Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » 2-day priors for Ep II?

Author Topic: 2-day priors for Ep II?
John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-13-2002 04:03 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The grapevine over here suggests that a lot of [local] theatres are getting 2-day prior deliveries for Episode II (i.e. Tuesday). Is this widespread and does it represent a change from 1-day prior, or is it just a lucky few?

Just curious...

--jhawk

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-13-2002 04:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just for this movie. Same thing happened with Episode 1.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2002 12:45 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got EP II 2 days early, but not EP I (at the place I worked before). We got it about 6 hours before our midnight show! This could have been disastrous since we didn't get to screen the assembled print prior to the public!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-28-2002 01:17 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anslem said:

We got it about 6 hours before our midnight show! This could have been disastrous since we didn't get to screen the assembled print prior to the public!

Something is wrong here.....I never heard of anyone taking 6 hours to assemble a print in my 35 years in a booth. That print should have taken maybe 2 hours maximum to assemble. What happened to the other 4 hours? Was it sitting in the janitor's closet? Or do you have a projectionist that is "riding the clock?"

Many times I didn't get a print until two hours before showtime. I always met my schedule under those circumstances, even in a 10-plex I operated. There was no damage done to the film upon assembly, either.

The rule we basically used is if the print arrived 1.5 hours proir to show time, we would tell the customers that we might be a few minutes late on the start of the movie, especially if it was a 7 or 8 reeler.

If, for some reason, we saw a late start totally screwing up the schedule, we would cancel the first show. Fortunately, we didn't have too many squeeze plays that caused us to cancel.

DLP?.....the program has to be loaded in real time. That in itself could take 6 hours, so I have been told. If true, and you got the disks two hours before showtime, you lost most of your shows for that day.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2002 01:58 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the "Wiggles Movie" 20 mins before showtime.
Normally I run on a platter but this time I made up reels 1 & 2 with an intermission tag on 6000' onto the platter then shoved the final 3 reels after 1/2 time.
What didn't help was that all reels had the wrong leaders on.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2002 05:33 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, what probably happened, or at least what happened in our case, as we got our print about 5 hrs before the midnight show, was that there were no open screens to preview the built print. We had our normal nine-o-clock shows on screen until about 11:30. If it had arrived the night before, then theres all kinds of time after closing and before opening to run it down.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-28-2002 11:47 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, if this is what happened to Anslem, I'll stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-28-2002 02:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up here we don't preview prints revise them on the bench properly and run it

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 04:14 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh... if only i had a bench. Its make-up table straight to platter for me!

Actually, preview-time is usually the only time i get to watch the whole movie straight through, so i'm eager to stay up late. What else am I going to do, sleep?! But i find that previews are more to catch lab errors than my errors. "Dropped DTS during all of reel 4" can't be seen at the bench.

-Adam

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-29-2002 12:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, Bench - Smench!

That old table you have up there can do anything. I can always make a bigger top so you can set your Pepsi on it when you assemble your print.

BTW, how come I am always the last person to find out you have troubles with the equipment? I didn't think I was THAT grumpy!

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2002 04:28 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, If i could get a 6000' reel and a 2000' reel on it at the same time, all would be great. I put my pepsi on top of the other print thats playing, so it goes round-and-round. I find that I drink less when I can't reach it all the time. (Just kidding of course!)

This has gotten to be off topic... oh well. You're the first to know about problems when i'm working. I think everyone else is afraid of you, and your little dog too. ...course problems don't happen on my shift as often as the others... hmmm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: