Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Radiant Troubleshooting Help

Author Topic: Radiant Troubleshooting Help
Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 03:17 AM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continued from the thread "Ready Theatre Systems".

Sean, it's been some time since I've used Radiant, but this is what I remember. When was the last time the theatre received a CD from Radiant? If it has been well over a year you can try callling (800-44-PRYSM) and getting them to send one, but you may have to go through your theatre chains home office. The latest version is very stable.

If you're have problems with credit card verification, it is more then likely a problem with the modem. They had a few back-office servers that the internal modem they used had problems establishing a connection - causing delays and time-outs on credit cards. If this is the case contact them, inform them of the problem, and get them to send you the external modem (usually a USRobotics or 3com). When you receive the modem you give them a call, and they can walk you through the process.

Problems with kiosks generally are either out of date software (again call Radiant), or they just need to be rebooted - unplug, then plug back in. Do not do this with the power cord from the computer (silver box behind the touch screen), doing so can cause the kiosk to appear "dead" when the plug is reinserted.

Steven Gorsky

|  IP: Logged

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 10:40 PM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre chain uses Radiant too. As far as their kiosks go, 9 times out of 10 I've found the problem is ticket paper that falls out of the printer after a sale. Since the printer goes offline, the entire node stops responding. Usually reloading the paper does the trick, occasionally you need a full reboot.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 11:32 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radiant sux.

CCMAN is the worst credit card program ever written.

I've got an old automaticket machine in my garage I can sell ya.....

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 12:43 AM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, I use to work for the same chain you currently do. If this is happening with a new install it is more then likely the modem as I mentioned above - dialing-up does take time, but the external modem will help.

A few months before I left we had been having problems and were sent an external modem. Do to some other issues we eventually got a new back-office server, and set it up with the internal modem - the problems with CCMAN returned. After talking to Radiant they still were having problems with the internal modem, and had me install the external one on the new server. The problems once again vanished.

If Radiant won't send you an external modem, talk to Tom B. at the home office at see if he can get something done.

Steven Gorsky

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 12:47 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radiant is replacing CCMAN in 5.2 with a new program. Darn, I can't remember the name.... Starts with an E and apparently its much more stable and can be satalite based instead of dialup, and handle multiple transactions at the same time.

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 01:43 AM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered something else that had been a problem - CCMAN was configured wrong, it was set to use really slow transfer speeds. Some of this stuff I used to be able to correct myself, but it has been awhile.

I don't see how satellite would help - there is so much latency dial-up could seem faster. I believe CCMAN will process more then one transaction at a time - it only disconnects if the is nothing in it's queue.

I must admit something I forgot to mention, at the paticular theatre I was at we did not take credit cards at concession - only at box. Box office consisted of 4 stations and 2 kiosks, so it is possible that with the load of concession CCMAN becomes a problem.

Steven Gorsky

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 02:49 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually CCMAN will only process one transaction at a time. From our tests, CC transactions on dialup take an average of 15 seconds to process. Switching over to satalite the transactions have dropped to 3-4 seconds.

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 06:25 PM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should clarify that I didn't mean CCMAN processes cards simultaneously, but consecutively until its' queue is empty. So say I'm at station #1 and run a card through. Then stations #3, 4, and a kiosk run cards though. CCMAN will dial-up (taking several seconds) then process the info for stations #1, 3, 4, and the kiosk before disconnecting. Most of the time is wasted on the modem dialing because there is not much information that gets transferred.

I have no personal experience with the satellite, so I have no idea how it works. I do know that in general there are delays because your sending the information up to an orbiting satellite, then it comes back down to the receiving station. This is why it would still take a few seconds to process instead of being closer to instantaneous.

Steven Gorsky

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 12:27 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have worked with Pacer, Splyce, Radiant, ATS, and hard tickets. Every system has it's negative aspects. However - Radiant uses proprietary software - meaning they write all thier own stuff. CCMAN is the worst credit card program ever written. It is the YUGO of the credit card programs. But if you buy Radiant's stuff you have to use their programs. With all the others - you can use whatever credit card program you want (pretty much).

As far as Radiant in general is concerned - their software works. Hell, it was written by theatre managers.However, Radiant is coming up on their downhill ride. The new credit card program that Radiant has come up with is extremely expensive to the chains that currently use thier stuff. Most chains are getting out of their agreements with Radiant because of the above reason. A lot of chains are using other theatre management programs. I have the new version of Pacer's program in this new theatre right now - which is a switch from the other locations using Radiant.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: