Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » COCONUT OIL or not coconut oil (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: COCONUT OIL or not coconut oil
Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 04:24 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For health reasons I thought POP WISE Monosaturated oil might be more popular for popcorn. Any one use it? How does it compare?
Popcorn cooked in coconut oil is said to be worse than 4 big macks, for weight gain etc. that cant be good.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 09:41 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coconut oil was singled out by a large "PIRG" (public interest research group) in the U.S. as being an oil worse than motor oil. Many of the claims made were conveniently politically correct and canola industry oriented.

Healthwise, a large segement of my diet for twenty years was popcorn fried in coconut oil, with a chaser of coca-cola. I have no plaque build-up and the scans to prove it. I've become more and more convinced that a lot of the problems ascribed to oils are in fact problems caused by diets low in magnesium and other minerals. Most people are inundated with information claiming that a lot of calcium is needed, without being told the "rest of the story" that it must be taken in balance with magnesium. Too much calcium and too little magnesium can encourage plaque and a host of other health problems.

Here is a link that just begins to unravel the lies and half truths that promoted the change to canola. Give it a few more years and I suspect there will be a scandal uncovered in how the PIRGs were secretly industry guided and not "public interest" except in a surface sense.

Geoffrey Weiss
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 11:07 AM      Profile for Geoffrey Weiss   Email Geoffrey Weiss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the coconut oil controversy ...

The Center for Science in the Public Interest has stirred up publicity with bad science on more than one occassion. At our theatre during the coconut oil controversy, people began asking and we proudly told them that we popped in a blend of coconut & corn oil (Snack Chief brand, I believe). Of course, many were horrified, but we kept our reputation as having "the best popcorn in Louisville."

Finally Boxoffice magazine published a refutation of the whole canola-oil-is-healthier press release from the CFSIPI. Didn't convince some of our patrons until we pointed to our manager, who had lost forty pounds and not diminished his popcorn intake at all.

We finally just told people that if occassional movie popcorn did their arteries any damage, they were getting way too much fat from other sources.

As for myself, give me coconut oil taste or nothing (hold the buttery topping, which really is bad for you). Canola-oil-popped popcorn tastes like styrofoam packing material.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 11:39 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coconut Oil!! You are at a movie theatre and want the best tasting thing available. It would be like going to a baseball game where they only sold vegetarian hot dogs if movie theatres didnt pop with the best tasting oil available.

------------------
Adam Fraser www.pinestheatre.com

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 12:09 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, Regal recently switched from ??? to coconut oil a few months ago. I think it tastes better. I have no idea what my new theater uses, but it's even tastier! Don't know why Regal switched. Anyone know?

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 06:41 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my previous theatre (before I was promoted) I talked our Concession Director into letting me change from Orville Redenbacher Popcorn and Canola Oil to White Popcorn and Coconut oil (We also added seasonings for the customers to use like Parmesan cheese (not very popular), Ranch powder (somewhat popular), Tobassco Sauce (suprisingly very popular), garlic salt (so so), and Brewers Yeast (Hugely popular). My sales and per cap went up a great deal, and even though it was over a year ago this happened, when we last spoke in person a couple of months ago he told me that he is still getting positive comment cards about how the theatre's popcorn is the best in the city. Coconut is a pain in the butt to use though, since you will need a melting wand, and a hairdryer to melt your oil lines, but the quality is so much better than Canola.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-23-2002 07:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coconut oil until the next big public scare about its health issues. Then canola oil for a while to falsely placate the health-conscious segment of customers. Then back to coconut after the dust settles (or the plaque hardens).

(Actually I like popcorn popped in canola oil. We had a commercial popcorn popper at Dynamix, and we tried both coconut "oil" and canola oil, and most people preferred canola. It seemed like the popcorn popped more uniformly in canola too).

Brewer's yeast is great! More theaters need to offer it.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 07:52 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John -

Is White popcorn a brand name or a color, because as far as I knew, all popcorn is white, it's just the color of the oil that differs. You won't need a hair dryer if you drain your tube when done popping. This can be done easily by keeping the line straight and the pail or BIB low so the oil runs back down after it pumps (and doesn't sit in a bend), or simply disconnect the line and drain into a cup when all done for the day. As for the initial heating, coconut oil seems to like to go liquid right around 85 degrees I think. Rather than relying solely on a wand, if you have a small room you can keep at 90 or 95 degrees, store your oil in there and it'll be ready to go right when you need it. Regardless of the method, coconut oil is well worth it, fatty or not. What gets me is when people order a large, extra butter popcorn with a large diet coke.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-24-2002 01:19 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only does coconut taste better, it performs better in the kettle
Even when it is over heated and smokes the flavor doesn't change. We use Nakspop butter flavored in premeasured pouches, it is semisolid and squeezes out. We have been cited several times for the best theatre popcorn in town. The customers like to douse themselves with Flavocol, Healthful? not a chance, but they come back for more and an extra large drink too.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2002 01:20 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there is a slight difference in seed between White Popcorn seed (its not a brand) and regular popcorn seed. White Popcorn seed pops pure white (and when its cooking smells like real corn on the cob) while regular popcorn seed has a more grainy smell when cooking and once popped has a more beigeish color when placed next to the popped white corn.

Yes the yellow coloring comes from the oil (if you still want yellow corn with coconut oil, get the red colored coconut oil)

As for the hairdryer, we had issues with how our pump was installed (You can get coconut oil in BIB?) and it had to have bends in it therefore we needed the hairdryer at the start of business a couple of days out of the week. We had a heated pump so we only needed the wand for the new cans. Unfortunately we didn't have a room we could keep at 85-90 so that there was no need for the wand.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-24-2002 03:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes coconut oil does come in BIB. Back in my days of playing manager we converted from having to use those horrid "heat sticks" to the BIB. We found that so long as we kept the warmer stand on 24/7 we never had to use a hairdryer or portable heater to get things running. The oil was always ready to go. Meanwhile on busy weekends when the 4 stack heater in the kitchen just wasn't enough to keep the oil melted before use, we found that setting some boxes on the electrical transformer in the booth worked magnificently! It worked great for keeping those pizzas hot for staff parties too.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2002 06:34 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use canola oil at our cinema.
I was wondering how much oil is generally used to cook a pan of popcorn?.
When i came to my current location they used one cup of oil to cook one cup of popcorn seed?, after a year and many complaints they cut it down to half a cup of oil, recently after (still) many complaints we decided something must be done and now we use only a teaspoon-tablespoon of oil and it now tastes quite nice. A common complaint was that it tasted fishy?.
So to restate the question, how much oil is reqiured to cook good popcorn?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-24-2002 09:24 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well its coconut oil for me I dislike the taste of canola
Also I like peanut oil for popping. Until the increase in alergies coloured and seasoned peanut oil was a popular oil.
There is still one local theatre that advertises they use peanut oil

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2002 09:36 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad -
I'm glad you mentioned the electrical transformer, because that's the same place we keep ours next to. We have a small room with one in it and it stays right at 90 degrees in there. Although we have 50 lb pails, I have heard the BIB are easier to deal with overall. The nice thing with pails is, you're never short of metal buckets to use for whatever.

Brad - it tastes fishy because it's canola oil. Probably smells like a big ol' fish fry is going on too. The popper you use should tell you how much oil to use, but on our 48 oz. kettle, we use 16 oz. of oil.

Incidentally, the mall right next to our theatre just had a new popcorn machine put in it, and I couldn't be happier. It's fully automated. You put in a dollar and watch as it air pops the corn which then flies through some clear tubes into a tub for you. You can add butter topping and salt if you want. The presentation is pretty cool, but it tastes like absolute dog shit, which just makes our product more desirable.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2002 10:38 AM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Haven, one cup of oil to one cup of seed, and canola to top it off? Popcorn done wrong!
Fishy tasting canola oil is oil that has started to go rancid. Processors now hydrogenate the oil to prevent this, losing any of the purported health benefits of the oil in the process.

The correct oil/seed ratio has to do with seed type, popout, burning, and speed. The idea is to maximize the expansion of the corn and keep the cooking time short enough so that the corn doesn't burn. In a 20oz charge of corn, start with 6oz of oil as a beginning point. Once the kettle has been in use for a while, you can fine tune to get a more exact ratio.

After doing a lot of research, I firmly believe all theatres should dump canola. It was foisted upon our industry and the characteristics and smoke point are unsuitable for use in popping corn. Coconut and peanut oils are much more suitable. I've spoken out on this before in other threads.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: