Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Considerate pay?

Author Topic: Considerate pay?
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 10:14 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What should a large format Head projectionist and assistant projectionist get paid? I want to give my poorly paid responsible operators a raise. They now make 8.50 and 7.75 and are responsble for a 15000$ print.

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-28-2002 10:19 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMAX used to recomend about $20.00 per hour for the chief projectionist

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-28-2002 12:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a question that isn't easily answered. Cost of living and median salaries vary from region to region. Note that these two terms do not necessarily range together.

code:

Cost of Living
Area Median family income (% of Nat'l Avg)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Rapids MI $32,049 90
Livonia (Detroit) MI 53,523 100
Framingham (Boston) MA 53,270 117
Albuquerque NM 33,746 82
Springfield MO 27,705 61
Lynnwood (Seattle) WA 35,771 88
Ontario (Los Angeles) CA 38,135 69

A chief projectionist should be able to live comfortably (reasonably) in the local economy and not live paycheck to paycheck or have to work a second job.

Part of your question you answered yourself. That person is responsible for overseeing the operation of very expensive equipment and very expensive prints. What is that worth to your institution? Can your institution make up for the increased expense?

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 10:59 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the "newbie" in our booth (although with a bit more knowledge about most things via this site and you guys), and I make 6.25, whereas the highest paid projectionist at our place makes maybe 6.50-6.75 (no actual designated "chief projectionist").

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 09:07 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info...I will pass it on in my next Board meeting. We are a non-profit so it is not about sqeezing pay to make profit, I just need to come up with some ways to creatively market the theater. It should not be that hard...I am finding large format sells itself. After all these years in 35mm houses I am learning a whole new market.
And loving it BTW.

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: