Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Warner Bros. producing new Looney Tunes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Warner Bros. producing new Looney Tunes
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-21-2002 01:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to IME, Warner Bros. is going to make a new series of Looney Tunes "in the style of Chuck Jones and Tex Avery" to release with their upcoming features.

While I love the idea of new Looney Tunes, I really wish they would just reprint the old ones, especially the 1950s-era toons. "Knighty Knight Bugs" anyone?

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2002 02:42 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this from somebody over at Warner Brothers. Problem is -who's going to do the voices?

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-21-2002 06:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On one of those gawdawful Movie Tunes disks, they had Mel Blanc's son Joel doing some of the character's voices. Problem: He sucks.

I don't doubt they'll be able to find voice people. (Although anyone trying to do Sylvester the cat these days tends to overdo the lisp.)

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2002 09:58 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would never be the same. There was only one Chuck Jones. And only one Mel Blanc, for that matter.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-21-2002 11:17 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the one hand I wouldn't mind seeing some new ones if they can be done to the same level of irreverent quality. The recent track record doesn't look so good though--the last few "new" ones they've done were rather uninspired IMO.

On the other hand, why risk making new ones when hundreds of titles from the real thing sit in the vaults just aching for re-release? Many of them have already been digitally cleaned up for use in the ongoing Bugs Bunny on Broadway concerts...

Yoikes and away!

Paul
SMPTE Hollywood Section
Gimpy Mercenary Film/Video Projectionist/Engineer
Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Thrust!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-22-2002 01:30 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Mel Blanc's son do the voice sounds now? I heard somewhere that he did.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-22-2002 02:55 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joel Blanc, Mel's son, does all the voices now. He can just about hit it, but for us old timers, nothing but Mel will do. Besides, no one does animation like Chuck Jones, so why bother. I agree, reprint the old ones, they will always be classic and the most funny.

The new stuff they keep spewing out suck my big hairy white....um... rabbit.

Dave

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 05:38 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been actually others now doing voices for the Looney Tunes. Billy West has been doing Bugs' and Elmer's voices for a awhile (since Space Jam) and he is pretty damn good. Billy West has been responsible for Fry and the professor for Futurama, Red M&M, Ren and Stimpy, Ralph Roach, Shaggy and others.

However, the best place to go is http://www.voicechasers.org/Actors/
This site is a wealth of information for just voice actors and others that have done voice overs.

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that Casey Casem did the voice of Shaggy.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-22-2002 07:20 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
funny, I thought so too. Perhaps they are referring to the new cartoons or the movie?

Josh

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

Jeff Akin
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 11:25 AM      Profile for Jeff Akin   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Akin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as long as Mel's son is as far away as possible! I want to vomit every time he pops up on movie tunes. I mean, I never knew that Daffy sounded so effeminate until Mr. Blanc was so kind as to completely ruin the sound of his voice!

------------------
-----------
2 Time ICWF Champion

2 Time ICWF Hardcore Champion

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-22-2002 12:16 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mel Blanc was known as "One-take" Mel. Always perfect on the first shot.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 01:52 PM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Casey Kasem used to do the original Shaggy, but since the new Scooby cartoons have been done it has been Billy West.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 03:24 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometime in July, the Seattle Symphony is doing the music track for a bunch of Bugs Bunny cartoons at the symphony hall here in Seattle.
Not sure if they are omitting the voices though. Our BA got a call from them for a couple of projectionists to run it. Didn't get many details though. Boy would I love to get that job, I hear they've got What's Opera Doc, Barber of Seville and a host of the good old ones.
Will let you know when we get more on it.

"What do you want from an opera?.....a happy ending?

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allegedly, Kasem refused to voice Shaggy on the recent videos and films because they showed Shaggy eating huge sandwiches that included lunchmeat. Kasem is a devout vegetarian and claimed in an interview that he could no longer give voice to a character that promoted such bad eating habits to kids. I am pretty sure I heard him mention this in an interview on Access Hollywood or something, but it could be a false memory of an urban legend. In any case, in the film version they made sure to make Shaggy vegetarian.

Of course he probably cashes all his residual checks, but that's another story

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: