Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "About a Boy" only opening in ONE theatre in my area.

Author Topic: "About a Boy" only opening in ONE theatre in my area.
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 03:18 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised that the movie "About a Boy" is only opening at one theatre in my area, the Regal Hollywood 18. We have three theatres in Huntsville, two of which are showing Star Wars II. Typically, between the Regal Madison Square 12 and Carmike 10, everything shown at the Regal Hollywood 18 is shown at these two theatres, plus more, since Madison Square 12 and Carmike 10 do not show the same movies.

Neither of the two 8-screen Decatur, AL theatres are getting "About a Boy", either.

Since this movie got good reviews, I can't imagine why one of the theatres not showing "Star Wars II" didn't pick it up. I really don't want to see it at Hollywood 18 since they only have 6 screens capable of showing "scope" without cropping it to 1.85:1 (they'll have Star Wars II and Spiderman playing in all those large ones) and it seems my only other alternative is to go to Nashville or Birmingham. (Florence isn't getting it anywhere either). Is "About a Boy" just not expected to do as well as all of the old movies the theatres have been running, so it isn't opening anywhere except the largest cities?

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans: About a Boy breaks today in 1,207 theaters per Box Office Mojo. Universal plans to add another 500-600 theaters next weekend. The idea is to build it into a hit the way Miramax did with Bridget Jones's Diary.

OTOH the Regal Madison Square 12 just picked up Y Tu Mama Tambien.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Nashville's Opry Mills 20 to see this movie since I was in Nashville last Saturday (review posted in the review forum). It appeared that Nashville had it in a lot of theatres. It was a very enjoyable movie. I still think it was nuts to not open it in more theatres, though.

------------------
Evans A Criswell

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 03:40 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consider yourself lucky, we don't even have a copy in a 100 mile radius, at least not until next week.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2002 11:17 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

When I saw Star Wars II at Regal River Oaks Cinema 8 in Decatur, I mentioned to the manager that I saw "About a Boy" in Nashville and he said his theatre was getting it next Friday. I guess either the Madison Square 12 or Carmike 10 in Huntsville will get it as well.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 08:20 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the movie you're referring to the love story about the priest?

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 09:23 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not about a priest. It's about a single guy who doesn't work who goes to a single parents' meeting to try to meet women. Never mind that he doesn't have a kid. He meets a woman who had a 12-year-old boy, and that's about as much as I want to say for fear of spoiling anything. Just go see the movie. It's great.

------------------
Evans A Criswell

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2002 07:25 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, apparently my attempt at humor didn't go over. Sorry Evans.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 09:36 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OK, apparently my attempt at humor didn't go over. Sorry Evans.

Oh, I get it now. Sorry.

I guess the reason I didn't get the humor until you brought it up and I thought you might have had the movie confused with another one, like "Keeping the Faith" or something.

------------------
Evans A Criswell

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 03:45 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm slow as hell I guess. A day later and I know get it.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2002 07:32 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they steal this plot from an old episode of Growing Pains. I remember an episode where Mike get his little sister Krissy to pretend to be a boy so that Mike can join a group of single parents in order to meet women.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: