Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » More Star Wars B.S. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: More Star Wars B.S.
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-30-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Despite George Lucas's best efforts to push digital projection, only 19 theaters will be showing his Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones using digital projectors when it opens on May 16, Wired magazine reported on its website Monday. The 19 are: Harkins Arrowhead Cinemas 18 (Peoria, AZ); AMC Media Center 6 (Burbank, CA); Edwards Irvine Spectrum 21 Megaplex (Irvine, CA); El Capitan Theatre (Los Angeles, CA); Loews Century Plaza (Los Angeles, CA); AMC Mission Valley 20 (San Diego, CA); AMC 1000 Van Ness (San Francisco, CA); AMC Pleasure Island 24 (Lake Buena Vista, FL); AMC South Barrington 30 (South Barrington, IL); AMC Studio 30 (Olathe, KS); General Cinema Framingham 16 (Framingham, MA); Show Case Cinemas Randolph (Randolph, MA); Edgewater Multiplex Cinemas (Edgewater, NJ); AMC Empire 25 Theatres (New York); Clearview Ziegfeld Theatre (New York); Loews Cineplex E-Walk (New York); Cinemark at Valley View (Valley View, OH); Showcase Cinemas Springdale (Springdale, OH); Cinemark at Legacy (Plano, TX). Lucas has said that no theater will be allowed to show Episode III unless it is equipped with digital projectors.

On the last line. Then he better pay for every single one they put in. What an ass! Of course we know by then it will be on film too.

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 04-30-2002 06:32 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of three theatres that are not on your list so, I think you are way off......

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-30-2002 06:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Bob on this one. I think that's a media gossip thing. If Episode II is only being released on 19 screens then that's pretty sad given the big push for digital. Plus that just makes the quoted threat about Episode III being released only to digital theaters extra foolish. On another thread someone quoted Lucas as saying Episode II could not be shown in DLP on a screen larger than 45 feet wide. That's truly sad, for a movie like Star Wars NEEDS a much bigger screen than that!

Let's just wait for Ted's announcement tomorrow with the official number.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 07:38 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very interesting that according to the list, both the AMC Empire 25 and the Loews E-walk will be running it, as they are two competing operations that are literally right across the street (42nd) from each other (albiet with two different digital projection systems). Wonder how that was arranged? I guess clearences aren't much of an issue in the DLP world. . . Moi? I'll be at the Ziegfeld watching it in Barco-vision.

I'd just like to say two words about Lucas' plans for episode three: my ass.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 07:57 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap. Just crap. You can add to that list Cinema World 16 (Melbourne, FL), my new theater. As a matter of fact, our digital projector arrived today! Yay!

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-30-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree it sounds like a low number to me too. I snagged that off of ShowbizData's web site and posted it quickly. I totaly forgot about the screen contest we had going. Sorry about that Brad and Ted.

Bob Maar

- posted 04-30-2002 08:11 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the first Digital Presentation I showed it on two screens that we 50 Feet wide. So am I to assume that as digital arrives, it arrives on a smaller screen?

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 04-30-2002 08:14 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Lucas is so worried about his movie's presentation being perfect, he should be concerning himself on the 99% of the theaters who will be running his movie on real film because that is what the majority of people will watch the movie on. I have film cleaners on every screen and run FilmGuard on every show. Because of this every movie that leaves my theater is flawless no matter how long it runs and he is welcome to swing by any day of the week and check it out for himself. Since digital is not up to the quality level of film yet and my films do not wear through use, the presentation at my theater will be superior to any digital presentation for Episode II. Sorry George, those are the facts.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Bob Maar

- posted 04-30-2002 08:29 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethan, Amen

Let us pray.

Bow your head, George.

PS to Mark: See it at both E-Walk and Ziegfield and then let me know.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-30-2002 09:42 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty clear to me that whoever wrote that article just got a list of the DLP-equipped theatres and assumed that a) all such theatres would run episode 2 and b) there would be no more DLP installations between the date the list was created and opening night. Obviously, both of these assumptions are untrue.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Scott. The El Capitan is HIGHLY unlikely to be showing the film, since the Chinese across the street is expected to get it (at least that's the theatre where those idiot drones have already lined up to buy tickets.

Isn't the request NOT to show the film on screens larger than 45 feet (if this is indeed true) a full admission that digital is NOT as good as film?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 11:58 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can name 5 theatres not on the list. I know that there are some issues going on over at 20th Century Fox that might cause some things to go awry at the last moment - however these digital projectors are going in (or are already there) and Star Wars EPII is booked in Digital. So who knows????????? I know that the week of May 16th I will be watching SW EPII in DLP here in Las Vegas - and Las Vegas wasn't on the list.

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-01-2002 12:12 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I hope we hear more from you on your experiences -good or bad- with and about that thing.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2002 08:56 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Loews E-Walk is NOT playing Star Wars Episode 2 -- DLP or no DLP. Loews does not play 20th Century Fox product in Manhattan.

OTOH why didn't Lucasfilm and 20th arrange for DLP in the UA Battery Park Stadium 16? That theater reopens this Friday (5/3) -- it had been closed for almost 8 months after the collapse of the World Trade Center. Episode 2 will have its world premiere at the UA Battery Park Stadium as part of the Tribeca Film Festival.

I can easily tell that Wired is a sucker for Lucasfilm hype: The magazine referred to the now-defunct General Cinema chain.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2002 10:22 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. They haven't even unpacked the projector head yet, so I have no idea how anything works yet. I'll keep you informed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: