Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New UK Website Campaigning for Subtitled Screenings

Author Topic: New UK Website Campaigning for Subtitled Screenings
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-14-2002 02:24 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Click Here

Note for non-UK readers: The Film Council, a report from which is referred to on the campaigners' website, is a recently-established government body set up to replace several others as a unified 'one stop shop' for directing public subsidy to the film and television industries. Its website can be found here.

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 02:32 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an email from this site the other day.

I'm all for it, I work quite a lot with deaf ppl, installing hearing assistance systems, not just in cinemas but theatres etc too.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-14-2002 10:09 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'd like to have subtitles on-screen if there were no deaf persons in the auditorium, so I hope they are proposing use of the dts subttitle/caption system (which can be employed on an as-needed basis).

I think all cinemas should have something like Phonic-Ear systems for the hard-of-hearing. That's a great system, IMHO.

I wouldn't want subtitles on the film itself.

Of course, the thing with the dts systems (descriptions/subtitles) is that the studios would have to agree to create the software, right?

I just don't see filmmakers holding up the release of a movie because "the handicap discs aren't ready yet."

And I like the idea of using government funding (lottery, etc) to subsidize it...although, I think that the cinemas and the distributors ought to contribute something, too.

------------------

~Manny.

Now...where was I ?
Leonard Shelby, MEMENTO.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-14-2002 11:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS has a system for closed-captioning which uses an LED display in the rear of the theatre, which displays a reverse image of the subtitles. Presumably deaf people can use little rear-view mirrors mounted on the seats to read the titles, while customers who don't need the titles will not be distracted by them. Apparently it works very well. Maybe Karen can comment on the cost and installation specifics. There's also a DTS system which has narration for the blind (kind of like what the SAP channel on stereo TV was supposed to provide), which can be played through headsets.

There's also a company in the US which distributes second-run films with subtitles printed on the film (the laser-burned titles, I think).

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-14-2002 05:23 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Tripod Captioned Films

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: