Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Paying .5% of gross to Music rights assoc. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Paying .5% of gross to Music rights assoc.
Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 07:59 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In australia APRA (Australian Performing Rights Assoc.) asks for a % of box office for the music used in films. What other countrys have to pay that? On top of the usual 50+% to distributors. I thought music rights were paid for by the Film company.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-29-2002 09:37 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the first time I ever heard that one happening......

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 09:46 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could maybe understand them wanting some money for music played in the theater before and after any films, but I can't imagine the theater having to pay for music used in the films. In the US, technically, royalties should be paid for music played in a theaterbefore and after the show, but I would guess that very few theaters actually pay them. I would assume that theaters using any sort of music subscription service, movietunes for example, have those fees built into the subscription.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 10:25 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, they sent me a letter saying the exact same thing.

Apparently films pay for/ask permission to use music.
This is their way of getting paid.

It all seems a bit suspect to me, however Hoyts pay them so I don't see how a wee guy like myself can stand up to them.

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 10:55 PM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seams like they have ony bothered to approach a few of the indies. we must be the Unlucky ones

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-29-2002 11:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully, we don't have to deal with this in the US. The film producer has already (presumably) paid for the music rights for the movie and this includes the rights for the theatres to show the films and reproduce the music in them (as I understand things).

The only reason why a US theatre would want to purchase an ASCAP license would be if they wanted to play ASCAP-labelled non-sync music. Someone who has gone through the process will probably comment here, but I believe that they have flat-rate fees based on the size of the theatre.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 11:49 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, I smell a scam. Contact an attorney and get an opinion. If it is true, it might be time to lobby your government to outlaw the practice. It amounts to "double dipping" and a violation of the contract you sign for film rental.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2002 10:24 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We pay APRA a yearly fee, which allows us to play any music on the premises, i forget how much?.
Kevin , do you pay that as well OR was this just so you can play each films soundtrack?.
I have not heard of this one before??.
If one cinema is being made to pay this, then all cinemas should!

Paul Cassidy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Paul Cassidy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Cassidy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes they used to bother me with this and they had been trying the same with any public performance of music , in Take Away Food Stores even back ground music in Malls etc.maybe even Buskers

------------------
A KIWI eats,roots & Leaves.

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two groups
APRA, And the other one: PPCA who charges for all background music royaltys for any business

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-31-2002 11:28 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suposedly that is one purpose of the otherwise-useless MovieTunes...you can play those disks without incurring any royalty. So if you are getting hassled to get an ASCAP or BMI license, play Movietunes (until the heat's off, of course! )

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2002 03:39 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PRS, The Performing Rights Society, in the UK charge us an annual fee for the use of copyright music in the theatres and throughout the rest of the museum.

they also charge hairdressers ,shops, factories etc a fee for playing the radio in their salons,also copyright music "on hold" .

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2002 03:21 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a tad confused by the original post. Are you paying for the music that is part of the movie soundtrack, ie the stuff that is read off the film or the DTS discs and played with the movie, or are you paying for lobby and intermission music? If it is the later, yeah, at least by US law you've gotta pay. If it is the former-either you're being 'shaked down' or Australian copyright law is insanely screwed up. If the music is part of a movies sound you shouldn't have to pay a dime. The film company has presumably already payed this. Your booking contract gives you the right to play the movie-that includes picture and sound-in exchange for the fee you pay the distributor.

It sounds to me like the APRA is 'double dipping' as one poster put it.

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2002 04:59 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
APRA wants a % of box office for the music used in the films that (I pay the distributors for). APRA say they will send a list of films that they don't represent the music rights for. They have never sent me a list though.
As written in a previous comment--Hoyts & (GREATER UNION) say that they pay APRA (AUSTRALIAN PERFORMING RIGHTS ASSOC.)so where do small indies stand?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2002 01:27 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said before I have no idea how Australian copyright law works so I might be completely off here but that sounds like a load of BS (from the ARPA, not you). It makes absolutely no sense. Unless another Aussie contradicts (somehow I think this is likely) I'd recomend you contact a lawyer who specializes in copyright law and ask them for their advice.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: