Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Spider-Man vs. Star Wars Episode II (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Spider-Man vs. Star Wars Episode II
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-06-2002 01:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time for another Film-Tech poll!

In the past, Film-techers have correctly predicted several blockbuster matchups (Shrek vs. Atlantis; 102 Dalmatians vs. The Grinch; and a couple of others I can't remember) and with Spidey's big opening weekend, the question must be asked:

Can STAR WARS 2 top this opening?

And which will be the bigger grosser overall?

Let the predictions begin!

I predict that Spidey will keep the opening weekend record, but Episode II will stand taller at the end of the game.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-06-2002 01:42 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars 2 will not break the record, but will do more business overall. After the dissapointment that was felt, you know, the bad aftertaste, of EP ONE, people will not flock like they did last time. I think most exhibitors with the great reviews and good performances of Spideyman, will not rush to dump those screens in favor of a movie that may or may not do as well. Especially with the kind of terms that georgy wants.

MOst, myself included, will wait on EP 2.

Dave

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 02:24 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Episode II had a three-day opening weekend, I think that Spidey would win out. However, Star Wars has a four-day opening weekend, so I think it will make more in the four days than Spiderman did in three, but it isn't a fair comparison.

I am not too certain about the following, but I think that Spidey will gross a bit more in the end, but it will be close. Those are my predictions.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-06-2002 03:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Spiderman will keep the opening weekend record. I haven't heard a peep from the *loyal* Star Wars fanatics.

I'm going to wait and see how much screen time Jar Jar has in Episode II before making my prediction on which movie will do more money in the end. If he has less than 10 minutes worth of screen time, Episode II will definitely make more overall. More than 10 minutes? Hmmmmm, it depends on how much he keeps his mouth shut and how many things he has to trip over.

Nathan Guerriero
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 04:30 PM      Profile for Nathan Guerriero   Email Nathan Guerriero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Having now seen both films, I would guess that Spiderman will outgross Episode II. Jar Jar does indeed have less than ten minutes of screen time, but nevertheless I estimate the domestic summer gross for Episode II at 250 million. I put Spiderman somewhere closer to 275 million.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 06:42 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spider-Man will keep its opening record AND do better overall. Why?

• Many theaters that had midnight shows for Star Wars Episode 1 will not have midnight shows for Episode 2. That's due to security measures put into place after 9/11.

• Loews doesn't play Fox product in Manhattan. No Star Wars at the Loews Lincoln Square or Loews Kips Bay!

Joe B: Episode 2 has a 4-day opening weekend -- in Canada.

• Joe Beres
    Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 07:01 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    I believe it opens on Thursday, May 16 in the US, same as in Canada. Am I wrong?

Charles Everett
    Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 07:09 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Joe B: Canada has a Monday holiday in Victoria Day (5/20). A Thursday opening is not a four-day weekend opening unless that Thursday is Xmas Day.

Joe Beres
    Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 07:16 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    So does that mean that the Thursday grosses will not be included in the Weekend totals? I had no idea. If I am understanding you correctly, then thanks for clearing that up.

Darryl Spicer
    Film God

- posted 05-06-2002 09:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    The way it works is Like Charlse said. If Thursday was the Forth of July then the groses would cover Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. But, since the opening day is not a holiday, The grosses follow a three day Friday Saturday and Sunday Weekend Gross total withe the Thursday included in the First weeks take.

Aaron Sisemore
    Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-06-2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Hopefully this doesn't constitute a 'spoiler':

Mr. Binks has less than 10 minutes total screen time and virtually nothing that comes from his computer-generated mouth this time around is for 'comic' purposes.

It is NOT Jar-Jar that provides the 'comic relief' in Ep. II.

-Aaron

David Rowley
    Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 02:04 AM      Profile for David Rowley   Email David Rowley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    My prediction is that Star Wars edges out Spiderman for the larger gross, but that Star Wars does not break the one day record, fastest $100 million record, or best opening weekend record.

My reasoning:

I was a little disappointed with Spiderman. Some great action, a story that was true to the comic, but I found that there was just too much focus on the romance for my taste. I love Sam Raimi's style, but I'm not sure I understand why he choose to emphasis that aspect as much as he did. He's an comic book action hero...and for that reason, I don't think Spiderman will get as much return business. I know I will see it one more time (I need to take the wife with me this time), but that will most likely be it until it comes out on DVD. I enjoyed it, but not enough to fork out $13.50 again, and I suspect that many other fans felt this way too.

If the online reviews I've read about AOTC is correct, then Star Wars fans are going to really enjoy this one. That means a lot of return business, but I think that many will hold off until word gets around that it isn't just a 2 and a half hour kid's movie. It will have a slower opening week, but stronger life.

Or I could be completely wrong!

Brad Miller
    Administrator

- posted 05-07-2002 02:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
    Aaron, are you implying that there is a new creature that will provide the "comedy" that will ruin Episode II the way the Ewoks and Jar Jar did to the last two?

(My opinion here)

David Favel
    Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 04:34 AM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Last week Ep 2 tickets went on sale.

Hoyts mase a big deal how tickets were on sale 9.00am Thursday.

One sad, lonely, pathetic loser spent the night camped out in front of the doors only to be beaten to buy the first tickets by someone who came in off the street and the opposite door was opened first.

I will be running Spiderman when it opens in New Zealand.

I can wait a while for Star Wars.

Aaron Sisemore
    Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-07-2002 09:33 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Brad:

No 'new' creature, just an 'old droid'...

It's C3PO that provides the bulk of the 'laughs' in this one.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
    This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To: