I had better sound and airconditioning. I might concider dumping the late night shows in the summer and running and early evening show instead.

The with the Drive in offering two shows for the price of one, I might try to get the same deal for the inside theatre.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-30-2002 01:52 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ian on this one. You need to get rid of the last showing you run and run an earlier show. Since the drive-in plays movies at night around 9 or 9:30 you can run your shows around 7 for the evening and another show between 4 and 5 in the afternoon. Also try to avoid playing the same things as the drive-in.

Jeff Akin
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 02:16 PM      Profile for Jeff Akin   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Akin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you do is have a friend get a job there. Make sure they will be able to work in the booth. Then, have them scratch up their lenses really bad and sabotage all their sound equipment.

Then no one will want to go to that drive-in.

Ok, maybe not the best idea. Push that AC like mad! Everyone loves going to the movies in the summer just for the AC.

------------------
-----------
2 Time ICWF Champion

2 Time ICWF Hardcore Champion

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To compete, or not to compete. That is the question.

Ask yourself if you want to compete head on with similar products & push the whole inside comfort idea.

Or do you want to screen a more art house movie as competition?

Then again the idea of scratching their lenses ......

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 05:15 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People go to the drive-in because they like the drive-in experience---sitting out in lawn chairs, low prices, a wide variety of hot freshly cooked food, etc.---plus you get to see a double feature and you can smoke, talk during the movie, and bring the baby!

With fewer drive-ins in operation than years ago, you should be proud of a community that supports the drive-in theater. Chill out, drop the late showings at your theater and go take in a drive-in movie!

Ken Layton
projectionist
Skyline Drive-in Theater
Shelton, Washington

P.s. We were beyond sold out last night---way above capacity. We had to turn away over 100 cars last night because we had no room for them!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2002 08:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to the suggestions above regarding pushing the A/C, if I were you, I would look into buying that drive-in. Then you could program complimentarily instead of competing.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 10:36 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cross promotions with other local business can help a lot. Depending on the type of movies that you show, you might be able to ride the national promotions for fast food restaraunts and the like (like Dairy Queen currently has Scooby Doo promotions going). Also, try catering to group sales. For instance, if you show Harry Potter, invite the middle school at a discount during the early afternoon. The drive in cannot target groups like that.

Being so far north, how can they start their shows before nine o'clock? Push the earlier, more convienient showtimes for families.
-Adam

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 11:36 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about you guys, but when I was young & drive-in was everywhere, In Texas a drive-in was a cheap motel some of my best work was at a drive-in...we could not do that at a local indoor theatre...soooo if your driving teenagers are not coming to a indoor theatre....hummmmmmm, maybe they are at a Texas Style motel !!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 09:25 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Ken. You're not gonna get many to come just because you have A/C. Drive-ins aren't for the quality of their presentation, they're for the social aspect. Don't start mud-slinging, or you could just make people grouchy. You may also want to try an earlier matinee for a reduced price. Our 1:00pm shows seem to do very well all summer long, but you could at least try on the weekends. Open for a couple hours, close for a few, then open again for the evening.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-01-2002 01:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, mostly, with what the others have said. Drive-ins are selling a different product than indoor theatres and don't necessarily need to be in competition with each other.

Depending on the market, the indoor theatre might be able to do well with art-house and/or childrens' films and, as others have mentioned, afternoon shows. There might be an opportunity to do some cross-promotion with the drive-in...maybe have the drive-in hand out schedules or flyers for the indoor theatre and offer to advertise the drive-in at the indoor theatre by giving them a poster case or literature rack or on-screen slide ads.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 03:30 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken can probably attest to this as much as anyone else, but drive-in patrons and indoor patrons are two totally different breeds of people. Drive-in patrons in general couldn't care less about air conditioning or multi-channel surround sound and THX certified auditoriums. Drive-In patrons are there for more of the social aspect of the evening, usually lured by ability to get MORE out of their entertainment dollar than just a two hour movie.

Being in South Dakota, your drive-in operator probably has a relatively "short" operating season due to the climate of the region. If your indoor operation and the drive-in can "co-exist" in the same market, more power to both of you!!

Just remember your drive-in competitor during the busy holiday season. While your theatre is over-run by families trying to catch the next Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, that drive-in on the other side of town will be dark, under a foot of snow... with no paying customers at all for several months.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: