Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Turnout for Star Wars Episode 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Turnout for Star Wars Episode 2
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 10:33 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my co-workers got dragged by his girlfriend to a midnight show at the AMC (ex-GCC) Lehigh Valley Mall in Allentown PA. From what he told me the image was good, the sound was horrible and the surrounds weren't working. Most of all, the midnight show did not sell out!

How is the Episode 2 turnout so far? Did your midnight shows sell out or not?

|  IP: Logged

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 11:16 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at our Huntington, WV theatre (Keith~Albee Theatre) last night for the midnight showing of Star Wars along with 1450 patrons. Although, not a sellout (1800 Seats) still a very good turnout. See Pic's Below:

Picture From Stage:

Picture of the Balcony:

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-16-2002 11:18 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
At 12:45am, our four largest auditoriums were sold out.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The midnight at our theater did not sell out. We had about 10 tickets left out of 210. Our sister theater, 30 minutes away, sold out within a few hours of opening. Thats particularly odd considering we regularly outsell them every weekend.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All screens showing last night sold out mid afternoon.

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-16-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a sell-out performance but I think most people here didn't realize it would be a Thursday opening. Tomorrow (Friday) will definitely have higher traffic.

Why was this a Thursday opening, anyway?

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2002 09:14 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our 12:01 shows were packed. People started arriving around 7:00, most dressed as their favorite character (we got one cantina band member). Today, however, is a different story. The first few shows only had about 20 people in them or so, but they increase later in the afternoon to about 50% sell by about 5:00. Even though I haven't been back since 5:00, I'm pretty sure the late shows are selling well (our last one is 11:05, bleh). Spiderman did the same thing, nobody in the morning (even hardcore fans have jobs) and increased almost exponentially around 5:00 on, to 500 foot lines an hour before the show started.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 01:28 AM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cripey! For the midnight showings we had a turnout of nearly 600 people... Yeah, that qualifies as sold out! I actually stayed downstairs helping out with the crowd control from 10:00 until about 11:50, then bolted upstairs to get the shows ready to roll!
And since then, we've sold out for nearly all of our showtimes. In fact, the only two SW showtimes that didn't sell out today were the 10:15AM & the 10:05PM shows! Whee!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 01:31 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We broke our record for attendance today at my twenty screen. We also sold out almost every show of EPII on all 6 screens!!! Our previous record was 12,467. I dont know our exact number for today but it was around 12,600 something.

------------------
--Sean McKinnon
Manager
Loews Cineplex Entertainment
Liberty Tree Mall 20
Danvers, Mass
www.enjoytheshow.com

Paul Rich
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 03:00 AM      Profile for Paul Rich   Email Paul Rich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, ep2 openned on a Thursday so it could open in as many countries on the same day as possible. In most countries, movies open on Thursday.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-19-2002 08:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Uptown has been at capacity for every show with the possible exception of the 8:30am shows but I believe they sold out too.

The popular show times are sold out days in advance.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-19-2002 10:56 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I saw yesterday, most or possibly all shows at Cinemark 17 here were selling out by showtime, including the 9AM round. On 4 screens (I previously said 3). The 4:15 show we were at was "sold out" but the front row remained empty. They seem to undersell.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2002 10:30 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yea it was really wierd. We have a pretty bad turnout on friday night, nothing came close to selling out. Saturday, all day, it was selling out in both our theatres(224,180). Then today, it did just ok. Our midnight showings we sold out though.

I think we were hurt by the fact that every theatre in the area was have special screenings, and that our local chain had 8 prints at one place, and 8 more at the other 30 min. away. We did well overall.

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-21-2002 10:14 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Manny, ep2 openned on a Thursday so it could open in as many countries on the same day as possible. In most countries, movies open on Thursday.<<

Actually, the real reason was that it was 25 years to the day (date) that the original (Later to be renamed Episode 4: A New Hope, although thankfully, not on MY 16mm scope version ) opened.

John

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 06:42 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Episode 2 is now on track to have a smaller box office total than the hated Episode 1!

That's with ticket price inflation and a supersaturation release taken into account.

Has the Episode 2 turnout held up -- or does Episode 2 show signs of the dreaded Second Weekend 50 Percent Drop?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: