Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Star Wars Episode 2: Midnight shows or not? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 2: Midnight shows or not?
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 07:06 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many theaters had midnight shows for Star Wars Episode 1 when it opened 5/19/1999. However, some of those theaters will not have midnight shows when Episode 2 opens 5/16/2002. Why not?

After the World Trade Center went down many malls and theaters put additional security measures into place. These venues see a midnight opening of Episode 2 as an inviting target for an attack -- and not of any clones.

The AMC Bridgewater Commons 7 had a midnight show for Episode 1 (as a GCC) but will not have a midnight show for Episode 2. Any other theaters in a similar situation?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-06-2002 07:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's just stupid reasoning for not running midnight shows. If terrorists are going to go after a theater, they will do it on the evening round opening night of Episode II. That way they can kill more people that are watching other movies as well as the lines waiting to get into the 10:00 round.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-06-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't quite understand the logic either. Grauman's Chinese is prominently advertising a midnight show of Ep2 and that's about as high-profile a public location as any.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 08:21 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think many of the theaters will have midnight shows this time around again. There is way too much money to be made for the majority to pass them up. I agree with Brad that if terrorists wanted to get a theater, they would do it on a Friday evening when many theaters in a multiplex are crowded.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 10:05 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre will run midnight shows for however many prints we receive. (This point is still up in the air.)

Don't even know how the DLP is going to settle out because of Foxs' demands on placements.

Paul.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 01:09 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the word that we will have midnight shows. We are booking three prints, so it should be interesting to see what developes, since we hadn't opened when EP I came out. And, yes, we are in a mall.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 01:22 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will have late shows (against my will) for EP2. I've not heard the public interest to support such shows, but hey, what do I know.... I'm the same one who thought Spidy would do so-so at the box office... LOL.
We are not even officially slated to open a SINGLE print yet due to ludicrous terms. Hopefully, I'll know more later as to which direction we take. Personally, I say we balk his/their terms and skip the print. Then again, what do I know?

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 02:20 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Central Ohio theatres are advertising tickets on sale for 12:01 shows. AMC hasn't weighed in yet.

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 03:27 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been told that I will be running a 12:01ish AM show of Attack of the Clones on 5/16. Which is fine with me, provided that both of my prints show up on Tuesday, and can be built & screened before they're shown to the public. It's not that I am concerned about making any 'mistakes' while I build the prints, my concern would be that I'd end up cussing out someone on the "management team" (as I was tempted to do when I was building three prints of Harry Potter). Whenever there is an issue of having a print ready by a certain time, there is one person at my theater (who, by the way, knows very little about the booth ), that seems to feel that it is their duty to constantly invade my work enviroment and check on where I am in the whole process, and proceed to tell me what I ought to be doing. ...I work better without such misguided interruptions!

...Maybe I'll just stuff a film can full of trailers, and keep it handy to drop on the toes of anyone who tries to interfere...

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 04:04 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gracia,
Rest assured that the depots will be delivering all prints for Thursday openers on WED. regardless of the fact that the late show(s) that may be held. They don't seem to care about build quality and I often wonder if they think the magic build-up fairy just "makes it all better"....

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 04:42 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that EP1 prints came in on Monday for the Thursday? release.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 05:07 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would any theatre owner voluntarily run any extra shows the first week of something? All you do is make it more likely you will hit the 90/10 figure and thus pay even more film rental on the whole weeks's engagement to the film distributor.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-07-2002 06:03 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Episode1 opened on a Wednesday. According to the service that delivers our prints, they will be coming sometime on tuesday night.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2002 06:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yea...a midnight show. I could get some sleep during that.
Mark

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2002 12:08 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We will be running midnights.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: