Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pictures: ArcLight, Cinerama Dome, Kodak Theatre, etc.

Author Topic: Pictures: ArcLight, Cinerama Dome, Kodak Theatre, etc.
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-06-2002 03:44 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested in pics of these newer theatres, Click here

Some of this may eventually end up on CinemaTour.com (or Film-Tech if you're interested Brad, though I know most of this stuff doesn't quite fit F-T's charter). For now I have it on a quickie web page.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 03:52 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Great pics! I didn't know there were theaters like that anymore.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-06-2002 09:48 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid question:

Is ArcLight part of the Pacific chain, or did Pacific change its name?

-Aaron

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 10:01 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pacific is still Pacific. This is a special new division of Pacific. The snipe before the main feature is for Arclight. Several comments from my visit Sunday. Apparently, you can't specify a seat. I tried to, but she wouldnt do it, saying I could only choose between main floor and balcony (for the Dome).

Also, the BRAND NEW printo of SPIDERMAN had several black scratches running throughout the film on the right side of the screen, so the scratches mentioned on the print of THE ROOKIE may have come from this theatre.

The bar may be opened to anyone, since before the screening the announcer welcomed all patrons to visit the lobby next door to visit cafe and bar. I didnt see anyone using those facilities, though. Something tells me this concept won't last long. Even by 2pm, there were NO announced sell-outs for Spiderman (or any other movie).

I WILL say the picture, though much larger than it used to be for 35mm flat, was VERY well focused and very bright. The bowing effect, while present, didnt seem as great as before the remodeling, although the crossreflections were there, but not really bothersome. The Sound was superb (supposedly 8-channel SDDS) but I could detect no sound coming from the surrounds.

David, too bad you couldnt check out the interiors of the Mann Chinese 6. These are beautiful new theatres with pristine projection and sound (without the higher prices). Waterfall curtains, oversized comfortable seating, beautiful projection and sound. And the main Chinese has been upgraded as well, with a larger screen and better accoustics, new rocking chair seats, etc.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-06-2002 10:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if the new Chinese theaters are similar to the Chinese theater Mann built in Colorado. Pretty good stuff. Do you know what equipment they use? We NEED interior pictures for the warehouse. Why has not anyone provided any yet? I offer a quarter to the first person who does!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-07-2002 02:01 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Dave--no pictures of the Egyptian? It's only a couple of blocks east of the El Cap. A neat place and home to the American Cinematheque. Oh well, next visit...

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-07-2002 02:30 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do know that the 'big' house at the Chinese has a pair of Norelco AAIIs... I would assume that the other five have similar arrangements as all six of them are 70mm-capable.

The El Cap has 2 Century JJs, an AW3, and a DLP, all of which are in a ground-level booth.

-Aaron

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-07-2002 10:32 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing ArcLight needs to do is fix the acoustics. The echo problem in the auditorium I saw "The Rookie" in is inexcusable. They also need to find out how the prints are getting scratched and take care of that problem.

I was there on a Weds. around noon, and the place was a ghost town. There were 3 people in The Rookie including me. Maybe 25 in Lord of the Rings at the Dome. I asked an employee at ArcLight how business was and he said they sold 3000 tickets the previous weekend, "best weekend so far". Seems kind of thin for that many screens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: