Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » To sell popcorn or not to sell popcorn?

Author Topic: To sell popcorn or not to sell popcorn?
Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2002 07:12 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am operating a 270 seat 8:70 Iwerks estreme screen in a museum. We currently change films every 6 months. Our show running time is 40 minutes. Our main attendees are school kids on field trips. We are considering selling concessions to boost our profit margin. However our auditorium is very nice and CLEAN. I was thinking of selling popcorn and flavored bottle water. However we only have a twenty minute intermission. We currently have a no food or drink policy. What are your thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a 3D Imax theater down in Chatanooga, TN a few years ago. They were selling concessions. Popcorn, candy, and Soda. They always had the popcorn already in the buckets ready go all you had to do was get one out of the warmer. The Imax was located at the aquarium. The thing that I noticed was that the groups of kids that came in from the schools did not have any concessions with them. But when I watched the 2D presentation of Everest. Custumers were waiting in line to buy concessions. If the theater never sold concessins and no food or drinks were allowed in the theater then I would say that you will probably need a better cleaning staff too.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 04-22-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Popcorn and soft drinks are almost pure profit. But the popcorn machines are very expensive. With proper care, the popcorn machine will last a long time, and will pay for itself very quickly.

Pepsi or Coke usually supplies the soft drink dispensers, and will maintain them for you.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2002 09:19 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends what your predominant business is.

In my experience most school groups don't allow purchases.

Perhaps ask the schools what their rules allow?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-22-2002 11:19 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a special school group combo. It get used about 15% of the time, I would guess. The rest of the groups purchase nothing. We also offer school groups a ham sandwich-type of lunch break between double features. But then again, we have a banquet room located off of the main lobby.

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 09:40 AM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my question is "How hard is it to keep a steep stadium house clean?" Do any of you use central vaccumming?

------------------
Jan Hackett
Theater Operations Manager
Extreme Screen Dynatheater
NM Museum of Natural History Foundation

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-29-2002 12:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the area between the seats carpeted or just the aisles
If it is carpeted between the seats our experience is the carpet needs to be replaced every 2 years since we started selling concessions for all shows which cuts into the profit margin of the bar bigtime

Jan Hackett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2002 04:25 PM      Profile for Jan Hackett   Email Jan Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Bar...now thats a thought..the area between the seats is concrete

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2002 01:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spilled soda is more hassle than popcorn...at least you can sweep popcorn up. With your idea of flavored bottled water, you would minimize the spill problem (some people will STILL find ways to spill it) but you wouldn't make near as much $$ as you would with a Pepsi or Coke machine

Also, do your seats have cup holders? That'd cut a big percentage of spills.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2002 02:09 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My old Imax in the Museum of Natural History in Denver didn't sell popcorn or any concessions. The room was very nice and fully carpeted.

I just saw Space Station 3D at the Sony Lowe’s Metreon in San Francisco and they let all of their concessions in to the Imax screen. So I happily ate my fake buttered, Pop Secret, popcorn while fiddling with my LCD shutter glasses.

I'd say go for it. Don't let theatre cleanliness stand between you and a potential boat payment (profit).

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-02-2002 03:47 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The deal with institutional theaters is that most of the visitors are on a school field trip. And most of the time, they do not purchase anything "extra" like concessions, because (1) the school does not want to pay for it or (2) the teachers don't want to deal with the hassle of pay-all-together-or-pay-individually or (3) the films are only 40 minutes long and the kids can wait until lunch after the show. That's my experience with it, anyway.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 08:37 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found when I do special shows for schools that about half will allow the kids to purchase vending and half will not. But then again when schools do come to regular theatres its for a "special treat" as opposed to going to IMAX's for educational films.

But I've found for cleanup when I do schedule the shows I'll say something to the teachers doing the scheduling if they do want vending it would be a great help to me if they could make an announcement to ask the kids to please help pick up their trash on the way out. 9 times out of 10 the kids do then pick of their trash and I only have to sweep the auditorium instead of doing a good cleaning.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2002 10:10 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're gonna sell drinks, you have to sell fountain drinks. The profit margins are much, much, much higher, and like was earlier mentioned, you can get Coke or Pepsi to provide you with the machine as part of the contract. Bottled water is good too as an alternative to free tap water. Overall, I think your profits with corn and pop will be substantially higher than the cost of keeping things clean. We seem to have more of a problem with gum anyway, which we don't even sell.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-11-2002 10:35 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bottled water seems to be a big seller at the movies around here. (Although Oregon law requires that all food service locations offer free tap water, and they cannot charge for a cup.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: