Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Finding Box Office Histories & Past Grosses

Author Topic: Finding Box Office Histories & Past Grosses
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2002 03:31 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found a small drive-in that is currently for sale. The asking price is low-enough that I could write a check for the place and have it paid for completely in full. It's currently open and running, but located 86 miles from home.

I've been advised by several other drive-in owners to get ahold of a copy of this theatre's "gross box-office" numbers to see what kind of business the place is doing.

The current operator (who is NOT the owner) is renting the place on a month-to-month basis (with no formal lease agreement). The realtor said, "You can either rent the place to the current operator... or he could be out tomorrow."

According to the realtor.. the current operator says he keeps no formal books for anyone else to see. He's currently showing sub-run product (more than likely on flat rental terms), and the money probably all just goes in his pocket.

Some of the other drive-in owners have suggested that I contact a local film booker and ask them to pull the records for this theatre. The other owners have also stated that by doing so could alert someone in the business to the property and it could be sold out from under us.

What's the best way to go about doing this?

We are going down to this theatre all three nights this weekend to get a feel for the place and see what type of crowd it currently attracts.

------------------
Barry Floyd
Floyd Entertainment Group
Nashville, Tennessee
(Drive-In Theatre - Start-Up)

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2002 03:56 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A booker won't know anything useful if the gate is being pocketed. You are doing the right thing by wandering down and checking things out yourself. Ask around at the local fast food joint to see if the kids go, etc.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-06-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what kind of hoops you'd have to jump through, but the local Tax Commissioner should know how much sales tax is being reported. That could give you some idea of what the current operator is at least claiming (more, if he's pocketing some). Compare that to what you find happening in-person.

Mike Williams
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 10:25 PM      Profile for Mike Williams   Email Mike Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet market research would also be important. If the area is full of old people and no young crowd (families) it might not be a good idea. With the right market, there are plenty of oppritunities for ancillary income like swap meets and other events that can be held on the property during the day. I wouldn't base everything off of the box office draw.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 04:22 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the area was full of old people, the drive-in would've closed years ago. Old people don't go to movies, much less drive-ins.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-09-2002 09:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of several theatre that do quite well with senior audiences (indoors that is)

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 08:10 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... 1 1/2 hours drive & 103 miles later (not including the drive home)...a whopping 58 cars on a Friday night in June for Spirit (the Horse movie) and Enough (with J. Lo). Found another Popcorn, candy and Hot Dog only place. The weather was perfect, but the crowds were lacking.

This place reminds me a little of what could have been old drive-in site we got screwed on last month by the zoning board.
The screen was in decent shape for being a telephone pole and plywood special.

The atmosphere was nice, as most of the locals knew everyone that walked in the door. When one of the previews during intermission hit the screen "Upside down and Backwards", no one made a sound. Well.. I take that back. We sat close enough to the booth that we could here the douser being slammed shut... then dead silence for about 45 seconds.

We contacted a film booker on Friday afternoon, and should recieve the numbers by mid-week.

After our trip down there on Friday night, we may just wait and see what else may come along.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 09:19 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry:

You should check that theater each night it's open over a about a months time to get an idea of what it's doing. Here at the Skyline the past couple of weeks Friday was dead as a doornail, yet Saturdays were packed, then dead again on Sunday. Don't forget that at this time of year there may be a Friday night graduation or Prom going on. It sounds like that drivein needs a more extensive menu of cooked food and better projection, too.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 10:41 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ken.

From what I understand this past weekend was worse than usual. Look at all the sports action that was going on: World Cup, NBA Finals, French Open finals, Belmont Stakes, Tyson fight, Stanley Cup final, LPGA Championship, interleague baseball, NASCAR.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: