Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Soundfold HELP!!!!

Author Topic: Soundfold HELP!!!!
Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2002 04:37 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems I’ve got a problem. I did a search and didn’t have anything come up, so I'll ask. Several months ago I put up a Soundfold-type (<b> NOT purchased from SOUNDFOLD</b> ) material in my auditorium. When I bought it, it came with a fire-rating sheet that said anything short of a nuclear device wouldn’t set this stuff aflame. Well, the local FD wanna see it in action, so they clip a piece of it and put a lighter to it. This crap goes up like a cheap paper bag.
Oh, shit.
So, now I have to remove ALL my wall covering from the building and have it treated or I will be shut down. Now that’s going to add a stunning aspect to my decor. The question I have is there any fire retardant that I can spray on or soak these in? I need to do this quickly since my auditorium will look like hell until I get it done and retested. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2002 04:45 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I assume this came up in your search, but in case it didn't, here is the soundfold page with the fire specs on it: http://www.soundfold.com/panelspecs.htm

Good luck!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-30-2002 04:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the flame spread sheet marked with a UL label?
Did they ignite it from the bottom or from the top. The UL specification is it must be lit from the top.
Rosco makes a good flame retardent that can be sprayed on and there are severalother brands. They must be applied by a UL approved contractor. Most theatrical stageing companies can do this

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-30-2002 08:59 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soundfold drapery on their pleated bracket system is very fire resistant....this seems to be a fire person not knowing how to properly test the material...as installed. I had a problem with a seating job when a fire marshal tested the fabric of a chair while holding up a piece of the fabric, which quickly burned his shirt. The spec on the chair noted it was flame resistant with the fabric bonded to the fire resistant padding of the chair...when we tested as speced the chair was almost impossible to ignite.
If Soundfold supplied you with the fabric it should have a flameproof certificate, which if not, Art and Tony Sickels or Tom Miltner can handle the details. Sometimes people will buy their brackets and the fabric from somewhere else. There are two types of flameproofing; one a flame resistant type applied chemically to the surface and inherent in which it is within the weaving of the fabric; both of which retain moisture in the fabric to slow down flame spread. Flameproofing is not forever and inherent lasts longer. If you are using the panel type system, the flame spread is based on the fabric bonded to the fiberglas for flameproofing.
I have used Soundfold products for many years and the guys are very responsible.....most Regal Cinemas have Soundfold products. I have also done claim adjusting and depositions for insurance companies and have seen instances where people have tried to burn down a cinema ( arson ) and left burn marks on the drapes with little spread.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 12:02 AM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the fire dept. called to say they want to do a couple more tests before they take action (Good call, Gordon. Sounds like you may be right). I’d like to think they were dissuaded by my calm, cool demeanor . . . but I’m afraid I was a little stressed when the stuff caught fire and almost fried the nice fire inspector’s hand (then we got the finish the inspection!). . . So, this is looking like latitude on their part. My first task is to make double damn sure this is, in fact, as Soundfold product. I was contacted privately that there are other fabric products that are generically referred to as “Soundfold” -- so, I’ll edit my first post and apologize 10,000 times if this turns out to be other than Soundfold. Note to self, don’t post brand names until absolutely sure (like asking if a woman is pregnant). So, at this time, I think I have the weekend before they shut me down for having this dangerous “wall covering” up. And Gordon, I mentioned Rosco to my local fire prevention company who does my extinguishers and I have some one the way -- so if I get nailed, it might just be a short-term problem (and if it turns out by some miracle that this stuff passes, I'm going to treat it anyway). I’m opening “The Endurance,” so I’m hoping my luck holds. Thanks for all your replies – public and private.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-31-2002 06:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch out on applying fire treatments. I have found that it will often corrode anything it touches...say your surround speaker brackets! Keep it off the metal stuff.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-31-2002 08:34 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Art Sickels the CEO of Soundfold has personally sued companies saying they where suppling Soundfold, when it was not......The chemically applied flameproofing is either sprayed or if the fabric is sewn ( which is usually not the case with Soundfold ) the chemical can be applied by soaking....the chemical does corrode metal which is why Soundfold brackets are galvanized and they usually supply inherently flameproof fabric. The chemical spray / soak process may alter color and may change feel and weight of fabric. Rosco has flameproofing chemicals which are usually used for stage drapery. What type of fabic ( burlap / lenox or other ) are you using?
Richard Fowler
TV_Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2002 11:41 AM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard;
I tried emailing you privately, but my ISPs mail server is down. Basically, I KNOW my supplier would never knowingly sell me a mislabeled product. I've been buying from him for years and he has never done anything that even remotely resembled dishonest. I spoke to Tony at Soundfold and he agreed to let me find out what's going on and understands the first priority is keeping my doors open – everything else will sort itself out. He feels this may not be their product, but is still doing what he can -- which speaks volumes about the company.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: