Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home

This topic has been transferred to this forum: Film Handler's Forum.    
next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Diagonal Scratches

Author Topic: Diagonal Scratches
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 06:49 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that small diagonal scratches towards the right side of the screen are "platter scratches." I was just wondering if there is anything else that could cuase this type of scratch. Is there anything at the lab that could cause diagonal scratches before the print even gets to the theater? And is there anythinig in the film path that could cause such scratches? thx.

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-12-2002 07:04 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of equipment are you running? I had a simplex XL that used to do the same thing just out of the film gate.

Dave

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-12-2002 07:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave-

Please explain. I am curious. Was it a loop problem?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2002 07:42 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Big Sky P-Series film transport (platters), Kinoton PK60D projectors, and Big Sky failsafes.

Sorry, this should have been in FHF.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-12-2002 08:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally those type of scratches come from the last roller in the takeup of the platter being too low to where the film rubs up and over the edge of the platter deck. Those rollers should always be as high as possible. Ideally film should be taken up on the platter with the bar raised (speaking of a Christie here, most platters do not offer this option). Then the bar should be slowly lowered until you reach the point where the film lays against the deck. This is the optimum position. Sure the roller can be set lower without scratching, but the lower you go, the better chance your film will get scratched if the deck becomes warped from misuse.

To answer your question though, an out of line roller will make those same scratches. That's got to be a pretty badly aligned roller to do that though, so it should take no more than 2 seconds to find it.

The only other thing would be a projector loop scratch, but generally those are toward the middle of the picture and not on the edge.

Moving to FHF.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: