Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Star Wars Episode 2 booking terms. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 2 booking terms.
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 06:18 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that the booking terms for Episode 2 will worse than the ones for Episode 1. One thing that our GM said he had heard was that ole Georgie may go as far as making his own showtimes for the theaters. Come on, I can see it now ten minute intermissions. 10am showtimes. Anyone else out there heard anything along these lines or have anything to add.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 07:12 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I mentioned in another topic,We are hearing that :An appreciable number of indy theatre owners in Quebec independantly are awaiting the final booking terms in order to either book or refuse the picture if terms are anything like the last one, that means that in this Province of 7 million people, S W 2 will be shown in the 4 or 5 major markets (controled by major chains that play anything at any price up here) and most of the rest will wait a few weeks for terms to come down, if not,they'll undoubtebly skip the picture alltogether.Theatre owners are claiming that the last SW was the worst deal they ever had and lost money on their engagements.If they refuse, it will be about 20 or more separate markets that will pass this new one ??? Unlike the last Star wars, there are loads of pictures surrounding this release! An interesting comment heard "If my theatre has to depend one One picture to survive,I might as well close it down right away"

------------------

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 05:16 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dictating showtimes is something I hope no booker agrees to... Lucas only has power over exhibition as long as exhibition refues to say No.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2002 12:20 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone commented on one of the other recent Star Wars threads, theaters will do OK without Star Wars, but what about Star Wars without theaters? I good point....

------------------
This one time, at Projection Camp, I stuck a xenon bulb....

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2002 12:33 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will never see it at a theater. Maybe not at all

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-01-2002 01:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Lucas is so picky about presentation, why does he allow Star Wars to be released on video? Then he has NO control over presentation. Many video setups are mono, 13" screens, poor viewing angles/lighting, bad color adjustments, etc....there are probably even a few black&white sets running the films! Horrors!

If he REALLY was uncompromising, he would show the movies ONLY in theatres and ONLY those theatres with (at least) digital sound. But we all know he really REALLY cares most about the bottom line.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-01-2002 04:40 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Sarcasm switch 'on'<<

Mike, I cannot BELIEVE how sarcastic you are!

>>Sarcasm switch 'off'<<

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage". - Indiana Jones.

Tom Fermanian
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Tom Fermanian   Email Tom Fermanian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, Terms came out today for new Star Wars, Seems almost mirror terms from the last one we are told, In Quebec, a circuit comprised of Indepedent theatres representing 1/3 of the business(205 Screens) in this Province representing about 40 Medium & small markets have REFUSED each independantly to play the picture on opening on account of bloodbath suffered on the last SW instalment.?? This story actualy made the Montreal french papers. What will happen?? No one knows if these theatre owners will relent and play the film. Rumor has it that Georgie couldn't care less about the indy's. he'll open his epic on fewer screens!!the ones that play by his rules, okay, the others be damned!

------------------

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 08:53 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First Print, Minimum 12 weeks,

4 weeks @ 70% vs. 90/10
4 weeks @ 60% vs. 90/10
4 weeks @ 50% vs. 90/10

Second Print, Minimum 8 weeks,

Penalty clause if you pull the prints early, you will be billed for the remainder of the weeks owed at whatever the last numbers were.

I figure this film has 4 great weeks in it and then nothing.

One assumes that if you are in a small local market with no competition you can wait 8 weeks, play the film for as long or short as you like at 50% vs. 90/10. If you are in a market with competition you have to ask yourself; "Can I afford to show this film?"

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2002 11:24 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twelve weeks, wow. I dont know if that will even be played on break anywhere near us then. I dont think even Titanic would have held up for 12 weeks in most markets.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-06-2002 11:57 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Titanic' fared well into its 14th week in the big house in Sebastopol... Running in SDDS no less! It moved to a far smaller house on week 15.

Episode I was no Titanic. I don;t think Episode II will be either.

-Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-07-2002 12:08 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12 weeks? That movie will not survive that long. Just by watching the previews, I give it 4 weeks, if that.

At least it is better than 90/10.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 10:29 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not at liberty to say right now but the terms they have hit us with are abosufreakinglutely unheard of.....

the percentage... Unimagineable....

------------------
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 11:26 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12-week minimum for the first print? 8-week minimum for the second print? Sounds the same as the terms for Episode 1. No wonder all those theater chains started going bankrupt in 2000!

This type of officially sanctioned extortion justifies Loews' policy not to play 20th Century Fox titles in Manhattan.

If Lucasfilm insists on these terms, why doesn't Lucasfilm four-wall screens to show Episode 2? That's how the Bollywood distributors get their movies shown at the Regal megaplexes here in New Jersey.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2002 01:07 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to debate this myself, however I got this in my e-mail, thought Tom and others would enjoy...

>>>Please give it a couple of days and then check out the new web site:
www.georgelucasbites.com

Try and forward to as many drive-ins you know.<<<

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: