Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Disney releasing prints in large format

Author Topic: Disney releasing prints in large format
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney wants to start distributing new releases to special venue large format in the fall. They want a minimum of 5 shows a day and 10$
adult ticket 8$ kids. They still will let us play our regular venue as we are booked up to next year. But it will cut into our regular showing significantly as our films run on the hour and Disneys are 88 minutes. Do I extend operation hours. Do I take a risk with Disney that their movie will be a hit? Will people come to a museum to see a diney film in large format while it is playing on the local cinema 35mm screen? Isn't asking for 5 shows a day a bit much? Please I am interested in your opinions.

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-28-2002 10:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is novel for disney to let you continue there regular run of product as in the past you had to run there film exclusivly for the run.
Does any of the local plex's have large format as if so it probably isn't worth the effort to show it as well as they will grab the majority of the BO

Our experieince at cinesphere ith 3 comercial IMAX theatres in compitition in the same city is if it isn't exclusive it isn't worth running

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 10:36 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are the only large format in the north half of the state. There is one other in in Alamagordo. An IMAX DOME at the space museum

------------------
Jan Hackett

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-28-2002 12:10 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
How well does Disney product fit into your institution's mission statement? Another unnamed institution with a relatively new Imax theater has had to do some creative dance moves to explain the huge profits their LF theater generates with commercial (non-mission-fit) product for their non-profit organization.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 02:14 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that when you allow a distributor to dictate the prices you charge and the number of shows you must run, you are asking for trouble. Only you can determine what the traffic will bear in your venue and how many shows are supportable considering turnaround time, staffing needs, etc., and whether additional hours of operation make sense in terms of attendance. If you are uncomfortable with it, walk away.

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 09:15 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Gordon, this is totally new for Diney. They want to market on the large format and since 70% of large format is special venue..museums etc... they are being more ceative. Adam I will check into our mission statement that is a big concern,thanks for bringing that to my attention. Of course all our profits would go into bring more dinasaur bones and exhibits to the museum. Disney is offering the educational packets for the schoolgroups. I guess Lion King can be an educational experience. John thanks for your input. I wonder what the other museum screens are gonna do. Maybe we should form a coalition with Buena Vista. Any other museum screen mangers or operators in here.

------------------
Jan Hackett

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 10:50 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan: Disney has been handling IMAX/giant-screen releases for over 2 years. Fantasia 2000 opened in IMAX/giant-screen on 1/1/2000 (the 35mm release came that summer). The current re-release of Beauty and the Beast is IMAX/giant-screen only. Ultimate X opens 5/10 as IMAX/giant-screen only.

In fact, Disney will open Treasure Planet in IMAX/large-screen this Thanksgiving -- day and date with 35mm.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 06:09 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wonder if Disney will put their Dinosaurs feature in large format. That would be perfect for Jan's Theater.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-29-2002 07:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Dinosaur" might be pretty good in IMAX, but only if the film were completely re-rendered in a much higher format than the puny 2K standard so many movies use. The live action background plates mixed in with the CGI might not look very good either blown up to IMAX size. Certainly it would be too much to ask to reshoot those portions in 15/70.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: