Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New/Old Single Screen

Author Topic: New/Old Single Screen
Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 12:13 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright guys and girls...

I am in need of a little help. I am working on getting a single screen theatre back operating again. This is going to be a bit of work. Originally this theatre opened in 1939 with about 500 seats. It currently hold only 150 seats. The owners have installed rooms in the auditoriums to display ice sculptures. On top of these rooms are going to be balcany seats. It really going to be a nice set up.

I am looking for advice and suggestions in renovating this theatre. I would appreciate you sharing any problems that you have run into while doing your projects so I won't make the same mistakes.

We will be doing everythings from building a concession stand to hooking up the sound and projection system.

Thanks in advance for your help. I will give you more details as I get them.

------------------
-Joshua Lott

:)

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 02:51 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing where you are 1 would be heating. It costs me a fortune to heat in winter.
We paid;
$50 000.00 for a repaint inside & out.
Approx $60 000.00 for updated equipment.
Building codes need to be checked out. Incl fire
Check out what the market will be, & organise supply.
I am really sick at the mo, so my mind isn't working that well. I am sure someone else will have some input.

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 03:21 AM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might be an idea to check out the interest around the area, like getting together a Film club so you may get a resource of Trades People to help with the project, check out if the building meets the public assembly requirements (Fire & other safety requirements)wheel Chair access etc. and assess the condition of any plant (equipement) in the building and call the local paper to let them know what you are going to do (they might do a story) and this may bring some Knowledgeable people out of the woodwork , work out the minimum seats per session you require to stay viable and the type of film supply you can get , what is the closest competition and what are you going to do to attract people to come to your theatre ,is there good pedestrian traffic past you theatre and then how much money do you have to spend (or the Bank).....hope this helps.

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 09:27 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably want to get a very knowledgable projection tech in there to check out what needs to be done. Also, do the same for HVAC, fire codes, building integrity, paint, parking lot paving, etc. Even if you are going to do some of this yourself the pro's will let you know just how deep you are getting yourself into this project.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 09:37 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget "ASBESTOS ABATEMENT". Since it was built in 1939, it may have been retrofited somewhere along the way with asbestos. If it's there.... you'll more than likely have to have it removed.

There is a great old single screener on the town square in my home town that'll seat 1000 people, and it has been closed down for years. My wife and I looked into buying it as well as the drive-in, but the entire theatre is full of asbestos. It would've cost more to get rid of the stuff than it would've cost to buy the place.

It might be worth it to just check on it.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Lebanon, Tennessee

Stardust Drive-In Theatre
Watertown, Tennessee

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 09:57 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The owners have installed rooms in the auditoriums to display ice sculptures."

Huh? What the ....? Are you saying the heating system doesn't work? Does the audience get to see a film and a carved swan? Would you care to be a little more detailed? How does a single screen theatre have auditoriums (plural)? As it comes across, the project sounds a little... er... psychotic.

Surely there has to be a better explanation.

Joshua Lott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2002 10:53 AM      Profile for Joshua Lott   Author's Homepage   Email Joshua Lott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry,

Sorry that is supposed to read "auditorium." It was a typo. As for the ice sculptures they are inside inclosed rooms/display areas that are at a colder temp then the rest of the building.

And yes they will be able to see the ice sculptures in between shows. I will submit pictures within a week so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Also currently the building meets are fire and building codes. They are open for business for the "Ice Musuem."

To see some of the type of sculptures you can go to www.icealaska.com
That park is owned by the same people that own this theatre. As it is being used currently for an indoor Ice Show.

------------------
-Joshua Lott

:)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: