Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Finally...my dream job.....

Author Topic: Finally...my dream job.....
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After 30 years working in 35mm houses from popcorn popper, concessionaire, boxoffice, assistant manager, manager, projectionist, film festival projectionist (Hawaii international & Telluride) I have finally found my dream job as Theater operations Manager in a large format House. It is new and I am learning a hec of a lot. I make my own budget. Raise my own money. Order my own prints. Keep the booth technically top fit and I am having a blast. All of you at film-tech have made this job so much easier for me. I want to work for the perfect presentation. Thanks to all of you who have posted on this forumn. You are keeping dream jobs alive and good presentations proper respect. Who else has a dream job?

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

|  IP: Logged

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 05:04 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me be the first to say you are very welcome.
You all see there is light at the end of that tunnel.
I now have my dream job.......one that I worked for for some five years.
No more popcorn selling, dealing with those customers, doing paperwork etc. I'm a projectionist again working in a 10 plex and lovin' every minute of it.
God bless the good ol' US of A.
Right Matt?

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 06:06 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Thanks, Jan, for sharing the good news and your satisfactions.
You are a true inspiration to all!
Gerard

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 09:30 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you guys sure are nice and polite... Projectionists and techs should rule the world...

------------------
Jan Hackett

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2002 01:15 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to hear you are a happy chap!
So Jan whats the Large Format system you have there? I see your selling some gear also.
Darren

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2002 03:16 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan,
My hat goes off to you and others like you that make movie going fun and enjoyable and a very special time.
Just last Friday night at the local Bijou, as the lights dimmed for showing of " The Bourne Identity", I marveled at the fact that even though I have seen thousands of movies in my lifetime, (I have a log book to prove it) when the lights dim and the intro ads and trailers start, I escape from the dangerous world in which we live, if only for a few hours. It is a MAGIC TIME, that I only experience at the movies, it has never ever happened to me at home watching TV.
Your profession is a blessing to more people than you will ever know.
Thanks again for for what and your compatriots do, and as Bill Graham (rock promoter) once said about the Grateful Dead, I will say this about all you folks , that show movies for a living:

"You are not the best at what you do, . . . you are the only ones who do what you do. "
Good Day to you and I will see you in the movies!

------------------
...more signal, less noise!

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2002 11:18 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow guys thanks so much for the positive comments I am reminded of a t-shirt I recieved for projecting at the '97 Telluride film festival... It said on the front of the shirt.....

"In the darkness behind you"

and that has made all the difference!

------------------
Jan Hackett

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2002 12:07 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren..just read your post.... I have an 8:70 linearloop and am in a museum. The film is so much more vulnurable than 35 or should I say shows mistakes way more easily. The booth equipment I am selling is the first Iwerks booth in the US. It is not being used now as we have a new Iwerks theater but it is all in top notch condition and would make a great 70 mm screening room for some home. I wish I could afford it. I wish all projectionists the luck I have had. If I hadn't been a projectionist and had been a stock broker maybe I could afford my own private booth. But I At least get paid to run one of the best booths in the country. That makes it worth it.

------------------
Jan Hackett

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: