Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Sneaking food into the theater (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sneaking food into the theater
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 07:21 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know it happens -- I've often enjoyed my movies with a candy bar I tucked into my pants pocket before I bought my ticket.

In one city the press has jumped all over it and made it sound like it's an epidemic.

Not only that, it made the front page!

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 07:59 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dislike when people sneak food in to my theatre and then don't clean it up. I especially hate sunflower seeds spit all over the floor.

We don't have any signs because we beleave negative signs will leave our customers with negative thoughts.

If you subtle and need to bring you own snacks in, far be it from me to make a big deal out of it. If you are blatent and carry a pizza or icecream I will remind you that it is customary to not consume outside food and drink in a movie theatre.

Those that do will never change and those that don't need a wide variety to choose from.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 09:23 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really would not bother me either if they just cleaned up their mess. If we see someone carrying in a pop or candy we ask them to not bring it in and the same if we see someone drinking pop out of a can in the auditorium. It just seems that in general, if someone sneaks in pop, beer, etc. they always seem to sit at the top and spill it all the way down.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 09:42 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kills me is when people sneak in a bag and then come out saying their popcorn spilled and could they get it refilled. Boy, that bag really got wrinkly between here and your seat. It amazes me, however, that otherwise good, honest people, rationalize to themselves that sneaking in food is not dishonest. Why are you sneaking it then? Parents sneaking in food for them and their kids, I wonder if it has an impact on the wee ones.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-31-2002 10:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Ontario any place that sells food will loose there license on the first conviction of outside prepared food on premisies

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 11:31 PM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We allow non aromatic food and drink into our cinemas, but do not allow hot fast foods (burgers,fish and chips,asian food etc...).
We have signs on our cinema doors saying 'no hot take away food' but people choose not to read it and when caught with hot food they say they didnt see the sign, we unfortunatly dont have any ushers on the doors anymore (cant afford them?)so we often catch them when it's too late, as the cinema already stinks of burger!.
When i go to the hoyts cinema which is 100 metres away, i usually pop into work grab a free coke and then go see the film at hoyts (for free) and they dont mind , the first time i asked if it was ok and they said no prob!.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes me mad is when people think that they can bring in their outside food/drink, then when i state that outside food and drink are not welcome ( well not those exactly words ) in our theater, and point to the BIG sign, is that they start up " ohhhh I didn't know, can you let me in just this one time ". Like are you bloody stupid? Haven't you been to a movie theater before? Every theater I've been to doesn't allow outside food or drink.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-01-2002 02:01 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day when I ran my theater, this is the wording of a sign we had posted on every door and in the lobby...

"Our business license says that we are a restaraunt, because we sell food. Just like any restaraunt, we ask that you refrain from bringing in your own food. If you did that at a nice place where they had no movie screens, they would kick you out on your keester. Just because our movie theaters are dark, doesn't mean that you can't hurt our feelings. We work very hard for very little pay so that you can have a great time here. We do this because we love you. Please remember this the next time you do us the great favor of purchasing a large popcorn and a large drink, both of which come with tasty free refills.

Oh, and nevermind the alligator, we only keep him in here because we cannot afford to pay a janitor to clean up all the outside food that is left behind on the floor. Just remember to keep your hands in your lap at all times. Oh, and he likes sunflower seed shells the most.

The Management"

For a discount house, we made 22 grand a week, 14 grand of it was concessions. that wasnt the case until we put up the very colorful and bright signs that just begged to be read.

Dave

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 02:04 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the customer was subtle, or at least tried to be, I would overlook outside food, depending on what it was. A candy bar or something is no big deal, and I even let a couple through while they were still eating their sub sandwiches so they wouldn't miss the beginning of the movie. But when someone goes as far as to order a pizza on their cell phone into the auditorium that's just obnoxious. (I witnessed the delivery person carrying it into the auditorium through the port hole.)
As far as people not cleaning up their snuck-in food, they should be severely beaten about the face and neck. I've seen everything from microwaved popcorn bags to 2-liter soda bottles left behind. It's as if they were saying, "Not only did we bring our own stuff that you sell here, we're going to make you clean it up, too."

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 04:13 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About outside food.

Does the cinema need to put a sign up (or text on say the back of the ticket) to tell you that outside food it not allowd. Plenty of the multiplexs I have seen have no sign ect anywhere.

In other words if they have no sign, then I would think it was acceptable to take my own food in.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-01-2002 08:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I owned a theatre, I don't think I would mind if people occasionally brought candy or other non-messy, non-smelly, non-noisy food into the theatre. People who do this sort of thing wouldn't buy anything at the theatre concession stand, anyway. Obviously, anyone who ordered pizza and had it delivered to the theatre should be forced to "donate" the pizza to the theatre staff.

Unless the theatre has a policy against outside food, I don't really see how bringing it in would be "dishonest" and there would be no need to "sneak" it in.

Having said that, I've never brought outside food into a movie; if I want to eat anything at all during a film, it would be popcorn and most theatres can provide better quality popcorn than I can make at home. Besides, I normally patronize theatres that I want to support, anyway, and I'm happy to patronize their concession stands.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 09:02 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about water? Many people including me, think you shouldn't have to pay for water. That being said, I would still never take water to an indoor. I don't feel bad when I take water into an outdoor, even though they sell it there. I always buy $10-$20 at any snack bar, knowing where the money is made. I can sleep at night.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 09:15 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I go to a movie I eat popcorn and red vines and coke. The local theater used to sell popcorn, twizzlers and pepsi. Twizzlers and pepsi make me gag so I always snuck in red vines and coke and bought popcorn. I always said that if they would sell what I wanted, I would buy it there, as I know how important it is to the theater as revenue. Well a few months back they changed over from pepsi to coke so now all I sneak in is red vines. I keep asking them if they have red vines hoping that they will start selling those as well but no luck so far.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 10:34 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave B: At the 12-plex near my home bottled water does well with the adult crowd. Hot food isn't much of a problem since there's a Mickey D's, a pizza parlor and an Arby's (roast beef) within walking distance.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2002 12:22 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subject of water!

We sell Crystal Geyser water for $1.75 a bottle. We also have carbonated, lime and lemon flavors.

We have pitchers of tap water (strangely not very good in Santa Rosa) on the counter at all times with small cups. This feature is very popular. We must refill the water many times during a rush. We put it there so people would stop asking for it and wasting time in line.

The little old ladies who buy nothing at the concession stand, ever, say, "Oh, we just love that you provide this service." We just smile while I think, 'you cheap bastards! Buy something, will ya?'

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: