Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » film "stacking"or splitting screens

Author Topic: film "stacking"or splitting screens
Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi !,does anyone know about single or twin screen theatres in smaller resort type towns doubling films example: at nightime playing one film at 7 and a different one at 9.30 on the same screen or screens during peak periods in resort town theatres? This would be done to give a better variety to vistors for those short periods of times each year when these towns would need 4 screens for 6 weeks??, the rest of the year 1 or 2 screens would suffice. Does anyone do this?

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 09:38 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, my single screen is all over the place with times etc.

Basically you need to experiment on what times will work best.
I found that a bid session was Friday 9.00pm.
I then programmed Friday around that session.

The other variable is the type of movies your potential audience wants.
We have a varied audience so Iris would play mid to late afternoon while Resident Evil only flies at late sessions.

Also in small locations take special notice of events hapening & programme round them as splitting events does no-one any good.
Unfortunately you are going to win some & lose some

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
We also do it occasionally at our single, but you do have to be careful that the studios are ok with you "splitting" your screen. Newer movies seem to be hard to do that on.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 06:39 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a $2.50 cinema in my area that does this with two screens. They are always showing 6 or so different movies on those two screens. What kind of rental terms can you get to make this profitable?

OBTW, hot dogs are like 50 cents on Sundays!

Jeffry Gorecki
Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 06:56 AM      Profile for Jeffry Gorecki   Email Jeffry Gorecki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, we are doing that only, all over the year. But its abit different to what you mean, I think, because first we are located in Germany and scond we are, what you like to call a arthouse cinema and been in the business for 22 years now. Also the film schedule is based on a monthly term, with a variety of up to 30 films a month. But that wasnt ever paying out since the beginning, so the EU and the German State are giving us subsidies in form of pogram prizes. I dont know if that could work in the US

Jeff

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 09:45 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can name at least 1 theater that does double-ups or "stacking" year-round.

The Sag Harbor theater on Eastern Long Island is a single-screen in a resort/upmarket area (near East Hampton). This week the Sag Harbor has a double-up of My Big Fat Greek Wedding and The Mystic Masseur. Evening shows only -- no Saturday or Sunday matinees.

Strangely enough the Sag Harbor is listed on Hollywood.com but not on Moviefone. Also, this theater opened The Curse of the Jade Scorpion on the break last summer (UA did not play Jade Scorpion on Long Island).

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 10:21 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
50-cent weenies!? would have a field day!

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 12:17 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you were running second run or movies on flat rate, there would be no problems with the studios letting you do it, I believe.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 01:15 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 2 Cinemas in the Far North of NZ that were doing that with "Lord of the Rings" & "Monsters Inc" these theatres were about 1 hour from each other and they would meet at a mid point to exchange Reels (both on reeel to reel) and return to their theatres to get ready for the following sessions ,this had the blessing of the Distributors , "Cathay" Kerikeri and the "Swamp Palace" Bay of Islands had to keep up the "Cinema Paradiso" for awhile ,but these cinemas are used to working to gather like that .

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-16-2002 01:23 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a four screener here in Utah where we stacked em deep and sold em cheep!!!

We would routinely show eight to ten films , with our non family fare showing at the 9 o clock hour, and midnight films on weekends.

We rented them at flat rate of 90 dollars per week average, so it worked out great.

Dave

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2002 02:27 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With 1 screen

TUESDAY 11 1.00 KATE & LEOPOLD PG
TUESDAY 11 3.15 WE WERE SOLDIERS R16
TUESDAY 11 5.45 MEAN MACHINE M
TUESDAY 11 8.00 KATE & LEOPOLD PG

WEDNESDAY 12 1.00 MEAN MACHINE M
WEDNESDAY 12 5.30 SORORITY BOYS M
WEDNESDAY 12 8.00 MEAN MACHINE M

THURSDAY 13 2.00 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16
THURSDAY 13 5.30 MEAN MACHINE M
THURSDAY 13 7.45 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16

FRIDAY 14 2.00 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16
FRIDAY 14 5.00 ICE AGE G
FRIDAY 14 7.00 THE SCORPIAN KING M
FRIDAY 14 9.00 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16

SATURDAY 15 3.30 ICE AGE G
SATURDAY 15 5.15 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16
SATURDAY 15 7.00 THE SCORPIAN KING M
SATURDAY 15 8.45 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16

SUNDAY 16 3.30 ICE AGE G
SUNDAY 16 5.15 THE SCORPIAN KING M
SUNDAY 16 7.00 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16

MONDAY 17 1.00 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16
MONDAY 17 3.00 MEAN MACHINE M
MONDAY 17 5.30 KATE & LEOPOLD PG
MONDAY 17 8.00 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16

TUESDAY 18 1.00 MEAN MACHINE M
TUESDAY 18 3.00 WE WERE SOLDIERS R16
TUESDAY 18 5.30 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16
TUESDAY 18 7.30 WE WERE SOLDIERS R16

WEDNESDAY 19 1.00 MEAN MACHINE M
WEDNESDAY 19 5.30 WE WERE SOLDIERS R16
WEDNESDAY 19 8.00 VAN WILDER - PARTY LIASON R16

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2002 10:08 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to be stacking up to 7 prints....I want to show 4 different prints a day. This is where my platter storage rack comes in handy as I only have one screen,one projector and one platter. I will have to examine my film contracts to make sure they are in agreement. My biggest problem is finding sponsors for all the prints.

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-16-2002 11:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Highland Cinema in Kinmount used to

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: