Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Loews and Cinemark merging?

Author Topic: Loews and Cinemark merging?
Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 12:17 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First we have Regal swallowing up UA and Edwards. Now, according to Variety, Loews and Cinemark are said to be talking about a merger.

Are we gonna see movie theaters going the way of TV and radio -- only 5 or 6 companies dominating the business?

At least the story acknowledges that Cinemark walked away from a merger with Cineplex Odeon in the 1990s. Swallowing up Cineplex Odeon was the worst thing that ever happened to Loews.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-27-2002 12:22 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope if something like that does happen that all the company controls are handled by Cinemark. That's if they want things done right.

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2002 10:49 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never worked with Loews, but having much experience with Cinemark, I don't know if total control by Cinemark is a good thing.
Judging by your picture, you look like a Cinemark employee, and find it hard to believe that one can side with total control from Cinemark. Many who have worked in or with management or the corporate office to an extended degree with Cinemark might disagree with that statement. A while back a Cinemark technician wanted to ban Filmguard from Cineamrk booths because it was flammable?..........

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-28-2002 12:40 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have met some cinemark managers and most of them cannot stand the way things are run. Penny pinching doofusses.

Cinemark and Century BOTH have this unwritten rumor in thier manager ranks that filmguard destroys prints. They don't have any basis in fact and also wont make it written rule because they know better, they just don't want to go the extra mile and BUY THE STUFF!!!

As for any merger between loews and cinemark, who the hell cares? Merge to thier hearts content and I hope that more of them close! Shrink you giant theater eaters shrink I say!!!

Dave

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2002 01:01 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you want a company that is just getting out of bankruptcy to handle things. Maybe some of that penny pinching saved Cinemark from going into bankruptcy along with the others. Trust me I have had more fairness out of Cinemark for the past 10 years than I ever did out of loews with the time I worked for them. In fairness to both companies they need to work together.

NOTE: These are just opinions not that we have any control over what will or will not happen if the merger does come to pass. We will all work and deal with what ever happens. That is just how this business goes.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 03:25 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, Cinemark not using filmguard has nothing to do with it being flammable or any fears over print damage...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-28-2002 03:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure that's Century Dave and you aren't accidentally confusing that with another chain? Century buys an awful lot of FG overall.

Jim, there's a million excuses regarding Cinemark and FG, but the real reason is actually very cut and dry. Care to email me the flavor you heard? (Odds are I've already heard it, but it continues to provide humor.)

Anyway, overall IMHO both companies have their pros and cons about the way they are run. Ideally if both got together and took the best of both worlds, it could be a good company, but I don't see it happening that way. I don't think Lee Roy will want to miss out on all that real estate profit for new construction, so the way I see it, if he doesn't get full control, he won't do it.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-28-2002 12:15 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

When I was in Oakland last year touring Century's operations, I spoke with several managers and all of them had this opinion that Film Guard is nasty and destroys prints. Even after asking if they are confusing it with some other chemical they all just went apeshit on me about the stuff about how terrible it was. That was the key reason I did not join the company.

Now that was just eight GM's and about half a dozen MIT's, and even though they had the claim that this was how ALL of the GM's felt, it doesnt necessarily mean that that is so. I have also known of two Century GM's that love the stuff, so there are some century's out there that use it religeously. So I retract my previous statement that insinuated that ALL century managers hate the stuff. I think that there are plenty of operators that just dont want to be bothered with anything that requires five minutes of thier time.

As for Cinemark? I have known 11 different GM's, and they all have a pretty nasty opinion of thier home company. I do agree that the penny pinching has saved thier buts to some degree, but what has really saved thier buts is thier multi-billion dollar overseas operations. Even if the states operations lose money, they still have ungodly profits to be had elsewhere to cover expenses till things pick up.

As for would I want a business just coming out of bankruptcy to handle business affairs, the answer is yes. Any business that can come out of reorganization and be stronger for it has my vote of cautious confidence. The only way out of the bankruptcy is by losing the ends of the business that lose money or do not profit, and by changing accounting practices in such a way that ensure timely payments of debt. I think that Loews can emerge as a power player if they do take over operations. Even if Cinemark and Loews merge, I am sure that only the stateside operations of Cinemark would be effected during an operations change to loews, otherwise, cinemark would swallow up loews like it was breakfast cereal.

Speaking of breakfast cereal, I love fruity pebbles and cinnamon life.

Dave

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 05:44 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard of this but I also heard of AMC and Cinemark as well. From what I have gathered mergers will be the big plays of the near future. Supposedly the plan is to get two or three major theatre chains that have control of about 75% to 90% of the screens but also can cooperate. This way they can put up a better fight against film companies and pricks like Mr. Skywalker. As far as Lee Roy selling out he probably never will. If a merger with Cinemark will happen then operations will most likely go the way Cinemark has them but corporate will be another matter. I know most people do not agree with this but we have to look at the facts. Over the past two years Cinemark is the only major chain that did not declare bankruptcy or sell out or go through any major changes. They must be doing something right.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2002 05:13 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark and Village Roadshow are another rumor.. Although I heard this Lowes thing from a vendor about 2 weeks before Variety reported it...

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2002 01:35 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BUY LOEWS STOCK QUICK

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2002 04:20 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loews is not touching Cinemark for now. Loews is, however, swallowing up Cinemex in Mexico and will convert that chain to the Loews name.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-20-2002 06:54 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone is finally buying Cinemex? That one has been on the market for quite a while.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: