Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Who is your Concession Suppier (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who is your Concession Suppier
Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 11:10 AM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there was a thread started a while back asking about Concession Suppliers, but I wanted to bring the topic back up because I would appreciate some advice from the masses.

My current concession supplier is Clark Food Service. But the handwriting on the wall is telling me that Clark is moving away from supplying theatres, at least independent ones like me.

I heard that they already dropped theatres in Michigan and NC.

Who do you recommend? I am located in southeastern Indiana.

I have been looking into Indiana Concession.
Someone has also told me about Continental Concession Supply out of New York - they supposedly have a distribution center in Chicago.
Does anyone have any comments on these two suppliers?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Tony Ratcliff
Ohio Theatre
Madison, Indiana

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-28-2002 02:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Theatre Candy, out of Salt Lake City. Don't know if they service Indiana or not. Check their website www.theatrecandy.com

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 03:26 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Liberto. I do know that they subcontract much of the midwest to Concession Services in Chicago. You might check with them.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 08:57 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Showtime Concessions also runs out of Indiana, though I don't know where.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 10:56 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marjack. Corporate office is in New Jersey. We get our shipments out of California.
www.marjack.com

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-29-2002 01:27 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sysco. http://www.sysco.com

-Aaron

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had my own theatre in upstate NY back in the late 80's I started my own concession company. I was buying pocorn oil in bulk. popcorn bags in bulk as well as my candy and then reselling them to the other local indies. It was working real well and saved a great deal for me and the other indies. Maybe there could be a coop started to save everyone some money

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-01-2002 01:26 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early 1990s, when I was in the Cincy/Indy area, my supplier was Indiana Concession Supply on Shadeland Avenue in Indianapolis.

According to the current yellow pages:
Indiana Concession Supply, 2402 N Shadeland Ave, Indpls 46219
(317) 353-1667

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked for Muller Family Theaters in Minnesota, they used Clark. They had a good array of supplies to offer, but the dropoff and pickup times were never really for certain and we would sometimes get the wrong candy delivered to us. Although they weren't that hard to get over to you when you needed emergency shipments.

I have no idea who Marcus uses right now in MN, my 8-plex only gets about one shipment a month.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-02-2002 02:41 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harland Fairbanks. They are good people and a good company. Fair and honest, along with the competitive prices.

Bill Hallsworth
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 09:59 PM      Profile for Bill Hallsworth   Email Bill Hallsworth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get all our concession goodies from Word Popcorn. As far as I know, all the theaters in our area (Regal Atlanta locations) get their stuff from Word.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2002 01:31 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info!

Looks like I have several phone calls to make.

But if anyone else has suggestions, I'm still very interested.

Tony

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2002 10:06 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Gold Medal. http://www.gmpopcorn.com/

Josh Mitoska
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2002 10:38 PM      Profile for Josh Mitoska   Email Josh Mitoska   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tony, I just dropped clark and switched to Continental, I'm in Michigan. They deliver for free, and their prices are better to!! Here is the number of the continental salesman if you want to call him his name is Marty 1-812-569-8759

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 10:53 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony:

If you buy from a company that specializes in supplying theatres you're probably going to pay more for it than you would if you bought elsewhere. If you are an independent (as opposed to a chain that has signed a contract with a supplier) buy from the wholesaler in your area that supplies your local grocery store. I have found that I can get all I want from such a supplier in my area. No, they don't sell "theatre packs" but if you've kept abreast of the industry you know that moviegoers are not impressed with "movie packs" and certainly not impressed with the price they have to pay for them. The second biggest complaint from customers today is the high price of concessions. (The number one complaint is high admission prices.)
Your local grocery supplier will be able to give you at least as much variety and at a lower price (without a contract too). You will then be able to lower you're concession prices and make it up in volume because, believe me, word will get around. And if you have any chain competition you'll come out on top since the corporate brass seems to have turned a deaf ear to the complaints of moviegoers.

Bob
The Old Showman

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: