Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » New to this forum thinking of purchasing a Cinema Cafe. Your thoughts

Author Topic: New to this forum thinking of purchasing a Cinema Cafe. Your thoughts
David Hine
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 07:37 PM      Profile for David Hine   Email David Hine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,
I was thinking of purchasing a 2 screen cinema seats about 150 people total and serves alcohol and food it is Fort Lauderdale 2 minutes from the beach. I know nothing about the cinema business other than the fact that home theater is a hobby of mine.
My question is are these type of businesses any good are they a fad?
And do you need to be experienced to run this type of business?
any other helpfull guidance all of you experts can offer would be apreciated?

Thank You

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-08-2002 07:51 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a Cinema grill or Dinner and a movie franchise. If so, Don't get involved. A friend of my cousins tried that here in my home town and got taken to the cleaners. A thing to remember in those type of establishments is that the food has to stand up to the publics standards. The movie is the side item

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 09:31 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I'm not familiar with the film market in Ft Lauderdale, but regardless of location, a Cinema Grill or whatever is an extremely ambitious undertaking, if only for the fact that you will be essentially running both a movie theatre and a restuarant. In addition to the business aspects of theatre operations, you'll have to deal with the normal restaurant headaches: health dept., extensive food preparation, supply and inventory management, staffing, alcohol control, and so on.

I won't immediately say that this is a bad idea, but there is certainly a lot that could go very wrong. What are the details of this establishment, and what sort of background do you have to operate it?

David Hine
Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 10:08 PM      Profile for David Hine   Email David Hine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no background in cinema but I have owned my own restaraunts for about 10 years, but not the same kind of menu the cinema has.
the Cinema Cafe has been there for 4 years grosses around $620,000 - 700,000 a year. He is selling it for $375,000
And it is not a franchise

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 10:20 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The location is a little south of the main activity, but might have potential. I know someone who could probably book it for you. Email me if you want to follow up on this.

Be sure to check for zoning, relationships with the city and police dept., parking, and neighborhood issues.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 10:56 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to contact F.T. member Mike Heenan about this topic. He is a projectionist at a dinner/art theatre.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 12:39 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I helped open a Cinema Grill a few years ago. It was a quite interesting experience. However - I don't think it lasted very long. A resturant/movie establishment is very difficult to run because people in the movie business and people in the resturant business do not think alike. The chocolate and the peanut butter in this case did not equal the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. This may have been unique to a certain location. However - from my vantage point - things were not doing very well.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2002 04:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The local Studio Movie Grills do VERY good business. They have a menu along the lines of your local Chili's with some extras as well as traditional concession items. Waiters (dressed in all black) serve you directly just like at a sit down restaurant. After they take your order, they give you a little drink coaster that has a small red led in it. When you want service, you flip it on and a server comes over to get you what you need. (Great should there be a projection problem, but that is quite rare for them.) If you keep your coaster light off, no one bothers you.

I don't have any official numbers, but they do very well and commonly sell out their auditoriums. In addition to running movies, they have a special events department that does specialized theater rentals, which work very well for everything from meetings to birthday parties. They are equipped with high end video projection and can put on any type of seminar AV need you might need. Plus, they have Dolby Digital in all auditoriums for their film presentations. It might be worth your time to take a trip to Dallas just to visit them and see how the operation works.

There are pictures in the warehouse here. Look for Studio Movie Grill Plano and Granada Movie Grill Prestonwood. The Granada Movie Grill has since been taken back over by the Studio guys and have done a LOT of upgrades to the projection booth since those pictures were taken. I'll get some updated pictures of the place at some point.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 01:51 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont just look at grosses, see what the owner paid himself and his employees. Did the guy make a living wage? How was the bottom line on the balance sheet? These are some factors to look at if you want to do this as your sole business?
Also, it does take a while to learn to use 35mm projection equipment, so try to become friends with either the owner or projectionist and have them tech you the proper way to use things.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 05:08 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me food service and film exhibition are both high competition, high risk enterprizes, but need not be "fraught with imminant peril." Combining them might either augument or minimize risk.

Your key personnel would be your chef, your projectionist and your film booker. Customers, once attracted by curiosity, would need a fine dining experience, a fine menu of films, and an excellent projected presentation. Since you have experience in running a restaurant, but none in motion pictures, I would strongly recommend hiring a professional projectionist who would maintain and upgrade projection equipment, assemble custom-tailored film programs, and project them with the highest standards of image and sound showmanship. As you would not try penny-pinching the kitchen staff, entrusting food prep to a low-wage hash-slinger instead of a qualified, imaginative chef, so would you not want to entrust your
valuable presentations and equipment to cheap unqualified labor. For as a poor chef could ruin the menu and drive away or sicken your patrons, so too could a non-professional projectionist ruin films, cause breakdowns of expensive machinery, and have patrons demanding their money back before they leave, never to return. Though you could in time learn the projectionist vocation, you would not want to be confined to the booth any more than you would want to be chained to the oven when you are needed to supervise the entire operation.
(I recommend you read the thread "The Death of Film" in the Film-Handler's Forum.)

Although Florida is a so-called "right to work" [read: anti-union]
state, the I.A.T.S.E. has offices and business agents throughout the state who could supply trained, experienced vocational projectionists worth their higher wages. The Union would undertake responsibility for providing qualified replacements in case of vacations, sickness or emergencies, ensuring that the show will always go on. Here's a list of secretaries and business agents throughout Florida:
http://www.iatse.lm.com/fldir.html
Best wishes to you, whatever you decide.
Gerard

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: