Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Seating of Patrons (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Seating of Patrons
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-04-2002 06:21 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a scenario that was brought to my attention today. The manager asked me what I thought of the idea of telling people to move to different seats for Spiderman because the auditorium was getting full, and she could not guarantee the couples seating together.

I personally thought it was a bad idea for anyone to go into the auditorium and ask people to scrunch up so other couples could be seated together for several reasons.

1. People are buying tickets to see the movie, and they are entitled to sit wherever they so desire.

2. People resent being shuffled around like a herd of cows.

3. Some people would feel there “space” is violated.

What is your opinion?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2002 06:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to ask people to "compress," but if we are nearing sellout, I'll do it. People are generally understanding. We have a lot of customers who drive 30 - 40 miles from outlying towns and it just isn't worth the bad PR to turn them away if we can possibly get them in.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-04-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark here does this fairly often. An usher will ask for everyone's attention and say something like this: "Ladies and gentlemen, as you can see this show is going to be very full, and we would like to help everyone get the best seats possible. Please look to your left and your right and note any single empty seats. If it looks like your party can shift 1 seat in either direction and make room for other couples sit together to see the movie, please help us out by doing so. Thank you!" They then watch to see what happens and offer additional encouragement to get people to shift seats. Most people are very cooperative if you *ask* for their help. It also helps if the usher making the speech is "personable" and upbeat.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 08:25 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with David here, when we get to under 10% of the seats remaining I'll either send in an usher or go in myself and help with seating. In the years I have done this I have yet to have an occasion where when I've asked if someone would mind moving one seat in one direction or the other that I have had anyone refuse or get upset by the request. It all boils down to your customer service skills in my opinion.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with David's post the way that particular Cinemark theater is handling it. So long as the person who makes the announcement is polite and specifically asks the customer's to help instead of demanding it to get everyone a good seat, I've found it has never been a problem. Never a complaint.

Jeff Akin
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 08:37 PM      Profile for Jeff Akin   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Akin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something I've used in the past may be of some help as well. You will likely have patrons lined up outside the auditorium while the previous show is still running or being cleaned.
During this time, have a manager or an usher get the attention of the lined up crowd and say something along these lines:

"Ladies and gentlemen, as you can see, this show has just about sold out. When choosing your seats, please keep in mind that just about every seat in the theratre will be used. Go ahead and sit next to someone else to ensure that there will be seating for everyone. Thank you and enjoy the show."

I've also thought of throwing something along the lines of, "If we all work together, we can all get seated comfortably and the show will not be delayed to facilitate the seating of everyone."

Those dreaded words, "DELAY THE SHOW," will get them all working with you.

------------------
-----------
2 Time ICWF Champion

2 Time ICWF Hardcore Champion

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 09:00 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave recounted the exact proper way of doing this. The only thing I can add is that audiences used to appreciate a little humor with the suggestion that the couple(s) might not be on speaking terms after the film if they can't sit together. I might add that moving is not mandatory, but a courtesy to others.

In many cases, I would NOT move. Some theatres have good seats and bad seats. If I'm told to move to seat with a worn out pan, or asked to sit behind Ian just because Joe can't get his act together and get Brad to the show on time, my reaction is "Tough "

Early bird > worm. Ant and grasshopper.

I always informed latecomers that "Seats WILL be separated and/or towards the front, and there are NO refunds on the last tickets sold." Latecomers should be discouraged, not rewarded. I used to have more problems with people trying to "save" seats for non-existant friends. I'd check restrooms and then it was "Sorry, if you can't show me the ticket for the person, that seat next to you isn't yours."

Even with the problems, I still like open seating.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 09:02 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My view is this: If a couple wants to purchase four tickets to ensure elbow room, then they're more than welcome to do so. If not, however, they should expect that they will be sitting next to someone. Usually if you ask the couple if they could move in one direction or another to get two seats together, they appreciate the choice and will take the two better seats. I've actually had a guy refuse to move once, so i had to split a couple, one on either side of him. They kept passing their drinks and popcorn back and forth, over the middle guy. I can't see how this was better for him than moving one seat.

-adam

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-04-2002 09:07 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Jerry said, humor helps. That's what I meant by a "personable" usher. And yup, early birds may not like being asked to moved. If someone doesn't want to move, drop the issue and move on. Jeff's suggestion sounds good too: plant the "fill all the seats in" idea in people's heads before they enter the theater.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-04-2002 10:16 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK - it works for all of you...the proof is in the pudding. Thanks for your info, appreciate it.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2002 12:33 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We usually let people have open seating and will let a few seats go empty to ensure the comfort of our patrons.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2002 12:39 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all the previous posts. Asking (as noted before ASK is the key word) people to shift over one seat is rarely a big deal. In the several years I've been in this business not one customer has ever gotten upset with me over this.

I will add however that I would NEVER ask someone to move to a different row or from the side seating to the middle or vice versa. They showed up early so they get to pick where in the auditorium they watch the movie from. If ten people show up at the end of the trailers and want seats together it ain't gonna happen and I for one will NOT give them refunds.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-05-2002 02:02 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would always get up in front of the auditorium and make some snazzy little speech about how "I know y'all wanna keep that buffer zone between you and the guy next to you, but there's a long line of people outside that really want to see this movie, and I'm afraid if we don't get them through the door there might be a riot... so if you could help us all out and become better friends with the person sitting next to you, everything will turn out okay."

Usually people laughed at me - which was fine - it got the job done.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-05-2002 05:01 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would always try to use humor to get people to help out with this. I often would say "excuse me, may I have your attention. It is unfortunate that this has to happen, especially tonight with it bieng a sell out, however our print of tonights movie was accidentally left running and the projector melted it down.... no wait, it look like that our projectionist in the booth is signaling that we are going to be able to run it after all. WHew, thats a relief. Well now that I dont have to refund your money, could I get some help squeezing everyone in?"

Different variations, such as accidentally scheduling wet-t-shirt night or its four drink minimum night, depending on the movie, work very well to warm up a sold out crowd.

Dave

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2002 01:12 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to *try* the announcement concept. I have doled out more refunds/time swaps this wknd than I have ove the last few months combined!

Someone said tardiness should be discouraged, not rewarded. AMEN. But, what happens when you have 300+ people waiting in your lobby (at one time, of course) for the already sold out show? They all enter at teh same time, but seating is, at least in my chain, first come, first served. I always leave a moderate buffer zone in my sell out cap for situations like this, but there are invariably ALWAYS going to be folks who will not move, will not sit up front, will not seperate, etc... and sadly,it doesn't matter that I tell them that if they hold a ticket, there IS a seat for them. So, do I piss them off and not give them a refund? I find it to be, more often than not, a no win situation...

Then, the next morning you're explaining to your DM why you had so many refunds.. which many weren't actual CASH refunds, they are simply time swaps.... I feel the beginning of a huge rant, so I'll stop now...

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: