Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Scooby Doo Standee (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Scooby Doo Standee
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 10:23 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a Scooby Doo standee today from Warner Brothers today and it was the most complicated assembly I think I have ever seen. It must have had 50 cardboard pieces that fit together with a AC ran backlight. We worked on assembly for over an hour and arent done yet. Anyone else get one of these? Couldn't it have been designed to be a unfoldable standee, thus being much easier to assemble?

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

|  IP: Logged

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 01:29 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got one too, but didn't find it to be any more difficult than most box standees. Except for the angled sides. The large Wild Wild West "W" standee and the folded leaf "Bugs Life" standee still haunt me though...

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 09:11 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst has to be the "X-Men" standee. It was roughly 300 feet tall, round, and had somewhere between 1 and 1.5 million cardboard tabs to fold out by crawling up inside the thing. Granted, it was rock-solid when it was finished, but what a pain. We completed it just in time for the movie to finish its run. I also remember Flubber being nasty.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 09:46 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was roughly 300 feet tall

300 feet? I take it this was an outdoor display? That's the height of a 20 to 30 story building.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-13-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's exaggerating, but I do remember it being something like 18 feet tall. (saw it in a picture on this site somewhere...)

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 02:24 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could he have meant 30?

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2002 08:31 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
18 feet?? The one we have in the booth is no more than 9 feet tall.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 10:18 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was exaggerating a touch. I think 18 feet is pushing it, actually. 9 Feet sounds about right. I just never seem to have much luck making Evans get my jokes...

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 02:08 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just never seem to have much luck making Evans get my jokes...

I got it. That's why I mentioned that it had to have been an outdoor display and put a smiley at the end of it. I knew since you exaggerated twice that you were being facetious. The "between 1 and 1.5 million tabs" kind of gave it away. I am a bit more mathematically analytical than the average guy, though.

I could just see us coming up with a "Paul Bunyan" style of story about running a theatre. "Those platters were 4 miles across and we used horses to pull the film to wind it around."

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 06:47 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I could just see us coming up with a "Paul Bunyan" style of story about running a theatre. "Those platters were 4 miles across and we used horses to pull the film to wind it around.""

Or the cheap owner stories:

Platters? We were too poor to have platters. We put the axle of a junked '56 chevy on end and taped a bit of plywood to the top of one of the wheels and attached a vaccuum cleaner motor to the bottom of the plywood... (not too far from the truth of the first platters)

Carbons? You guys had carbons? We had to go to the local school and pick up pencil stubs for use as carbons...

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-14-2002 07:46 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Red Green skit about movie projection would probably be pretty funny (to film handlers anyway). Yesterday I saw an episode where he rigged up a poor-man's flat-screen TV on the wall by mounting a regular TV in the floor, bouncing the image from a mirror to another mirror hanging on the wall. The funny part is it actually looked pretty good!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2002 08:13 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Those platters were 4 miles across and we used horses to pull the film to wind it around."

So the film would be as wide as a street, and large trucks would drive down it spraying film-guard as they went.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 10:24 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um, maybe I live under a rock (I've been told this before ), but what is Red Green?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-15-2002 04:59 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GASP

We need some canadian programming Pronto!!

Its a handyman (sortof) Show that they run on PBS up here. I think their URL is www.redgreen.com/ the show is a hoot, especially after dealing with the public for 8 hours selling dehidrated overpriced food.

It's ok, not all of us can be culturally enlightened

Josh

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Green is on PBS pretty much anywhere. He's kind of a poor man's Tim Taylor (I'm assuming you are familiar with Home Improvement). My favorite episode was when they used their last roll of duct tape, and had to break the glass over the emergency roll. The roll was too old and no good, so he prayed, and God answered by making it rain duct tape. Funny stuff.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: